Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Talking First Check!
    I finally got a check from CJ. My first check ever from anywhere besides my day job, actually. Thank for everyone's continued help.

ABW Ambassador
    Congratulations!

That first one is always a thrill.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Congrats!

I'm sure it's the first of many more to come.

Congratulations! That first affiliate check always brings on a good feeling -- it's confirmation that someone out there really is going to pay you for this.

The good news: I still get excited when I get an affiliate check in the mail, even 9 or 10 years after getting the first one. Strange -- I feel better about a $26 check than I do about a $60 auto-deposit, though I also get annoyed by the need to go to the bank to deposit the checks...

Curious
    If you don't mind telling: How was the ROI on your first check?

(somebody had to ask)

geoff marcy
    [B]geofferson marcy[/B]
    [I]affiliate manager[/I]
    [URL=http://www.advaliant.com]www.advaliant.com[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.dna11.com]www.dna11.com[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    Congrats! Yes, the first one validates that there is a reason to do this, no matter how much it is, it proves you *can* make money at this And Mark, I agree, it never gets old
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Congratulations JWA!!! Yep it's a great feeling when you see something you start catch on and actually start generating income. That's what independence is all about.

Had an idea to increase your income too.....

Mark mentions that he doesn't like going to the bank to deposit. So maybe you could offer to split commissions with him in exchange for making the trips for him!!

Congratulations Johnny
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Don't spend it all in one bar.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Congrats man. I am new here and threads like this encourage newbies like me to work more and dedicatedly.

Congrats, johnny!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWebAffiliate
    I finally got a check from CJ. My first check ever from anywhere besides my day job, actually. Thank for everyone's continued help.
    Congrats Johnny!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Welch
    Strange -- I feel better about a $26 check than I do about a $60 auto-deposit, though I also get annoyed by the need to go to the bank to deposit the checks...
    Speak for yourself. I'll take direct deposit any day. There's nothing like getting money you don't even have to go to the bank for!

Nice,
    I Hope to do the same soon.

Nice! Congrats xD I remember my first CJ xxx Euro check i got :P was nice xD

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_mayhem
    Congrats man. I am new here and threads like this encourage newbies like me to work more and dedicatedly.
    One of the reasons why I posted. That and to thank everyone.

Now the truth is I haven't made a profit. I mean I have a check, but if you factor everything in, it's not much. But what it mostly was was encouragement.

It really depends upon the way you look at it. I prefer the positive side here .

If this recount helps anyone good:

I started out in January and made the decision that I would give this project at least one full year before I made an assessment or if it was a "pipe dream." I don't remember where I heard about affiliate marketing. I just remember feeling it was legitimate. I believe this was around the time I found ABW. I'm sure I could find my first post somewhere. Anyway...

I started out with a content management system (dotnetnuke). It was/is a cookware site. To day I have sold a little under $7 on it and made about $20 - $30 in adsense. I spent at least a hundred part-time hours creating the site, tweaking it and writing unique article cookware reviews. I chose cookware because I had all this cookware lying around, like the food network and thought, "Hey, that stuff's just sitting in the cabinet. Why not make some money off it." As we speak, at one time the site actually made it to six in Yahoo, three in MSN, and 36 on Google. Not a bad feat for a newbie. It just doesn't convert, however. It is also very difficult to keep up a website that makes no money. Plus I ran out of stuff to write about (cupboard's bare)!

I decided to experiment with AdWords. I do not know if this was a mistake or not. I'm still judging. I am quite sure that back then I thought I was going "get rich quick." That is a bad thing. If you are newbie dispense with this thought. Even if you get it can will be bad for you, in my opinion. Folks may not want to hear this, but I have done a lot of soul searching during this time and changed a lot concerning businesses. The Bible has been my friend and God has shown me many placed in my heart where greed and covetousness rule.

Okay, back to the adwords, I started with adwords and spent a lot of money on the cookware website. I sold zero. Then, for whatever reason, thought I was sell a shoe. Finally, back in may, I sold a shoe where the adwords ad went straight to the website, just like "the get rich" guys said I should do, not even needing a website. At this point, I went a little nutty, and spent a few hundred dollars to come up empty. Finally, I decided I needed a real website. I paid CJ $200 for the datafeeds and built my site with C#, Asp.Net, Webmerge (and associated tools like Access, SQL Server). After this I achieved no SERP and was immediately dismayed. I quit doing anything for a little over a month. I was going to quit, but then I remembered my promise to do this for one year, at least.

I went back to adwords and started to be more specific. I started to make sales. In fact, from July to August I made more than the entire seven months before this. In total counting a couple of sales from earlier in the year, I made $326 after reversals; however, I had to pay $200 to CJ. For weeks, I saw the negative balance move slowly away. It was the hardest money I have ever worked for in my life.

September dried up until the end of the month, now, without reversals yet, I am up to $182.

To date, I have spent:

$125 (approximately) on hosting
    $651 in adwords
    $200 for Datafeed (but that's not really on a credit card)
    LOTS of hours and emotion

Depending upon how you look at it

Spent $976
    ROI $509

this is not bad, in my opinion, for someone with no business experience.

Now, I am spending about $50 AdWords to make $150 return on investment. I'm still working on my site (though it hasn't changed a lot lately, just landing pages), would love to not rely on AdWords, and though I still get discouraged all the time because I didn't make a sale that day, I am learning a lot and enjoying myself.

Thank you again. I Hope this helps new people.

(sorry for typos and grammar; up early today)

Really interesting story there, and an inspiration to those who haven't received their first cheques (me included!).

Good luck in AMing

Great post! A real honest view of the struggles many face when building sites to make a profit.

I got lucky w/my first site and made sales within a few weeks and it is/was a real motivater. If you are comfortable doing adwords then thats a real bonus.

It takes new sites 3 or more monthes to rank (in my experience) if you are ACTIVELY doing all the SEO yourself. Just keep building links in with the right anchor text from as many legit sources you can find (articles, directories, socialsites, etc...)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate

To date, I have spent:

$125 (approximately) on hosting
    $651 in adwords
    $200 for Datafeed (but that's not really on a credit card)
    LOTS of hours and emotion

Depending upon how you look at it

Spent $976
    ROI $509
    You probably have already thought of this but.............

Spent $976
    ROI $509
    Net Loss=465.00...........This is the cost of education..........Learning curve....

Without the education, the future profits will be "0". By buying this education, chances are better that the next year will be very profitable.

One benifit is that the $465.00 is a tax deduction. Depending on your tax bracket, your loss is less than the 465.00.

this is not bad, in my opinion, for someone with no business experience.

Now, I am spending about $50 AdWords to make $150 return on investment. I'm still working on my site (though it hasn't changed a lot lately, just landing pages), would love to not rely on AdWords, and though I still get discouraged all the time because I didn't make a sale that day, I am learning a lot and enjoying myself.
    The key word here is fun. Fun and enjoyment make it somewhat easier to climb the hill.
    Last edited by Witzer; September 26th, 2006 at 10:40 AM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Love it! You're on you way to the promised land! Congrats!

Your hosting sounds like you're overpaying (hope to hear it's for a long term deal and therefore a sunk costs that will make your future ROI get better faster).

And darn it, I wish CJ would drop that $200 feed fee, it stifles which is the contra-action they should be striving for in all they do.

Congratulations and it was a very nice story Hope you see many more checks to come in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Love it! You're on you way to the promised land! Congrats!

Your hosting sounds like you're overpaying (hope to hear it's for a long term deal and therefore a sunk costs that will make your future ROI get better faster).

And darn it, I wish CJ would drop that $200 feed fee, it stifles which is the contra-action they should be striving for in all they do.
    No, your right. I'm overpaying. I'm just payed up at the moment. Another thing I learned, but haven't done yet is to buy a reseller account and throw up a site whenever I want (and for other people to).

Congrats!

You're making the first of a lot of "mistakes" that you'll learn way more from than you could learn just reading a book. "The School of Hard Knocks."
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Not counting PPC...

all the other costs were one-time only up front costs

everything else will be gravy

Congratulations, Johnny!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Great job Johnny and thanks for sharing your success and experiences with everyone!

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Congrats Johnny!

Speak for yourself. I'll take direct deposit any day. There's nothing like getting money you don't even have to go to the bank for!
    I think Johnny is point out that there is a satisfaction of holding a check as opposed to not seeing it via DD.

It get a bit tired to run to the bank each time youget a check.

p.s.... more check are on the way

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast