Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I want popcorn, and I want it now!
    I want , and I want it now!

This is from Jeffrey Gitomer www.gitomer.com (I highly recommend his newsletter and books for all you AMs and sales types)

I had six things to do this past Saturday. One of them was to stop by the hardware store and get some picture hooks. I went to Blackhawk Hardware rather than Home Depot, because Ace Blackhawk Hardware, the Ace Hardware store in the Park Road Shopping Center, is right by Corners (my framer) and the Suarez Bakery (best donuts on the planet).

Oh, did I mention that Ace Blackhawk Hardware also gives away ? They pop in the store and they give it to all their patrons. Their is so popular and prolific that several of the stores next to them have signs on the door that say, “No .” Pretty interesting.

You’d think a retail store would say, “Welcome” on the door, but instead they say “No .” Anyway, I’m at the store, and it’s all about the . (You know how you go to a place and you can already taste the food before you get there?) I’m thinking “” as I park the car. Not “hardware store,” “.” You know what I mean.

I go in the store, head for the machine, and there’s a guy in front of me scooping it in the little bags they give away. I look down in the thing, and there’s only enough for one bag. It was almost all gone. Then, I looked inside the popper hopper, and there’s none in there. I’m thinking, “Oh rats, this guy’s taking ALL the , and there’s none left, and none cooking.”

Then, I thought (positive thinker that I am), there might be enough for two bags. But the guy in front of me keeps scooping, and he’s taking it all. Come on pal, leave me five kernels. Finally, he finishes scooping, turns around, and hands me the bag and says, “Here, this is for you.”

WOW!

My mindset was completely against the guy when I first arrived. “This guy’s a pig. He’s taking it all. What the heck is this?” Then, all of a sudden, 30-seconds later, he hands the to me. “Whoa… thanks!” What a nice guy. Now, he’s all of a sudden the nicest guy in the world because of manners and a random act of kindness. AND, this guy was just like me -- a beautiful, bald guy. His mom probably taught him how to share when he was growing up.

I didn’t know how to thank the guy, so I kept walking around the store. I didn’t need anything anymore. I already got what I wanted. I was hoping I would bump into “Mr. Kindness,” so I could thank him again. I thanked him three times. Then I saw him in the parking lot and I said, “Hey, guy, thanks!”

Now, I could have just said no. But I thought it would be more of an insult to him to say no to his gesture, his random act of kindness. I was so humbled by the surprise ending.

All day long I was holding doors, smiling at everyone, saying hello to everyone – being kind to everyone I came in contact with. I told everyone the “ story” and I decided to tell you -- to challenge you…

When is the last time you performed a random act of kindness? What kind of random acts of kindness are you performing on an everyday basis? And what kind of impact are you (could you be) making on other people -- your customers, your co-workers, your friends, your family?

You don’t have to save the world, just give them some , or whatever your “” might be. I promise you, you can change minds, you can changes attitudes, and you can create an attitude of friendliness that will be passed on to others. How powerful is that?

Random acts of kindness are almost always passed on. Pass it on. Pass it on.

Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Great Post! I wish there were people like that in the world

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Now that is so cool, I actually went to my local Ace hardware store last Saturday, and indeed, I did have a bag of ! They had a popper in the store and when a salesperson saw me looking at it, she went over and got me a bag.

I'm a sucker for .

http and a telephoto
    Matt, that used to be in my sig, I love to do them, and love to encourage others to do them. Random, and anonymous.... It was that kind of thing that kept me sane earlier this year....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I just really liked this story for some reason.

Jeffrey Gitomer is an amazing writer. If you are in sales, customer service, or anything that has to do with dealing with people, I highly recommend him.

He has a ton of articles for free on his site that are awesome too.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I just made my kid some ...does that count??lol...

Its amazing how a small act as that can change your whole day/outlook

Great post

Thanks for reminding us.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Yeap, I do em all the time, too. I inherited from my Mom cos she would always do it. I love to do it and see reactions from people too cos you've surprised them It hardly ever takes more than a few seconds even or so just to compliment a cashier at a store if she looks like she's having a bad day when you're in line. She might have pretty nails all done up so I can tell her how pretty they look or tell a new Mom how adorable her baby is, even holding a door open for a person...takes one second. Helping somebody who might be a little bit smaller to get something they're reaching for in a store...could go on an on. I just grew up watching my Mom I guess and it's a no brainer to me, don't even think about it...I just do it.
    I know this'll probably sound really stupid...but got this from my Mom too. Guess our way of helping the world not to be so prejudiced at times. If I'm around anybody who might be of a different race or something....I'll go out of my way to smile at em and definitely if they have a baby...compliment them on how cute the baby is, or a pretty dress....anything. Figure I'm sorta making up a teeny bit if anybody might have said or done anything showing any sort of prejudism towards that person in the past.
    Hmmm even email my favorite affiliate managers at times reminding them how much I appreciate their being nice and helpful. lol OK, some of them....they probably get sick of hearing it. lol
    My husband says my one neice and I are clones and she does the same thing and has taught her kids to be that way, too. There's lots of us out there I think....just lots of times think it's hard seeing cos of a lot of the bad that's out there too.

Ya know Matt ummm your post is really killing me. lol I've taken a vow of no . lol For health reasons my husband can't eat so since he can't... I can't bring myself to eat it in front of him or even not in front of him cos then I'd be guilt ridden knowing I had eaten it when he couldn't....so no for me Reading your post....um kinda hard not to think about it now.

Awww come on...

You sure you can't go somewhere and enjoy some and not feel guilty?

No reason to feel guilty. I am sure there are things you can't do that he can.

We only get a handful of things we truly enjoy...and if happens to be one of them, have at it.

Plus its a healthy snack without too much butter or salt.

I stick to the soy chips though. They are quit filling and tasty. Too bad I cannot post affiliate links...I would sign-up post a soy chip link
    Matt McWilliams

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Matt, I am going to bookmark this to read to my kids. They get snotty, crabby, poopy and snappy by the end of the day. My wife and I have been trying to teach then that the world perceives you by the way you present yourself. Besides the "eating " animation will better make the point (it made me laugh so much that I almost peed myself)!

WOW! Did not expect it to have that much of an impact Chuck

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly enjoyed reading it and took the message to heart today.
    Matt McWilliams

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Great post Matt!

If everyone realizes that "spreading the love" goes so much farther than just the original act of kindness, we'd have an amazing planet.
    As the story says, the guy who was given the last bag of was so touched, he went around being nice to everyone that day. That one guy who handed him the touched many more lives in a positive way than he realized. It's perfect. :-)

All we have to do is be kind ... Consider every nice thing we do for someone is passed on tenfold and then passed on tenfold again. Wow ... what an impact ONE PERSON can make! We should all take our power to spread love seriously. :-) LOL - Sounds like old hippie philosophy but it works.

If everyone who reads Matt's post performs a random act of kindness tomorrow, think of the impact and the positive energy counters all the negative energy currently infesting our world. If more people put out positive energy than negative, the negative won't have a chance.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks Rexanne.

I agree completely with your post. Maybe I was just more aware of it, but for some reason people were nicer to me even yesterday

Maybe they are closet ABW readers
    Matt McWilliams

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Random acts - pay it forward
    I love this thread. I am a big believer in passing along good will and doing nice things for others that make their day a little bit better.

We all get tied up in our own daily activities, be it business, family, finances, driving (yep goodwill applies here too) and the many other things that influence our frames of mind.

If we take a moment here and there to actually think about others, our little random acts of thoughtfulness / kindness have a positive impact on them. There is nothing more satisfying than having a short but friendly conversation with someone new - and nothing more gratifying than knowing that something we did for - or said to another person may have brightened their day or even affected their lives for the better.

Thank you for putting this post up Matty -

Best
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Thanks Rexanne.

I agree completely with your post. Maybe I was just more aware of it, but for some reason people were nicer to me even yesterday

Maybe they are closet ABW readers
    We get "out of others" what we put "into others"
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Smile
    I think it would be cool if everyone periodically wrote here about a random act of kindness from others or themselves...

Today for me, it was something as simple as the guy who walked out of his way to hold the door for me as I carried a large box up to the office...

Led me upstairs and opened all three doors for me. Otherwise I would have had to call up to have someone come down.

Here's to door opening guy
    Matt McWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx

driving (yep goodwill applies here too)

Best
    Probably one of the easiest ways to influence a large amount of people and good to note. Let one person go in front of you or get into your lane of traffic. It's courteous driving, helps the flow of traffic and certainly helps a person who might then pass that frame of mind along to the next guy who's trying to ease into traffic down the line.

Coming up on the holidays, people are out there, shopping, frantic and no one has enough time in the day to get everything done that needs doing. Helping one person on the road leads to a lot less stress for that person who might, in turn, pass on the goodwill to the next driver and so on, or that person might get home a minute sooner and be nicer to his/her family passing on and generating positive energy ... And remember: "what goes around comes around" probably one of the most important "rules" of life ... being nice to others isn't just a completely selfless process.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Here's to door opening guy
    - very cool! A place to honor the good guys and send them positive energy albeit indirectly. They'll get the benefit ... count on it. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

So true Rex.

Yeap, defnitely agree with all of you
    ahhh hmmmm Matt -
    You sure you can't go somewhere and enjoy some and not feel guilty?

Now, you're not being very nice trying to encourage me to fall off the wagon. lol Ya start with just one little bag thinking...oh it's just a little bit it won't hurt nobody...... then it leads to another bag....before ya know it I'll be a closet eater hiding in places so I'm not seen and leaving a trail of those uneaten hard little kernels.

Ya know then once I tasted it.....I couldn't eat it without the butter and salt, so I'd probably be leaving little smudgie marks around the house....he'd come home and what if I have breath??? Ya know too if I started eating it away from home....sooner or later it would only lead to me microwaving it and then the house would be filled with smell or worse yet try to cover it up with some sorta spray and then that would be a sure give away...then I'd be left with all that guilt to have to live with....Nope....I'm better off staying away from that forbidden food.....for my mental well-being...don't think I could live with the guilty feeling I'd be left with cos of just that one little bag when I shamelessly fell off the wagon....and do you want that on your conscience??? I think not. lol

Sorry purplebear...now back away from the ...and run away!
    Matt McWilliams

Alright you guys have done it now. I'm hungry and I don't think I have any in the house. But I'll look.

PS - Found some, eating with one hand, typing with the other!
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread