Some Tips for Newbies to WebMerge & SAS Datafeeds.
    This post is just for newbies to WebMerge & SAS datafeeds users, so unless you have a better way to do it , and want to share it for the newbies, don't even bother to mention PHP or any other language.

Ok, here it goes:

Some how by now you have figured out how to use WebMerge.
    Some how by now you have used some of the SAS datafeeds before.

But........

Let's suppose that now you have downloaded more than 10 datafeed from SAS.

What do you do now?

You know that now the SAS datafeeds don't include the "Field Names" on the first line anymore, and that you must replace the "YOURUSERID" with your actual SAS affiliate ID. (if you want to make any money)

So how do you add the "Field Names" to the first line of the feeds, and how do you replace the "YOURUSERID" with your actual SAS affiliate ID on those feeds?

Well.........

While you can use Microsoft Excel, WordPad, etc, to do the paste, search and replace, I have found out a faster way to do it.

Maybe you even know a even faster way to do the paste, search and replace with another program, but so far this is what I have discovered.

---------------------
    If you're going to do just one datafeed at the time, you can do it even on NotePad, but if you're going to add the "Field Names" and your actual SAS affiliate ID on more than 10 feeds, I have found out that I can save a lot of time by just using the Crimson Editor on all of those feeds.

Tip 1
    -----

I download all the new datafeeds to one directory.

Once I am on that directory later, I just click on any of those 12345.zip files one at the time, and save the 12345.txt files to that same directory.

Note: Look, I no longer have to deal with the:

I understand that I may use the WinZip only "for evaluation purposes"
    from the WinZip crap site anymore!

I just use the FREE, ZipCentral zip file manager.

ZipCentral is a free and easy to use zip file manager with all the utilities you need to manage your zip files. The goal of ZipCentral is to be the most robust freeware zip-package you can find today. It is a great tool for the beginner as well as the expert. Working with zip files has never been easier! ....... Source: ZipCentral
    and get all of my .zip files extracted to anywhere I want.

Tip 2
    -----

After I got all my merchants extracted 12345.txt files to that directory, I can just delete all of the 12345.zip files from there, but that's not the point.

Once I got some xxxxx.txt merchants files on that directory, I just right click on any one of those xxxxx.txt merchants file and do a open with Crimson Editor to have those datafeeds ready for editing.

After I have done the paste to the:

ProductID|Name|MerchantID|Merchant|Link|Thumbnail|BigImage|Price|RetailPrice|Category|SubCategory|Description|Custom1|Custom2|Custom3|Custom4|Custom5|LastUpdated|Stock
    and the Replace the "YOURUSERID" to the first datafeed file, the rest is jus a piece of

Tip 3
    ----

Microsoft Excel is good to do the to do the paste, search and replace, but I noticed that I can just right click on all of those xxxxx.txt merchant files and then just do the paste, search and replace in just one pass, faster and safer than with the Microsoft Excel program, so it's up to you if you want to try to do it that way.

Btw: Here is a link again to those two FREE programs:

1 - ZipCentral

2 - Crimson Editor

Note for some of the wise guys: While this post may sound like BS to some of us by now, I wish somebody had made a post like this three years ago when I didn't knew how the hell to work with datafeeds.

Sal.

Sal, I admire all the posts you make in order to help those who are not as advanced in using Datafeeds
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Sal for the tips. WebMerge is on my learn-to-do-list so I'll be sure to check out the programs you suggested.

Note for some of the wise guys: While this post may sound like BS to some of us by now, I wish somebody had made a post like this three years ago when I didn't knew how the hell to work with datafeeds.
    Absolutely right ! Thank you. I feel so guilty every time I unzip without paying first - it reminds me of the old days when public restrooms sometimes cost a dime. That didn't last long, but WinZip seems to remember forever!

Uhhh... How many of these zips do NOT work with the built in Windows unzipper? I've been extracting zip files just fine in windows without winzip. Right click on the file, select extract.

What did I miss?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

@ sal its really nice what you did help others who are facing situations that you have faced years ago

@patrick windows just incorporated the right click extract with the launch of windows xp. before that people use winzip, winrar and winace.

Now there are freewares for doing what windows could not do like the ones spoke about earlier in the thread
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Thank you...the tips are always great to get. You can never learn too much!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Awesome, Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Awesome, Sal.
    He deserves a nice tall cold glass of Vanilla Soy Milk
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread