Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    3 AOL Subscribers Sue Over Data Release
    I am still young but does anyone else remember when AOL WAS the internet? Amazing...

NEW YORK -- Three AOL subscribers who suddenly found records of their Internet searches widely distributed online are suing the company under privacy laws and are seeking an end to its retention of search-related data.

The lawsuit is believed to be the first in the wake of AOL's intentional release of some 19 million search requests made over a three-month period by more than 650,000 subscribers, including the three plaintiffs _ two unnamed Californians and Kasadore Ramkissoon of Richmond County, N.Y.

Filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Oakland, Calif., the lawsuit seeks class-action status. It does not specify the amount of damages being sought.

AOL already has apologized for the release, which it blamed on a researcher who had failed to gain proper clearances. The researcher and another AOL employee have been fired, and the company's chief technology officer has resigned. AOL also pledged to name its first chief privacy officer.

The rest- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...500785_pf.html
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

hey, I remember when it was considered a dating service . . .

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ironic that AOL would profess its hate and lead the parade against those immoral black hearted spammers, while all the while using data for a more sophisticated form of their own spamming. An even worse spam practice than the ner do wells that they professed were scoundrels.

I'll reserve judgment until we see how the trial (or admission and settlement out of court) comes out - but this would not surprise me at all. Bottom line is that if we are going to apply privacy rules, they apply to everyone - including AOL.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I get the feeling AOL may not be around long.

Without the $1 billion (correct me if I am wrong on that number) from Google, I think they already would be.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread