Internet Cowboy
    Fishing week!
    OK, so this is one of those weeks where I will take full advantage of my flexibility in my work schedule.
    I'm putting the boat in the water today and leaving it for a week or so. Going to do some fishing every day, some in the day, some at night, some in the evening, some in the morning. This way I can drive 1 mile to the dock, get on the boat and go without loading and unloading and all that jazz.
    I will be fishing the shallow waters of Mosquito Lagoon for Redfish and Trout. These are unfamiliar waters to me as I am a freshwater bass fisherman, but living sooo close to the salt water I feel like I have to learn it and fishing it every day for a while should be a step in that direction. I also bought a boat that is good in the shallow water for this reason, so I need to fish it.
    Thank goodness for GPS or I would be lost. All that water looks the same once you get out of the channel of the intercoastal.

If anyone has redfish tips for early Fall...I am all ears

ABW Ambassador
    Catch me some fishsticks

Scoot,

All I can say is: I envy you, man!! [BIG time]

Can't wait to go back to Finland. Some great trout fishing there... Not much of it where I currently live.

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Scoot,

All I can say is: I envy you, man!! [BIG time]

Can't wait to go back to Finland. Some great trout fishing there... Not much of it where I currently live.

Geno
    The boat will be in the water for a week or so, fly in to Daytona and we'll go fishing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Have a great time Unc! Especially knowing you'll be making money while you fish.

You deserve a break and a good relaxing week on the boat. Ahhhhh what bliss.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Have a great time Unc!
    He will... Anyone who has once tried the real fishing can identify with what my feelings...

PS: Going for my Finish visa tomorrow. Hoping to still catch some of that Fall fishing up in the Land of Lakes. (I must admit, my wife hates me going away for those 10-hour fishing trips around those 30 by 15 miles Finnish lakes)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    The boat will be in the water for a week or so, fly in to Daytona and we'll go fishing
    Give me a bit of time, man. I hope to be much closer to you (at least geographically) within the next 8-10 months. Then we can do some great things together & catch the biggest trout there is!!

G.

Hope they're biting, Scooter! It's been a slow year in carolina.

CPA Network Rep
    Former Fly-Fishing Guide gives his 2 cents
    Can't say that ANY of this came from me! But I have the great fortune to be married to a former "Interntional Angler" or Fly Fishing Guide!

Here's what he said about your post...

"Not sure if he fly-fishes but if so it's hard to beat a #2 or #4 chartreuse and white clouser or spoon fly. Use one with a weed guard as the flats are grassy. Bonk tailing fish right on the nose, lead cruising fish a little bit. The more chop on the water- the closer you can cast to them. The more smooth the water- the spookier they become- lead them a little more. Instead of fishing the time of day, fish the tides. The first part of the incoming tide and the last part of the outgoing tide are best for reds in really skinny water. During slack tides you can hit deeper spots for speckled trout. Blind cast around potholes or sandy spots near grass flats with a baitfish imitation or a popper. At night cast dark colored flies around lighted boat docks for speckled trout and snook.

I wish I knew some spots for him to hit in the Mosquito Lagoon. Florida Sportsman has a really good forum that he may be able to dig up some info or even get some GPS coordinates of honey holes...."

Need anything else...you know where to find me! Good luck and have a great time!
    [B]Mande[/B] [COLOR=Indigo][URL=http://www.filinet.com]Filinet.com[/URL][/COLOR] [COLOR=Purple][URL=https://www.filinet.com/Affiliates.aspx?ar=mande]JOIN Today[/URL] [/COLOR]
    AIM: GRSmwhite PHONE: 866.477.5600 x249
    If we promote it, we tested it!

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Will you fedex me a trout on dry ice??

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I do know that redfish eat crabs, shrimp and other small baitfish that like the cover of shells and such. A flat mud bottom won't be rich in redfish at any tide. If you can find a shallow bank that holds oysters or any shellfish, redfish will be nearby as the tide comes in, stays high and goes out. When low tide happens, the shell-bottom banks are often too shallow for redfish to navigate. As you ride around in your boat at low tides, look for exposed shell banks (especially oysters) or banks in less than 1 foot of water at low tide (MARK THESE ON YOUR GPS MAP FOR LATER). Return as the tide rises and the redfish will be there. Same holds true where creeks empty into the Mosquito lagoon. Redfish are at the top of the marsh water food chain, so where creeks empty into the lagoon, redfish know they can find baitfish making their way into and out of the marshes (as the tide goes down and as it begins to rise) - hit those spots. Redfish are fun to catch because, as top dog in the food chain with little that eats them, they are aggressive strikers and can be large.

As a freshwater fisherman, you're well prepared to fish for reds Scooter. Redfishing is just like fishing for bass - spinners, spoons and any top water jigs. Because they are looking for shellfish often (gives them their red color), you can even use crawfish or live shrimp with a small lead weight and bobber as well. I've tossed a live shrimp bobber rig onto oyster flats near high tide and then sat back and waited and caught reds. Most anglers would shoot me for being so lazy, it's a prize sportfish and should be regarded with a better work ethic to fully enjoy (I work hard and play lazy!).

If you're fishing for reds in more than 4 feet of water, it's too deep. Stick to flats, near flats and shell beds covered by the tide.

I'm informed but am a relative amateur and can hardly tie a decent knot and I drink too much beer when I fish. So I'm often the bobber (boring, not as sportsman like) type of red fisherman. The biggest red I ever caught (down in the everglades) was just under 9 pounds. Reds in mosquito lagoon get as large as 25-30 pounds and there are several redfish tournaments there each year. Spring and Fall are the best times - Sept and Oct are known to be very good.

So when I join you this week Scooter, chances are good we'll at least get a nibble!

In colder water, the reds tend to stay off the flats because in Florida the surface water will actually be much colder than the deeper channel bottoms.

There have been trophy reds caught in the lagoon that are in the 35+ pound range. Floridians call them "redfish" as well as "red drum" and also "channel bass". I think "channel bass" is a real understated way of saying it - if I land one, it's a "redfish" for sure. Boat captains say channel bass from familiarity. People lying to the fishing cops say they caught a "channel bass" to downplay it (other channel bass don't have the strict limits that redfish have). I'm not that cool and not going to break the limit laws, so they're always "redfish" to me.

This next part I had to look up, both the record and the exact limit (my charter guy does the measuring for me usually). Florida limits one redfish per person per day and they must be between 18 and 27 inches. Florida records require bringing the fish in to land and weighing it in a certified scale - for this reason (the big ones must be thrown back because they're the major spawners and exceed 27"), the official record redfish weight is held artificially low. The Florida record is 52 pounds. In catch and release tournaments, where accurate scales have been used on the water in a boat, there have been documented (but not official) catches just over 80 pounds. These "boat" records are not permitted in Florida by law to discourage violation of the daily bag and limit laws.

Uncle Scoot, take a camera. Redfish are good fighters and are truly beautiful fish. If you catch a big one, he's going back - that camera might become critical to proper bragging rights.

I talked to an angler from Georgia (USA) recently. He fishes (sea) trout at the coast there.

He said to fish on a dropping barometer, and I think he said quarter moons, because the higher/lower tides are tough to fish.

Enjoy!

Have a great time! I can't remember the last time I went fishing. We used to head to either NC or FL with my dad a couple times a year and always had a great time. Still have my old poles though, both fresh and salt water rigs so there's still hope

Post some pics of your trophies when you get them.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Will you fedex me a trout on dry ice??
    i am thinking of buying some live crawfish from louisiana for thanksgiving...and I think they put it on ice (maybe dry ice) and send it next day air.. it's a b*tch for shipping though...
    Have some buddies in LA that owns a pond or 2.

Internet Cowboy
    Thanks Mande, that is good information.
    Donuts, I can't guarantee fish, but I can guarantee a good time and plenty of refreshments. I printed the saltwater bag limits earlier
    There will be some wind and some chop on the water, so we can sneak up on them.
    CT, I will send you a grilled filet topped with crawfish e'touffee. That is much better than just a trout.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Well before Katrina it was no problem having food shipped out of New Orleans. Knowing how important food is to the culture in New Orleans I'm betting that it's still possible. My brother had Thanksgiving dinner, ALL OF IT, shipped to NYC from New Orleans one year. All I can say is..OH MY GOD!!!

Don't forget the sweet potato pie and the bread pudding.

Happy fishing Scooter! Think of poor old landlocked me while you're out there.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ahhhhh Scooter - sounds great.

Have a ball buddy. If you ever want to take up fly fishing I am there from Jan - April. Maybe we can do a progressive fishing tour!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I do know that redfish eat crabs, shrimp and other small baitfish that like the cover of shells and such. A flat mud bottom won't be rich in redfish at any tide. If you can find a shallow bank that holds oysters or any shellfish, redfish will be nearby as the tide comes in, stays high and goes out. When low tide happens, the shell-bottom banks are often too shallow for redfish to navigate.......
    You're in the wrong profession Donuts. We could've used some of that info the last time we went fishing for Drum!

Only time we've ever done really well with them was late October. We got into a mess of juvenile black drum (by luck)...nothing huge, but lots of 'em. Haven't been able to find them again since.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    You're in the wrong profession Donuts...
    He's not. He obviously does what he loves and what he loves - he takes seriously...

Geno

I've read post on these forums of people making hundreds of thousands of dollars in 20 minutes, and of rising at noon and going to bed at 2PM because they can, but no other post has caused me to burn with envy like this one has.

Have fun Scooter... This week I fish vicariously through you...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Good luck, Scooter. I hope the fish bite and not the mosquitoes. I'm heading up the N. Fork of the Cache la Poudre River this afternoon to fish for trout on our property. The aspen are in full color and the air is getting cool and crisp. The brookies are stocking up on food for the winter right now and make a guaranteed easy meal. Once in a while I manage to land a lunker German Brown, but release them. We roll the brookies in corn meal, fry over the campfire and eat them like corn on the cob. Delicious!
    ~Ernie

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    I've read post on these forums of people making hundreds of thousands of dollars in 20 minutes, and of rising at noon and going to bed at 2PM because they can, but no other post has caused me to burn with envy like this one has.

Have fun Scooter... This week I fish vicariously through you...
    Hehehee! I'm heading out tomorrow with Uncle Scooter... fishing for the day... we'll think of you... :-)

http and a telephoto
    I wanna go.... lol.....

Have a great time!!!!! I'll bet you'll have stories to tell....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Have fun, but more importantly, be safe. Take some pics!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Have fun, but more importantly, be safe. Take some pics!

Better come back with some nice fish stories - especially of the ones that got away..

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread