Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    The Rebate Trick Got Me Again
    Actually it's not really a trick, except for lazy mailers like me. Got a new computer a few weeks ago with $150 rebate. I was so excited about getting a good price on a laptop (factoring the rebate).

But alas, the rebate form still sits on my dresser laughing at me. I've got 5 days to mail it in, but I should just admit defeat. Why must sending mail be such an effort?

Having to get envelopes and stamps. Packing everything up. The worst part is having to write with a pen. Computers have taken away all my wrist power. Having to write anymore than three words makes my hand hurt.

Enough wussy talk for me, I'm going to nap and dream of lost rebates.

ABW Ambassador
    I've never returned one of those rebate things either. They count on people like us

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I hear ya - I miss out on every mail in rebate from pure laziness, too. You could hire someone to fill in the info, lick the stamp, address the envelope and mail it for way less than $150.00 .... you might consider that hiring an asistant would be cost effective in the long run.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

LOL I thought that was just a ME thing.

I bought two products promising rebates in late August, and finally mailed in the rebate forms last week (one of them on the second-to-last day allowed). One of the products promised TWO rebates but after opening the box, I learned that one of the two offers had expired a week before I bought it.

I despite rebates, because the ONLY reason they are offered is because the merchant knows that X% of consumers will not submit the rebate paperwork, and Y% more will have their rebate claims rejected. In many cases, the rebate is simply a "bait and switch" tactic.

And with a rebate (unlike a "sale price" or "instant savings"), you are paying sales tax on the full price. Given the choice between buying a $700 computer or an equivalent $810 computer with a $120 rebate, I would always choose the $700 computer with no rebate, because I'd save $10 in sales tax and I'd avoid the rebate hassles.

While shopping for a computer this month, I stormed out of all three big-box consumer-electronics superstores because of false rebate promises (expired or requiring multiple additional purchases; in most cases, it required multiple requests to obtain the actual rebate forms to determine that the rebate offers did not match the advertising claims).

In the end, I bought a Dell computer, in part because there was no subterfuge or deception (though Dell does promote rebates on some of its products at times). I ended up paying about the same price I would have paid for a comparable system from one of the electronics superstores.

The main "down side" is that Dell won't provide support for any software, including Windows, and also including all the pre-installed software which lists "Dell support" as the place to call for information. (In another thread this week, I detailed how difficult it was for me to identify many of the pre-installed programs and determine whether they could be removed safely.)

Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Store
    The worst part is having to write with a pen. Computers have taken away all my wrist power. Having to write anymore than three words makes my hand hurt.
    Wow, this is so true. A few years ago, I took an exam to "qualify" to teach high school English (since my BA degree didn't include the right coursework). I had written the 3-day bar exam in 1989, so I didn't worry about a mere 4-hour multiple-choice-and-essay exam. Big mistake: the exam had to be written with a . I hadn't written anything with a in many years, and rarely wrote anything longer than a check (and the occasional crossword puzzle) with a pen. Before the first hour of the exam was done, I realized that the hardest part of the exam would be the "physical endurance test" of writing in for four straight hours, and the risk that my handwriting for the last 2 hours was barely legible. (I did pass, but eventually learned that teaching is the "hardest work for the lowest pay" I'd ever done in my life -- though it was a joy to be in the classroom.)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i think i missed out on 3 linksys rebates..still have the UPC but just need a new receipt as they always run different rebates..

Internet Cowboy
    And when they DO send the rebates, they dress them up like junk mail in hopes that they get thrown in the trash. I have gotten rebates in envelopes that were clearly designed to look like a solicitation. When I see a product with a rebate I often pass on it purposely.

Having to get envelopes and stamps. Packing everything up. The worst part is having to write with a pen. Computers have taken away all my wrist power. Having to write anymore than three words makes my hand hurt.
    It's good to know that I am not the only one.

I lost a $50.00 rebate on my Philips monitor, because by the time I decided to mail it, it had expired already.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I've never returned one of those rebate things either. They count on people like us
    Lol. I agree

They know that it is easier just to go and buy the full price product...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    To let you know how devious the mail in Rebate game is just Google "Onrebate" a firm owned by Systemax/TigerDirect. Moral of the story is there are no morals in advertising, especially when the rabate game is TO PLACE HUGE HURDLES to not honor the discounts. No notice anywhere to certify the mailed in forms or publishing the wrong address etc etc. etc. etc.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think there is some rebate management software out there. It is free

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    When I see a product with a rebate I often pass on it purposely.

Me too. Rebate smells of ripoff.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    And when they DO send the rebates, they dress them up like junk mail in hopes that they get thrown in the trash.
    *rummaging through Uncle Scooter's trash*

The first thing I do is Poop those rebates into an envelope...
    I get the rebates done before I ever get into opening the box.

I gather all the receipts, UPC, proof of purchases, upgrade items and what ever else I need and fill out the rebate form. Then I scan all the items and keep a digital record of each rebate and supporting documents on my computer. I print out a hard copy and put in a file folder and check it every so often. Some of these suckers take months to get the money. If there's a problem, I have all the supporting documentation to follow up. It's not that hard folks, your just lazy.

Thankfully, many of the retailers today are forgoing these mail in rebates and maybe this is the future of them. Here's some links.

Best Buy begins rebate elimination program

Dell and OfficeMax eliminate most paper rebates

Slashdot | OfficeMax Drops Mail-in Rebates

If any of you do not have a stamp, pen, scanner or some time, please send your dammed receipt's, UPC tab and rebate form to me.

Poopie
    Rebate King

I love the money and look at you saving all that time not having to fill out the forms.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I hand all that crap to my teenage son and tell him he gets 25% of whatever comes back. Performance marketing, ain't it great.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    When you THINK you're getting $350 rebates...

it's always in "parts"

$10 from the mouse company

$15 from the monitor company, etc.

A YEAR later, you start getting small checks with no identification on them, so even if you try to confirm you got all the rebates you were promised, and they add up to $350, it's impossible

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    When I worked for a company that was/is very heavy on rebate pricing, it was found that less that 50% of the consumer redeem such rebates. The goal of the "system" is to make it as difficult as possible for the rebates to be redeemed, make consumers jump through all kinds of hoops...

The pratice of posting "after rebate pricing" and not clearly stating such is rampant on online websites. Consumers are geting smarter though..
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    When I worked for a company that was/is very heavy on rebate pricing, it was found that less that 50% of the consumer redeem such rebates. The goal of the "system" is to make it as difficult as possible for the rebates to be redeemed, make consumers jump through all kinds of hoops...

The pratice of posting "after rebate pricing" and not clearly stating such is rampant on online websites. Consumers are geting smarter though..
    For electronic companies, it is about 70-75%. Used to work with an electronic company and the rebate amount is calculated by # of redemption, product price, etc and they plug it into their formula.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Man I get excited by the 1 dollar rebate on Hot Dogs LOL the way my finances are if I spend 2 minutes filling out the form and 37 cents for the stamp and nothing on the envelope (I Kept a box as part of my severance from a Real Estate Company were I did a LOT of work at home LOL) the 63 cents "profit" is great news to me. (Shoot I did the happy dance when PayPal put 27 cents into my account to "Test" if it was real I was then afraid they would ask for it back LOL)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GethsemeneRose
    Shoot I did the happy dance when PayPal put 27 cents into my account to "Test" if it was real I was then afraid they would ask for it back LOL)
    Off topic but beneficial to all members here, if you dont have a paypal account, get one pronto and drop some cash in there.

Do you know that paypal is currently paying you 5.03% on your balance? Dunno about your bank, but mine is no where near...and no I don't work for PP

I do like earning cash back bonuses and a 5% return ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I hand all that crap to my teenage son and tell him he gets 25% of whatever comes back.
    Please let Donuts Jr. know that if he wants to outsource, I'll charge him 10% of what he's getting from you.

ABW Ambassador
    That reminds me... I need to write to Sears about a rebate for a washer & dryer we bought a while back that had a rebate. They used a third party rebate processor that apparently went under, or no longer exists, & now they use another third party processor that, of course, has no record of our rebate... jerks...

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Andy:
    Off topic but beneficial to all members here, if you dont have a paypal account, get one pronto and drop some cash in there.
    I just saw a news piece last night on TV about online banks & savings. They don't have the overhead so they can afford to pay more interest. Many are paying 5-6% on savings. Drawbacks include it taking several days to access your cash if you need it, and you have to read terms carefully to avoid fees, etc.

Let's seeee... $50 rebate for my new monitor never redeemed.. a wireless D-Link thingy.. about $30 never redeemed... a $10 office depot cash back which I did try to redeem for the D-Link thing, but it was not good on computer junk (and I was really patting myself on the back for finding it and being so thrifty!) and then I didn't get back in time to use it so it's trash. $10 rebate on a fan and a $50 rebate on a generator.. And then I get excited when I see a commission for $50? something isn't right with my brain.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast