Shopping.com Redesign
    I have to admit the new layout for Shopping.com looks great. It's a vast improvement over their previous look. I think the only problem is most of the good content is below the fold.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    https://partners.shopping.com/app

Might try that on my forum

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    it is below the fold and i think it will not get that much traffic, thus, i prefer the previous layout cos everythign is just a click away w/o scrolling

TrustNO1
    if you sell electronics, and would like to be an affiliate, pricegrabber.com is a much more popular tool.
    Last edited by Trust; September 29th, 2006 at 01:42 AM. Reason: oops, hit edit instead of quote

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    https://partners.shopping.com/app

Might try that on my forum
    Been seeing quite a few sites using this API. You don't get much control over the data, but it seems like a quick price comparison solution. I've got mixed feelings about Shopping.com affiliates. For those of us who painstakingly built our own engine these affiliates are competing for the same keyword phrases with minimal effort. The sheer amount of data they provide is extremely difficult to compete with.

One thing I like about it is it creats lazy webmasters who rely on Shopping.com for price comparison. Fewer custom price comparison engines get built, so those of us who are unique are truly unique. Our options aren't saturated.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    What can custom price comparison sites do that the major ones can't?

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    it is below the fold and i think it will not get that much traffic, thus, i prefer the previous layout cos everythign is just a click away w/o scrolling

TrustNO1
    if you sell electronics, and would like to be an affiliate, pricegrabber.com is a much more popular tool.
    Not electronics but another cateogory, going to try one of the widgets:
    https://partners.shopping.com/ShopWidgetsProgram.html

and see how I get per click.
    Last edited by Trust; September 29th, 2006 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    What can custom price comparison sites do that the major ones can't?
    Offer different merchants, unique features and earn 100% of every click.

- Scott

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Unfortunately for may of us we have no clue how to build a custom comparison engine. So this is a good option. Yahoo opened up their API as well but not paying anything yet.

I was reading a blog and the blogger said he was making more with shopping.com pay per click that adsense. It varies by category(the amount per click). I think the minimum is like .08 per click. I bet the new shopads will get alot more affiliates on board. I joined their program 8 or 9 months ago and it has gone through alot of changes and I think they are going to start being more affiliate friendly.

But they are poor with communication. I have requested the API like 4 times and no response. I think that they a little picky in who they choose to use it.

we were paying $0.60 min for a sports category
    -shopping.com

Min of $1 for electronics
    pricegrabber.com

good margin for them

ABW Ambassador
    Just got approved, will try it out and let you know what results I get. Just trying it on my forum for now.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This looks interesting. Especially since they pay per click. Comparison sites probably generate lots of clicks.

I wonder if they intend to go the way of Overture, and majorly de-emphasize their own site in favor of using partner sites to get their listings out...

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I've got mixed feelings about Shopping.com affiliates. For those of us who painstakingly built our own engine these affiliates are competing for the same keyword phrases with minimal effort.
    I hope you're a better sport about it than those who suddenly got tons of competition due to WebMerge!

I think some people probably burned me in effigy for endorsing WM when it first became known, and admitting I used it

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah that's why I like it, the pay per click, especially for my forum. I've tried Adsense and Chitika so far and they both are working about the same for me. This is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    Unfortunately for may of us we have no clue how to build a custom comparison engine. So this is a good option. Yahoo opened up their API as well but not paying anything yet.

I was reading a blog and the blogger said he was making more with shopping.com pay per click that adsense. It varies by category(the amount per click). I think the minimum is like .08 per click. I bet the new shopads will get alot more affiliates on board. I joined their program 8 or 9 months ago and it has gone through alot of changes and I think they are going to start being more affiliate friendly.

But they are poor with communication. I have requested the API like 4 times and no response. I think that they a little picky in who they choose to use it.
    Are you Allowed To have Shopping.com pay per click on your site with adsense.. I know adsense is a bit funny about having 2 contexual adverters on the site.. example is chitika and adsense you can have them on the site but you cant have chitika determing what products to show by it checking out your sit epage. .you have to tell it what to show. i.e guitars, electronics.. etc..

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    we were paying $0.60 min for a sports category
    -shopping.com

Min of $1 for electronics
    pricegrabber.com

good margin for them
    where on pricegrabbers site is their affiliate program or their alternative to adsense program? i dont see it

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    This looks interesting. Especially since they pay per click. Comparison sites probably generate lots of clicks.

I wonder if they intend to go the way of Overture, and majorly de-emphasize their own site in favor of using partner sites to get their listings out...

I hope you're a better sport about it than those who suddenly got tons of competition due to WebMerge!

I think some people probably burned me in effigy for endorsing WM when it first became known, and admitting I used it
    Do you still use it leader?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    Are you Allowed To have Shopping.com pay per click on your site with adsense.. I know adsense is a bit funny about having 2 contexual adverters on the site.. example is chitika and adsense you can have them on the site but you cant have chitika determing what products to show by it checking out your sit epage. .you have to tell it what to show. i.e guitars, electronics.. etc..
    Yeah, you can have shopping.com on the same page as Adsense, same as Chitika.

"chitika determing what products to show by it checking out your sit epage"

They did that at the start, not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    where on pricegrabbers site is their affiliate program or their alternative to adsense program? i dont see it
    I do not know precisely where can you join
    but.. proof is
    http://fatwallet.pricegrabber.com/

I know of a dozen companies that pulls from pricegrabber but can't tell you off my head

ABW Ambassador
    Cobrand:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/about.ph...ate/sub_opt=10

Somebody posted awhile back asking about it but never hearing anything back.

So far with the shopping.com, don't like it. Showing the same exact stuff. Need to look it over better this weekend. I think stats take awhile to update. Need to check on that too.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    You could set up some sort of rotating script and change the keywords for each instance

All very good feedback on here. I especially appreciate it because I just stepped into trying my hand at a price/shopping comparison...but I decided to go a slightly different route, but targeting a specific market. I opted not to go PPC and purely base it on the advertiser's current affiliate program. Thoughts?

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread