Red face A case of leap before you look
    Sometimes I wonder how I've made it this far...

I went to eBay the other day, and was interested in buying an iPod Nano. So, did very minimal research, and saw one for sale that had a title like:

"New MP3 PLAYER 1GB BLACK ipod NANO CASE"

Looked through the description, and everything looks fine and dandy! Ordered it via Buy It Now, and just received it today (quick shipping).

And guess what - it's a generic iPod.

I didn't realize until I went back to read it, that the description didn't say iPod anywhere, except in the title.

Very annoyed at myself more than anybody else, but still kind of ticked at the seller.

What do you think? Think the title is misleading at all? Wonder if there's any recourse here?

ABW Ambassador
    Would have to read the description. Just curious of why buy it on ebay and not from a regular merchant?

Cheap, cheap, cheap....which should've rang an alarm..but for some reason it didn't.. lol

Honestly don't even know what to say here except that my brain was malfunctioning.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i heard on NPR that china is pumping these babies out like mushrooms. They are coming in via Mexico, according to the reporter.

Apple has yet to make a fuss about it..

Is the replica excactly the same as the original?

Only thing missing on it are the apple/iPod logos (not exaggerating). Even the box and such are complete replicas.

Going to see what I can do first, to get my money back (speaking with eBay regarding title description first). If that doesn't work, i'll just turn around and sell it for a small loss with a nice title like "1 GB iPos Nano"

I've bought a lot of stuff on e-bay, but avoid electronics items.

Does it work?

If so, who cares about the logo?

I do - especially if I wanted to buy a reliable name brand, but got a cheap ripoff instead. I'm not much into buying things where you have no idea how the quality it is, and how long it'll last till it falls apart.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "New MP3 PLAYER 1GB BLACK ipod NANO CASE"
    Better that you got a generic iPod, than what *that* says you'll get!

It says, "CASE." That'd be this-->iPod Nano Case

Being serious now, it is indeed misleading to say iPod Case and just mean that the outside looks like an iPod.

Anyway, the generic works fine?

How cheap is cheap? I might be interested in buying it. How many songs fit in 1 GB?

I couldn't care less about brands, in fact I'd intentionally aim for "generic" for something like that. Usually the savings is well worth the risk of the thing conking out early, especially since all the cheap electronics I've bought have NOT conked out early...

The only thing I can think of that I won't buy generic of is food. Cheap food tastes cheap (yuck).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    The only thing I can think of that I won't buy generic of is food. Cheap food tastes cheap (yuck).
    yuck - I have a hard time buying those off the wall generic brands too, especially cookies and other sweets..

As far as the iPod, I ended up saving approx. 30-40 dollars over the real thing that's sold on eBay. I tried it and it plays ok.

I'll PM the link to you for the auction I won. If you're still interested, let me know.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    yuck - I have a hard time buying those off the wall generic brands too, especially cookies and other sweets..

As far as the iPod, I ended up saving approx. 30-40 dollars over the real thing that's sold on eBay. I tried it and it plays ok.

I'll PM the link to you for the auction I won. If you're still interested, let me know.
    generic food - some are ok
    generic meds are ok with me.
    pop the pill, heck.. it is bitter anyway and it is going to kill me in the long run, so why not save a buck or 2 along the way. After all, the medical-pharmaceutical dictates the price of prescribed and OTC meds, and I don't feel too charitable towards them.

Ipod replica.. i doubt i will buy it cos of warranty and reliability issue. Let's just say i will not be rushing to buy it.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread