Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazon Datafeed ????
    Hi,

Does anyone know if Amazon offer a datafeed. Obviously they have loads and loads of products on their website, jut looking to get a datafeed for Electronic products.

Thanks

Adrian

http and a telephoto
    They don't have a flatfile datafeed, they have xml web services.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Loxly,

Would ASTORE be classified as an XML web service. Presume there is no way so of getting a list of lets say digital cameras and incorporate them into a feed?

Thanks

Adrian

http and a telephoto
    I haven't looked at ASTORE and how to use it. sorry!
    Deborah Carney

and electronic products may carry the lowest commission rate. this changed within the last year, if I remember right.

if you're familiar with GoldenCAN you can find amazon.com products in there (like having a datafeed, kinda) but the 4th click isn't yours.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    They don't have a flatfile datafeed, they have xml web services.
    Do you mind me asking, what do you mean by XML web serives. A little bit clueless when it comes to anything XML. Can you give me an example?

Thanks

Adrian

http and a telephoto
    You need to log into Amazon and find out about the developer services, or use Cusimano scripts or Mrrat or GoldenCan. I know about the services but don't actively promote Amazon, so I am not able to give detailed information.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You need to log into Amazon and find out about the developer services, or use Cusimano scripts or Mrrat or GoldenCan. I know about the services but don't actively promote Amazon, so I am not able to give detailed information.
    Hi Loxly,

Will look into that.

Cheers

Adrian

I think the best way to go with Amazon is to cache their data constantly. Since their API limits the number of products you can request at a time, you'll need to send continuous requests to refresh your data. It's not easy or trivial, so that's why I've been putting off doing it. I wish they also offered a flat datafeed file, but this added cost of entry does help eliminate some competition.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib,

Do you think the continous querying is feasible ? I think they'd eventually ping you for doing this and block the requesting IP. What I ahd thought about doing is a query and then caching that result set locally for awhile.

What are there API limits?

P
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Snib,

Do you think the continous querying is feasible ? I think they'd eventually ping you for doing this and block the requesting IP. What I ahd thought about doing is a query and then caching that result set locally for awhile.

What are there API limits?

P
    They do have a limit, I believe it was one query every 5 seconds last I heard, but that may have changed. The problem before was they would only send you 10 products at a time, so that's why you can't just grab everything on a single query and cache it. You have to grab 10 products at a time every 5 seconds until you've cached everything you need. Then you need to do the same thing all over again the next day to keep up with prices. I'm not sure if the 10 product limit is still in place because it's been a while since I looked at this, but I don't imagine they will let you grab too many more now.

- Scott

Wow. That is a lot of work then to grab an entire category.

I wonder if you do enough volume with them if you can get it all at once via a CSV/Flatfile. Web services are definitely geared more towards onsy-twosy types of queries.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Wow. That is a lot of work then to grab an entire category.

I wonder if you do enough volume with them if you can get it all at once via a CSV/Flatfile. Web services are definitely geared more towards onsy-twosy types of queries.
    I wish they offered traditional flat files. It would certainly make it easier to cache their data, but I've never heard of them offering this.

- Scott

Amazon web services are great! I use several of them including historical pricing to generat my own charts, S3 for storage and the E2 to host some content.

Interesting thread here - it's a shame they don't offer a category flatfile datafeed (like Overstock do - wonderful).

Snib, sounds like a good idea caching the products via the API, but a fairly server intensive one. I don't have the cash at the moment to have it integrated into my datafeed yet - shame as it would've been a nice Christmas money spinner

Animal Lover
    Have to cache the xml data - works quite well and I can't complain much - auto-updates so it's nice. Not all their nodes have data in it though so you'll need to check. And yes it's just 10 products at a time per query.

Amazon converts well this time of the year.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Oscar, is there a freely available script to cache amazon products (in a MYSQL database)?

Cheers.

PS: It's interesting to note that Amazon require product updates max. every 24 hours, and price updates at max. 1 hour! Sounds server intensive, dontcha think?

Animal Lover
    I think loxly has already mentioned a few - GoldenCan has one (but I think it's a 4th click one ie Asif gets the commission on the 4th click) and there's also another one by MrRat...there could be new ones out I don't know...usually in amongst all their xml info that Amazon provides on their site, there's usually some links there to developers who have made scripts available for free.

cheers
    Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Amazon Datafeed Available via FTP
    Amazon will provide upon request datafeeds by catagory via ftp. We've noticed that model or manufacturer fields are often omitted.

luk,

Can you please give us some more information? How did you find this out? Who do we contact? Is there a page about this?

Thanks for piping in

P
    ---
    ---

1st thing is to apply to become an amazon associate, then request ftp userid and password for datafeeds. someone at amazon will have you sign and fax an agreement and then will provide the information you need.

i didnt know that there's a data feed offered by amazon associates program, ill try to request for it.

Heads up for the information.

I am not aware of any datafeed option from Amazon -- again, they always refer to the web services, which are limited.

I have links to several thousand Amazon titles, many of which are only "sometimes" available, and I wish there was an easy way to run my list through a filter periodically (or in real-time) so I could accurately show which products are actually available.

However, Amazon has quite deliberately sought to keep the web-services program accessible only to programmers, and imposes unreasonable limits on queries to their servers, thus preventing either real-time or "batch" processing.

I just got a feedback form today complaining that so many of my Amazon links are to products that are "not available" from Amazon -- mostly the availability is through third parties. Other products shift frequently between "ships immediately" and "ships in 4 to 6 weeks."

Associate Engine, which advertises in this thread, works very nicely and flexibly. You can use it to run the calls on the fly, and you can set it to mostly eliminate products that aren't available.

I've been getting the Amazon flatfiles for a while. I haven't looked at them since I have it automated, but they have like 10 files, with some of them like 3 or 4 gb. It was a bear to set up, and the prices are almost all incorrect and, they don't have great info in the files, and it's hard to differentiate the marketplace options from the amazon items.
    The webservices connection way of getting data is much more accurate, but it'd take weeks to suck in every product from there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast