Could Starbucks equal a New Car?
    I just tallied up my normal Starbucks budget (there's one next door to where I work) and HOLY COW! ... I was a little shocked.

I usually get Triple Grande Lattes which are $3.75 a-piece. I typically drink two on the weekdays and one on the weekends. That comes to $45/week or $195/month or $2340/year. But that's not all now that I'm thinking about it because I sometimes get a Muffin or a Scone in the mornings, yeesh!

So I started thinking to myself ... if I gave up Starbucks and started drinking normal coffee (not from Starbucks) what could I do with that extra $200/month? I could get another car, a dedicated fiber connection to my house, or hire a maid service. Oh the list goes on.

So am I alone or some of you also slaves to the evil (and impressively successful) Starbucks empire? Are you on an "I could eat Steak instead of Hamburgers" budget or an "I could finally get that Yacht I've been wanting" budget?

-tm

“Premium” coffee-to-go: It’s okay to treat yourself occasionally to take-out coffee; it certainly tastes better than most home or office brew. But twentysomethings buy $3 java drinks like it’s just milk money -- and then complain Social Security won’t be there for them. How’s this for a shocker: The $750 in annual net pay a $3-a-day, work-week coffee habit consumes would yield almost $300,000 in an IRA growing 8% annually over 40 years. Better yet, break your caffeine addiction altogether.

Read the full article: http://money.aol.com/special/pummer-...21152209990001

I just found this article this morning, funny you would mention this.
    Last edited by cgates; September 29th, 2006 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Error
    [FONT=Verdana]Chris Gates[/FONT]

Now I have an idea for a new car, a spare apartment downtown and perhaps even a piece of land out in the country.

Good article cgates.

-tm

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Wow! That's some expensive coffee!

We just got a Starbucks in our county. Fortunately it's far enough away from my house that I'm not likely to develop an addiction to their overpriced drinks.

What's the calorie count on one of those vente-mocha-latte-junque-coffees, anyway?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Good marketing , Overprice coffee.

I went to Asia in Feb and it cost an arm and a leg for starbucks.
    Grande ice mocha cost 12 dollars local currency. A good non-lunch for food and drinks will max out at 7-8 dollars local currency.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Rhea the starbucks vente mocha has around 1,200 calories - all sugar!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Those of us who have coffee shops rely on those 20 somethings, so keep em coming!!! Then when you reach 65 and you go on social security, come on by and get our special Seniors Discount card!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    the starbucks vente mocha has around 1,200 calories - all sugar!!
    OOH, that's got to be good!!

I was never tempted to try Starbucks, and never have, since I don't like coffee. But anything that's had 1200 calories worth of sugar dumped into it just can't be bad. I'm sure the normal, awful coffee bitterness is completely killed by all that

On the other hand, IIRC 1200 calories = almost 1/2 lb. of weight gain, or a whole lot of extra exercising. In one cup~! On second thought, I'll probably skip it. I don't think it could possibly beat Ben & Jerry's, and I think you get 2 servings of B&J for that...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I work at Barnes and Noble and our Cafe serves Starbucks and Cheesecake Factory Products. I get a 50% discount on all cafe items, but I try to avoid it. Except for black coffee and tea, there isn't one product in there for under 800 calories.

But they are all delicious. Every morning at our staff meeting they give us free samples.

Lily

I'm terrible at names of books and authors, but there's a How to be a Millionaire book our there and that guy coined the term The Latte factor to describe how families could cut spending enough to get out of debt, save up for a house and end up reasonably wealthy at retirement. All based on the calculations here.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread