Video w/superimposed text - What do I need?
    I need to be able to make webcam videos with sound and text superimposed. Something like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FOw6ZoYf5WI

Picture and sound quality would not be very important, but being able to superimpose text across the bottom of the picture would be critical.

What equipment/software would I need? I have never used a webcam so I am totally ignorant on the subject.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Joe Floe says it's software that usually comes with the webcam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1tP...elated&search=

ABW Ambassador
    That video looks to be flash video. The Flash codec is nice and getting to be very popluar. It supports alfa channels that allow you to insert text.

To get Flash video encoder, you would have to buy Flash 8. (It is bundled with it)

Discreet Cleaner XL also encodes into Flash video.

CanadianDave

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    You can use windows movie maker (free) to put text on video. Makes WMV files which play in mediaplayer. If you plan on loading up to youtube, I believe youtube can convert most video formats.

Windows Movie Maker is really to use too I made a dvd of my son's t-ball game with special effects and text in a few hours on my first try and it came out great.

OK I went out and picked up a webcam, but I cannot get sound to record with the video.

The cam has a microphone included, and my PC has a mic input jack. I checked "include sound" with video capture, but it doesn't. Do I need to get a sound card or should I assume that I have what I need (because the PC has the mic input) and I'm doing something wrong?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

click on the little speaker looking icon in your toolbar (lower right) make sure the mic setting is not muted or turned all the way down. Or go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Control

"click on the little speaker looking icon "

There is none.

"Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Control"

Everything is near the top of the scale, and nothing is muted.

ABW Ambassador
    What are you recording it with? I haven't had my webcam hooked up in awhile but I think I recorded it with the software that the cam came with. You can also record with many other programs. And it went thru step by step to make sure the volume was set, the recording worked etc.

"What are you recording it with? I haven't had my webcam hooked up in awhile but I think I recorded it with the software that the cam came with."

Of course I am using the software that came with the cam

I also tried a standard vocal microphone just in case the one with the cam was defective, but still no go.

There is no manual. Well, there is, but it only shows how to install the software and physically plug everything into the PC.

ABW Ambassador
    Try recording with another program and if that doesn't work, something with your computer or setup.

OK I tried it with Pysoft Active Webcam software and the sound works, but there is about a one-second delay so the sound it out of sync with the picture.

Is this typical webcam BS? If it is, I'll just get a camcorder and edit clips from that.

The camcorder route would make the video much better. But then you need a firewire card or a video card with composite or s video in. I have a logitech cam, a few years old that has no problems with sound or sound not being insynch with the video. Did you buy a real cheap cam?

No, in fact I made a point of NOT buying a cheap cam

Finally got it working, but what an adventure it was. Looks like figuring out editing, lighting, angles, etc. is going to be a another longer adventure but at least that will be a trial and error experience, not just error.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread