Scoop of the day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Pop-under advertisements, the oft-annoying windows that spring up after a requested Web page, might pack a financial punch to the publishers supporting them if one dot-com has its way. full story: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...3/tc_cn/931069

LMAO!!

Please. First off, big deal, one stupid country gives a patent, wooohoooo. What are they going to do about the other ten billion websites outside of the US.

This reminds be of the BIOS patents. So many other companies just hired programmers to program BIOS differently.

ABW Ambassador
    Yup....and whatever happened to the '.gif' thing....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well the ABW member sites using pop unders and merchant/affiliates like ExitFuel will soon get a bill for every Ad served. You can bet Yahoo nad the NY Times and Doubleclick are in for royalities big time. I always respected my visitors more than iritating them with popups & unders. More merchants will start to appreciate us for the real Value Add we bring into play without the ploys Ad agencies and portals use. Notice how the article link brings up a pop-under and those FLASH Ads (top & sides)that piss off the visitors to Yahoo. They are concerned that rich media Ads are forcing their users into installing AdBlockers that also kill of affiliate revenues and decreasing Yahoo page views.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

You wouldnt think that anybody would want to fess up to being the inventor of annoying popunders, would you?

Its a bit like holding your hand up to being the one that farted, nothing to boast about is it?

ABW Ambassador
    It's such an incredibly stupid claim.

As if they can say they invented the javascript function window.blur

What a farce!

@Zade [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ROTFLOL

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zade:
    You wouldnt think that anybody would want to fess up to being the inventor of annoying popunders, would you?

Its a bit like holding your hand up to being the one that farted, nothing to boast about is it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Raises hand...*

[edit] 'scuse me [/edit]

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: Celicaphile ]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It's like saying,
    "Hey! I invented telemarketers calling at 6:00 PM while everyone is trying to eat dinner. Give me credit!"

I invented pay toilets. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    [SIDEBAR]The .gif thing is still very much in play for the developers of graphics software. They either pay licensing fees or they don't include .gif as a format option in their programs.

The whole issue over whether Unisys/IBM ever intended to force licensing fees on the end-user is kind of murky. Either they never took that stance or they changed that stance nearly immediately... but of course, legend and myth is part of the Internet and for months/years after Unisys made it clear they were talking about program developers, people were screaming that you shouldn't use gifs on your web site cuz Unisys might sue you.[/SIDEBAR]

I doubt many companies are gonna pay royalties - more likely, they'll just find some new, more horrible way of making our surfing a miserable experience.

ABW Ambassador
    Like those stupid ads I see where a car drives across the screen. I frequently use Netsols whois, and there are those adds that appear to be DHTML of a car or something on the screen. Makes me mad because no matter what I do, I can't read the text on the page, and many times, I can't go on about my business like filling in the whois text box until the ad is done and closed. BTW, fastclick is now offering these ads.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Those iMotors rich media Ads are the ones Yahoo users are complaining about. They would load all the way and the damn Ad brokers pushing them have iMortage and iHomes and others crapping up the NET.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread