ABW Ambassador
    Mark Cuban: Only a 'moron' would buy YouTube
    "Billionaire investor and dot-com veteran Mark Cuban had harsh words Thursday for YouTube, the online site that lets people share video clips, saying only a "moron" would purchase the wildly popular start-up."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6...feed&subj=zdnn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Cuban - "you got some splainin to do"
    OK, so Cuban, an obvious success, has basically identified the demographic that buys You Tube. Now all we have to do is identify the networks and SE's that cater to that demographic??
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    he's got a good point cos i am sure somebody will sue and it's all down hill for youtube.
    But at the moment, youtube is at the top of the mountain.

Pretty straight forward remarks by Cuban though

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    he's got a good point cos i am sure somebody will sue and it's all down hill for youtube.
    But at the moment, youtube is at the top of the mountain.

Lawsuits don't necessarily topple top companies - ie G, Y, MSN, INTC, but I agree that right now YouTube is in the "living the dream" stage and of course the road will get bumpier ahead - but that is built into and expected in businesses that reach out to vast audiences.

Pretty straight forward remarks by Cuban though
    One thing Cuban is - is candid. Sometimes to a fault - but he's obviously successful.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I agree that the model is very risky, but it surely has some value.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

"User-generated content is not going away," he said. "But do you want your advertising dollars spent on a video of Aunt Jenny watching her niece tap dance?"

[B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Guy owns the other end of the spectrum - high end, distibution for videophiles, and he is telling advertisers to stay away from a threat to his business? I think he is getting the sinking feeling that maybe the kids don't care about highdef, they care about short consumable content regardless of the video quality?

Cuban is smart, but this sounds like an old man railing against the future.

Chet

I think the truth is somewhere between cuban and chet ;-), but I give cuban lots of credit for blogmav as it is like a free think tank for the subjects of his picking.....look how far the spillover carries ;-)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chetf
    Guy owns the other end of the spectrum - high end, distibution for videophiles, and he is telling advertisers to stay away from a threat to his business? I think he is getting the sinking feeling that maybe the kids don't care about highdef, they care about short consumable content regardless of the video quality?
    I would think that videophiles are a totally different market than YouTube's audience. Yet, his plug for his own service does make a person wonder...

He makes some valid points about advertising on it, though. Although I'd think the problems with advertising there would be much more fundamental: People being too busy watching the show to even notice the ad! I'd expect it would need a zillion imps to get noticed, kind of like forums or any other place where the content is way more interesting than the ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "Billionaire investor and dot-com veteran Mark Cuban had harsh words Thursday for YouTube, the online site that lets people share video clips, saying only a "moron" would purchase the wildly popular start-up."
    That sounds like something I'd say, but the reasons he gives are different. I think it's another thing that will seem hopelessly lame in 5-10 years. Also it looks like it'd be very costly to run, in terms of infrastructure and bandwidth. Ad-supported sites are subject to the occasional advertising-space glut, which can kill their revenue even if they maintain their traffic. With high operating costs, such downtimes can take their toll very quickly.

However, I don't expect them to be sued into oblivion, especially since they've started making agreements with the big music companies rather than working against them. I think they'll try to make similar arrangements with movie places and the like.

I suppose if a (or several) copyright holders refuse to deal with them, they would end up in trouble, and it could be big enough trouble that they're materially effected.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

While we're on the subject -

http://www.itpro.co.uk/internet/news...d-myspace.html

It's not impossible that they could be sued, or is it? Can the myspace or youtube network really be responsible for what users post on their open (video) forums containing copywritten material if each user has electronically agreed to their terms and conditions which clearly look down upon posting material that is not their own?

An answer to this would be awesome if there are any lawyers around...
    [FONT=Verdana]Chris Gates[/FONT]

Not sure how many of you actually get Cuban's HDnet in your area, but granted the video quality is great, but the content is lacking. It's as if he sets a line-up based on what he'd like to be watching sitting around his giant house in his boxers scratching himself. I occassionally tune in to watch sports games, but other then that, the material he airs doesn't hold my interest. The programming is kind of all over the place.

If YouTube can negotiate big time deals with these major music/movie/television companies, I can imagine it will generate a lot of interest away from his HDnet, which in my area you need to subscribe to the HD package (pay extra) to view.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I was under the impression that YouTube was hemmoraging cash in a big way.

Cuban may be a total nut...but I think he is right on this one.

Go Spurs
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
    It's as if he sets a line-up based on what he'd like to be watching sitting around his giant house in his boxers scratching himself. I occassionally tune in to watch sports games, but other then that, the material he airs doesn't hold my interest. The programming is kind of all over the place.
    I couldn't agree more.
    [FONT=Verdana]Chris Gates[/FONT]

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
    "User-generated content is not going away," he said. "But do you want your advertising dollars spent on a video of Aunt Jenny watching her niece tap dance?"

LOL -

The answer to that is, yes - but in a web 3.0 of 4.0 era. what if I am selling the cute shoes that aunt jenny's neice is wearing, and youtube, (or google or whoever) automatically detects that I sell those or something very similar, and automatically displays an ad that links directly to the product on my store. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it!

Contextual video advertising?

----
    PS: (this can already be done using tags and stuff on this internet. Would be cool of there'd be some way for such a technology to appear on TV.)
    ----
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread