Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Platte Canyon School Shooting
    As most have heard by now, a young lady was shot and killed yesterday by a gunman who entered Platte Canyon High School (in Bailey CO) and kept several of the kids hostage before shooting the victim and then killing himself.

He was an older man, who wore a hooded sweatshirt (tucked his grey hair inside the hood) and a school back pack in order to blend in with the kids.

The 16 year old girl he killed was a very sweet kid who waited on us at the CutThroat (species of trout) cafe in Bailey CO which is about 7 miles west of us. It's a cute little restaurant where you can still get a great breakfast for $2.99 or dinner for four for under $25.00. She worked there the past two years and was really a great kid that we all enjoyed.

As there have only been 2 homicides there in the past 56 years the area is understandably in a state of shock.

We still don't know where the shooter came from, or any other real details yet, but our prayers and thoughts are with the family of this special young lady and the families of all the students who were held hostage. Those of us who are parents can relate deeply to the grief and horror experienced by the kids, and their families.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OMG - this makes my heart drop and crash. So sad and so pointless. Bless her and her family who have it way tough right now. :-(

High school kids are so cool, so full of life and hope. Anyone who preys on them is as bad as a creep who preys on little kids. Where do these bastards come from?!!!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

The little community of Bailey is stunned and hollow over this, as all of us in the area are. The shooter has been identified, though at this point it is of little value. He was 53 years old.

According to the information released this morning, the Sheriff made the decision to have SWAT rush the classroom because this demented beast was sexually assaulting the 6 girls he was holding hostage. He had also told negotiators that "something" would happen at 4 pm that would end it. A young man who was in the room, who some of you may have seen on the news this morning was told by the shooter to leave.

This little 16 year old guy replied: "I want to stay here with the girls." He then put a gun in the childs face and told him: "you are out of here now."
    What a great young man....

I've been out mobilizing local businesses this morning to place donation jars at their stores and places of business and everyone has absolutely jumped on the chance to help out. Many of them are people who had Emily as their waitress at the cafe over the past two years - and they were all so positive about helping.

At our drive thru espresso chalets we are donating a portion of every purchase to Emilys family and welcoming customers to sign a support / condolence card that will accompany the check and letter we will send to the family.

We are also having our drive thru customers sign a letter of appreciation to Sheriff Wegener and his department for their efforts to rescue the hostages and subdue the shooter.

The sad part is what happened - the nice part is to see the tremendous support and genuine compassion that all of our mountain neighbors have for the students and their families, the police department, and the effect this has had on the little town of Bailey. It is a moving thing to see.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    OMG OMG OMG - this story is breaking my heart.

How frustrating for the police to have to make the decision to storm the room but I think they did what they had to do. Probably would have been way worse had they not.

It is wonderful to see a community come together with compassion but what a price ... and that boy who wanted to stay with the girls when he was told to leave is indeed a great kid. Gotta love his courage.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >This little 16 year old guy replied: "I want to stay here with the girls."

WOW. Now that's a young boy who's been brought up right!

I read the story and my mind went off into fantasy land. I tried to imagine how I would deal with it and realized I don't think I could if my daughter met that kind of fate. I feel so horrible for the families involved. I hope they can find some kind of comfort/strength to go forward.

That freak got off too easy with his death.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I can't say enough about how much I admire that young boy. I have been out again visiting local businesses and had lunch a little bit ago at the CutThroat cafe, where Emily worked as a waitress. Great girl / person.

The place was understandably somber, with several high school girls and their moms or dads sitting at tables talking about Emily. The young girls kept sobbing and getting up to go outside. I couldn't help but put my hand on one mothers shoulder and say "It'll get better mom."

Now - to the good side.....

I spoke with the owner of the cafe to let him know what we are doing with our coffee biz's to raise funds for the family and to help fund counseling for the kids who need it. He is taking donations, and you would not believe (you would be touched) to see how many stores and other walk in businesses already have donation jars in.

I then dropped in to speak with the managers at the two supermarkets who serve a 20 mile radius up here (not a whole lot of polulation) about putting up donation jars - and to my delight, they already have jars at every check out counter!!

The effort in this little mountain town to reach out and say that they care is one of the most touching things I have had the privilege to witness. It's awesome to see the kind side of humanity.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    The 16 year old girl he killed was a very sweet kid who waited on us at the CutThroat (species of trout) cafe in Bailey CO which is about 7 miles west of us. It's a cute little restaurant where you can still get a great breakfast for $2.99 or dinner for four for under $25.00. She worked there the past two years and was really a great kid that we all enjoyed.
    That is sad to hear. I know that they were releasing hostages at one time and the next time i heard, somebody was shot and killed when the 5-0 stormed the building.

Sad to hear about the kid (or any victim) especially one that you know and is nice.

Very True - and the swat team did a fantastic job also. Everyone here is praising them for what had to be an unfathomable decision to have to make. Now we are jumping in to support and help those kids and Emily's twin brother and folks.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

sad day in the mountain area of Bailey.
    It is a sad day in the areas surrounding Bailey. As you have seen on the news and from Alan's post, Bailey is a very small mountain community approximately one hour from Columbine. The toll an event like this has on a small community is huge.

On the brighter side, it is wonderful to see Bailey and the surrounding communities come together to help the family and friends of the Keyes family. Unlike Alan, my Father, I never had the pleasure of meeting young Emily. It sounds like she was a tremendous young lady with a bright future.

As for Sheriff Weggener and his team, they made a very difficult decision to send the SWAT team in. The decision was based upon knowledge they had about what was happening to these innocent high school girls. I could never imagine having to make such a difficult decision involving innocent victims lives. However, the Sheriff made the right decision to send SWAT in based on the circumstances.

As a reminder to all, be sure to let your family and friends know you love them.

Take Care,

Zach Hamilton

Don't know what to say. What a horrendous terrible tragedy.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Not knowing what to say is the norm S so I relate

My visit to the cafe today was selfish in part as I needed to get some closure - to sit there at our usual table and think about her, and her parents and how they feel right now. How the parents of the hostages felt when they feared they might lose their child, and the jubilation when they learned that their sons or daughters were safe - except for one.

To see the emotion and the genuine caring being shared among the locals helped with my process. It also inspired me to drop my business involvement today and talk to others about all of us helping this family and the kids. That is the important thing.

Thanks for your thoughtful words.

I'm very sorry for the people in your little town, especially the girl's family I saw a little coverage of it on the news the other night, she definitely looked like a sweet girl. Agree on the sentiments expressed about the young boy, too. It was sooooo senseless what that guy did and does break your heart thinking about that poor family and the devastation they feel.

I get to the point where I don't even want to watch the news at times. The other day in Philly a 5 year old little girl was killed while sitting in a car. They think the person may have been after somebody else in the car and two sisters ( 17 and a 19 ) went out in their van to get some milk and a state cop's car went through a stop sign and hit it killing both of them. (they don't know yet if the siren, etc. was on or not) The 2 were the couple's only children.

Just gets a bit depressing at times when you actually sit down and think about how violent or( cruel how it can be with accidents )the world can be at times and sad thing is the people who are doing these things (not including the state trooper in them) don't even think about what it is they're doing.

Getting off of that depressing subject. I do agree with you that it's nice to see the way your town is reactiing to this tragedy and hope they never have to go through this sort of thing again.

Yes, it is the "up" that counterbalances the down and the little town of Bailey is really pulling together on this!

Yep, if you dwell on the negative side, it is surely a depressing topic. But when you actually get to witness and be a part of the effort to shure up this family however we can - it is a huge source of special happiness. There is always a bright side to be found in any situation or challenge.

I was just blown away this morning when I visited our Mountain Bean coffee shop in Conifer - which is just east of Bailey. My Barista there had just put out a big donation jar and the condolence card for customers to sign, and the jar was aleady filled. Customers are donating $5 to $50 at a whack! Everybody is signing the prayer and support message for Emily's Mom, Pop and twin brother and the sentiments they express are such sincere feelings of compassion. It's awesome.

If any of you would like to send an email to express your support to the Keyes family, I welcome and encourage you to send it to me at my email address below. I will keep them all and with the donation we will be sending the Keyes on October 21st, I will include a printed copy of the email you send.

I invite (and urge) all ABW members to participate and believe me, the family will be touched and strengthened by your act of thoughtfulness.
    Please be sure to have all emails to me before October 18, 2006 so I have time to print them and include them in the special Care package we are preparing for this wonderful family.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I feel so bad for that girls family and for all the kids involved.

I thought the Griggs boy must have been a really great kid after hearing how he tried to stand up for the girls, but now that the truth has come out that he was lying and wasn't even there I am just disgusted with him.

I don't know whether to think he is an opportunist or an idiot.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I don't think he is either M. He is just a kid who in the horror of trauma and madness made a mistake that he regrets terribly.

To his credit, unlike any of our adult "world" leaders or corporate raiders the past century - he came out less than 24 hours later and on his own told us he had lied. Perhaps politicians, corporate leaders, and while we are at it EVERYBODY should be so honest.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Yeah, I do give him credit for at least coming clean.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Yep - I pity the young man for what he went through, and how the moment affected him - hence his ill thought reaction. But I admire that all on his own, at his own demise he corrected the mistake immediately. It took a he - - of a lot of courage to face a national TV audience and set the record straigt.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread