Buying Hits, Pop Ups, Email Marketing, AdSense and Link Exchanges
    Hello,

I'm new to this business but I really want to give it a try because I want to be my own boss. I have a website but I do not receive hits as I thought I would. I do have a few questions.

Hits for your website
    I've seen a lot of companies offering you the opportunity to buy hits. For example, 'You can buy 100,000 hits for only $49.95!' This is hard to believe. How would they do this?

Pop Up Marketing
    This seems to me like a waste of time because I hate pop ups. Why would I pay a company to make my website visible with Pop ups? I think this would make my website's reputation go down the drain. Thoughts?

Email Marketing
    Whenever I receive emails like this I consider it junk email. I would consider anyone sending me emails like this as spam. Thoughts?

AdSense
    Does anyone really make money with this?

Link Exchanges
    I heard SE's like only quality links. Does this qualify as links or just a waste of time?

Does any of this really work or are they all not worth the effort?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

The Yellow Monkey

The only two the "might" be worth the money are adsense and email.

Adsense has the tendency to eat your bank account if you are not carefully managing it.

As for email, there are ways to buy in to opt in lists (usually someone else's big newsletter list) and send out ads. These can be effective and are not "technically" spam, though they may be unwanted.

The other way is to start an informative newsletter of your own and grow it with good content. That way, you've got your own platform for product announcements, sales, etc...

--Jason
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Adsense has the tendency to eat your bank account if you are not carefully managing it.
    Do you mean Adword?

Adsense may make you money, but it won't eat your bank account.

If you have minimal site traffic, don't even bother with adsense you're not going to make enough to feed your family. They pay based on a CPM (impressions, or unique page views). So, if you aren't getting many hits then the payout will be low.

Link exchanges only work well for some people. In my opinion, most people that do link exchanges clutter their site with link exchange partners' banners, text links, and popups and it ends up driving traffic away. Though, if you do this smart it could work depending on who you exchange with.

I've met some big publishers who've made a lot of money with popups, but again most pop up campaigns pay on a CPM, so get your traffic up first. Also keep popup blockers in mind and the general consumer idea about popups being linked with spyware and adware.

Be careful about buying into optin email lists as most email lists are a scam. Also be careful with the email message you send. Make sure you read up on CAN-SPAM compliance.

Most of all, good luck! Getting your site traffic up takes time and work, but keep your head up and you'll get it.
    [FONT=Verdana]Chris Gates[/FONT]

http and a telephoto
    Welcome to ABW I would suggest you start by doing some general reading here about the merchants and networks represented. You will find lots of good information about how to get started and what is the best kind of site to get started with.

Email marketing is difficult if you don't have your own user base already, but if you do have a loyal newsletter established, it can be profitable.

As pointed out, Adsense you get paid per click, Adwords is you buying ads. If you don't do some research you can lose a lot of money using Adwords to get started. It is better to get a site established and do lots of reading before spending your money on paying for ads.

Good luck and have fun reading and learning!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Hits, pops and email stuff you're finding is a huge waste.
    AdSense, as others said, you need existing traffic to click your ads (and you're not ready to spend money on AdWords yet).
    Link Exchanges are almost completely worthless as well today.

Go to the review my site section here at ABW and let members tell you what you might do to improve your site.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

And work on getting some backlinks to your site.

Good luck!

In regards to "traffic generation" and similar promises, don't do it. I've tried almost all of it in the beginning (well, with the exception of spam). And it was a complete waste of time and money. The only people making a penny or two, are the ones who sold it to people like myself (who didn't know any better). It's best to not even read what they have to say...

I also started with Adsense, before getting heavily into affiliate marketing. I'm making more now in other ways, but my content sites (which use mainly adsense or YPN) are still pulling in money, with no work involved. There are plenty of people making good money with Adsense.

Quote Originally Posted by theyellowmonkey
    I'm new to this business but I really want to give it a try because I want to be my own boss. I have a website but I do not receive hits as I thought I would. I do have a few questions.

Hits for your website
    I've seen a lot of companies offering you the opportunity to buy hits. For example, 'You can buy 100,000 hits for only $49.95!' This is hard to believe. How would they do this?

Pop Up Marketing
    This seems to me like a waste of time because I hate pop ups. Why would I pay a company to make my website visible with Pop ups? I think this would make my website's reputation go down the drain. Thoughts?
    It looks like you've already figured out that these are sometimes the same thing -- people who promise you 100,000 hits for $10 or $50 are either going to [1] use some tool (possibly adware, unwanted by the consumer) to pop open your web site in a window (or an invisible IFRAME) when the user doesn't want it; or [2] pop open your web site from a network of hijacked "zombie" computers, many of them in foreign countries. (After one of my clients ran one of these "100,000 hits" campaigns, I did a log analysis and confirmed that 99% of the traffic was from non-US IP addresses. The vendor agreed to do a "make up" campaign with all US traffic, and dutifully delivered the "hits" but not a single sale transaction resulted. Fortunately, there were no consumer complaints, either.)

Email Marketing
    Whenever I receive emails like this I consider it junk email. I would consider anyone sending me emails like this as spam. Thoughts?
    Agreed. Depending on the niche, you might be able to build an opt-in list (newsletter, specials), but mailing to other people's lists is rarely a good idea, and most often is considered spamming. There are a few (very few) email marketing companies that do rigorously do "verified opt-in," but unfortunately the results of marketing to those lists are still quite poor (I've had clients spend $1,000 or more to generate one or two tiny sales).

AdSense
    Does anyone really make money with this?
    Yes, but no.

Contrary to one claim in this discussion thread, AdSense does not pay based on CPM (site traffic), but on a "cost per click" basis (they report results computed as both CPC and as "effective CPM" or eCPM). AdSense is still highly dependent on traffic, but "CPM vs CPC" is a significant difference, because if your site delivers customers that advertisers want, and if those people click on the ads, you can generate a decent amount of income from your site traffic. One of my web sites, which draws secondary English teachers, gets an "effective" CPM of about $3 (that is, for every 1,000 pageviews at my site, I earn $3). There are sites and categories where the eCPM rate is higher ($10 to $20).
    If your site draws consumers that advertisers don't want, or if your visitors ignore the ads (rarely clicking on them), then AdSense probably won't be effective, but then again, neither will any other strategy.

Link Exchanges
    I heard SE's like only quality links. Does this qualify as links or just a waste of time?
    I think you're on the money here, too. Google does reportedly "penalize" sites that appear to artificially inflate their inbound links, with links from "link exchange," "free for all," and "classifieds" sites, and some online forums. And getting inbound links from other sites that claim "high pagerank" is unlikely to be effective, as those other sites will quickly lose pagerank. I think having inbound links from "off-topic" web sites creates no value for consumers, and over time the search engines will figure that out.

[Does any of this really work or are they all not worth the effort? Any advice is appreciated.
    It all depends, doesn't it? It depends on the content and quality of your site, the quality and spending inclination of your visitors, and many other factors.

Of course of course. I always mix those up!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

It was me that made the CPM claim about Adsense. I haven't used adsense for a few years now, so I apologize for the false information. Regardless of whether you're being paid for clicks or impressions though - if you have no traffic, you won't get paid.

I agree with Donuts - have your site reviewed by some ABW members. They'll gladly give you some great outsider opinions on what you could be doing better.

AdSense is both CPC and CPM.

Most people talk frequently about AdWords (where the people pay to run the ads) as being cost per click (CPC) because that's the most frequently chosen option. But as an advertiser, I can also do site-targeted campaigns on a CPM basis where I pay based on imps (and the adsense webmaster gets paid that way as well).

Explore it further here:
    https://www.google.com/support/adsen...194&topic=8446

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    AdSense is both CPC and CPM.

Most people talk frequently about AdWords (where the people pay to run the ads) as being cost per click (CPC) because that's the most frequently chosen option. But as an advertiser, I can also do site-targeted campaigns on a CPM basis where I pay based on imps (and the adsense webmaster gets paid that way as well).

Explore it further here:
    https://www.google.com/support/adsen...194&topic=8446
    Learned something new, thanks Donuts!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

And here we were sitting on the information the whole time - we just needed donuts to put two and two together for us. lol

Thanks!

AdSense is both CPC and CPM. // Most people talk frequently about AdWords (where the people pay to run the ads) as being cost per click (CPC) because that's the most frequently chosen option. But as an advertiser, I can also do site-targeted campaigns on a CPM basis where I pay based on imps (and the adsense webmaster gets paid that way as well).
    And to make matters worse, I've even been working on a "site-based" (CPM) Adwords campaign targetting several hundred specific web sites -- I really can't imagine what I was thinking when I said that Google is CPC-only. (Site-targeted campaigns represent only a very tiny fraction of total ads delivered across my sites, but they are certainly there.)

Mark, I'm a ppc mutant, don't go thinking that 99.9% of people were ready and willing to agree with your assertion.

Now, tip of the day. CPM sucks. That wasn't the tip. Site-targeted is CPM, and obviously, you want CPC (per click) cuz you only pay for leads, not disinterested lookers. But... G not only lets you target sites, but individual sections and even single pages.
    https://adwords.google.com/support/b...716&topic=7072
    Do it - it adds terrrific specificty to your efforts... the tip.

And, G lets you run CPC and CPM side by side...
    https://adwords.google.com/support/b...651&topic=7072
    https://adwords.google.com/support/b...280&topic=7072
    (read the second one, the first one's fluff that says "you can run at the same time")
    If you find a target site and CPM isn't working, try to create an adgroup whose theme is tightly centered on the keywords of the site you want to target. Review how G does it's algo work to place adsense ads and you'll get the picture. Use negs to carve out the stuff you don't want.

And hey, if that gets too hard and the site is too delicious a source of traffic, broker a deal with them directly.

ABW Ambassador
    Adsense gives the option of opting out of running CPM ads on your sites, which I did because there was too much junk running. It isn't a selection option, you have to specifically email support and request it.

It really doesn't take a ton of traffic, a few moderate sites can earn a few hundred a month if they're targeted and the ads are properly placed. And watching the per click values with channels early in the day can work to show which niches are more or less profitable and valuable.

Now, tip of the day. CPM sucks.
    CPM sucks for advertisers. Not really for publishers with high site traffic. It's a guaranteed pay check basically.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread