webmerge site pages no page rank
    Seems that webmerge sites dont get indexed very well in google.. or hold page rank

i was looking at (edited out) one mentioned on the main site, and the homepage had rank and the other pages didnt... common it seems with webmerge sites

makes me think that database driven may be the better way to go?
    Last edited by Trust; October 3rd, 2006 at 01:02 AM. Reason: edited out by request

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    NONE of the sites I've looked at recently have PR on their back pages, even if they have SERP rank. I think it's just a glitch with the toolbar.

Take TigerDirect (a rather large merchant site) for instance:

Main page: www.tigerdirect.com = PR 7

Tigerdirect's accessories section main page: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...lc.asp?CatId=1
    PR0.

If G won't admit that a site like that has rank on their back pages, I'd be surprised if they admit any sites do.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    NONE of the sites I've looked at recently have PR on their back pages, even if they have SERP rank. I think it's just a glitch with the toolbar.

Take TigerDirect (a rather large merchant site) for instance:

Main page: www.tigerdirect.com = PR 7

Tigerdirect's accessories section main page: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...lc.asp?CatId=1
    PR0.

If G won't admit that a site like that has rank on their back pages, I'd be surprised if they admit any sites do.

well they have rank on their subcategories just not individual product pages.. strange

Action Jackson - King of the World
    why is my site mentioned above? That is quite clearly against the ABW rules.

http and a telephoto
    Jack if it happens again hit the report button.

Morethanable, do that again and you're outta here.... You've been told over and over again NOT to post other people's site links.

Do NOT Post Affiliate URLs or links - it is a violation of our policies!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Now I see the button. I never noticed that before LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Morethanable
    Seems that webmerge sites dont get indexed very well in google.. or hold page rank * * * makes me think that database driven may be the better way to go?
    Again, it seems clear that you're "on a roll" to bash WebMerge, without actually looking for relevant data.

WebMerge is often used to generate "cookie-cutter" affiliate sites:
    - with an uninterrupted sequence of direct links (or poorly-cloaked links) to merchant sites (most often, to a single merchant site),
    - with product names and descriptions drawn directly from the merchant datafeed (and thus identical to the text at many other sites),
    - with images loaded directly from the merchant's server,
    - with no original content and no valid backlinks.

These "cookie-cutter" sites will inevitably be treated badly by search engines -- no matter what tool is used to generate them. As I've noted in another thread, there is no difference between a "database-driven dynamic web site" and a "static web site" with the same content -- neither Google nor any other search engine can determine which tool(s) are or were being used to create or generate a site, unless the tools are identified on the site. (Of course, some technologies, like PHP or ASP or ColdFusion, are reflected in filenames -- but it's impossible to tell if a PHP or ASP or CF page is being served "dynamically" or is static.)

In my roles as an affiliate and as a consultant, I have created many dozens of these "cookie-cutter" web sites, to test various theories, and in most cases they are treated poorly by search engines. Occasionally, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that a "cookie-cutter site" that I created in 20 minutes is picked up by a search engine, and I'll see multiple product sales per month. Quite rarely, I will see such a site drive multiple product sales per day.

It is only when I create "something more" (than a cookie-cutter site) that I can see a clear performance curve. There are a number of actions I can take to move a site beyond "cookie-cutter" status:
    - Add original relevant content
    - Modify the text descriptions and file names
    - Load images directly from my server (not from the merchant's site)
    - Merge data from multiple sources (intelligently, not randomly)
    - Optimize the design and layout of the site to meet consumer needs

None of those actions require the use of a specific tool. I use WebMerge most frequently, but I've also used other tools, and I've "hand-coded" pages as well.

When a site is designed to be unique, and to provide original, useful content, it will almost always receive positive treatment from Google and other search engines.

In doing "deep analysis" of some search terms in the past, it seems pretty clear that the worst-ranked sites (of those not actually excluded, which I can't measure) are actually sites that poorly merge source data in a blatant attempt to capture search traffic. These are not specifically "affiliate sites," and my hunch is that most are dynamically database-driven, but some might be static pages created using a tool like WebMerge.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    why is my site mentioned above? That is quite clearly against the ABW rules.
    easy guy.. i never put the web address i just said a site that was clearly on webmerge website.. it is dont post affiliate ULRS or LINKS i never.. so steady on jack

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

Morethanable, do that again and you're outta here.... You've been told over and over again NOT to post other people's site links.

I never.. maybe you people are blind or something.. I said a name of a site.. Not a LINK.. big difference

ABW Ambassador
    Can't do that either. Affiliate link or affiliate url. Take affiliate url as meaning name of site too.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly

also maybe jack should report himself as he has affiliate links below him in his sig LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Can't do that either. Affiliate link or affiliate url. Take affiliate url as meaning name of site too.
    ok thank you for explaining that.. I wouldnt have listed it if i had known it meant even names of sites

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Again, it seems clear that you're "on a roll" to bash WebMerge, without actually looking for relevant data.

WebMerge is often used to generate "cookie-cutter" affiliate sites:
    - with an uninterrupted sequence of direct links (or poorly-cloaked links) to merchant sites (most often, to a single merchant site),
    - with product names and descriptions drawn directly from the merchant datafeed (and thus identical to the text at many other sites),
    - with images loaded directly from the merchant's server,
    - with no original content and no valid backlinks.

These "cookie-cutter" sites will inevitably be treated badly by search engines -- no matter what tool is used to generate them. As I've noted in another thread, there is no difference between a "database-driven dynamic web site" and a "static web site" with the same content -- neither Google nor any other search engine can determine which tool(s) are or were being used to create or generate a site, unless the tools are identified on the site. (Of course, some technologies, like PHP or ASP or ColdFusion, are reflected in filenames -- but it's impossible to tell if a PHP or ASP or CF page is being served "dynamically" or is static.)

In my roles as an affiliate and as a consultant, I have created many dozens of these "cookie-cutter" web sites, to test various theories, and in most cases they are treated poorly by search engines. Occasionally, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that a "cookie-cutter site" that I created in 20 minutes is picked up by a search engine, and I'll see multiple product sales per month. Quite rarely, I will see such a site drive multiple product sales per day.

It is only when I create "something more" (than a cookie-cutter site) that I can see a clear performance curve. There are a number of actions I can take to move a site beyond "cookie-cutter" status:
    - Add original relevant content
    - Modify the text descriptions and file names
    - Load images directly from my server (not from the merchant's site)
    - Merge data from multiple sources (intelligently, not randomly)
    - Optimize the design and layout of the site to meet consumer needs

None of those actions require the use of a specific tool. I use WebMerge most frequently, but I've also used other tools, and I've "hand-coded" pages as well.

When a site is designed to be unique, and to provide original, useful content, it will almost always receive positive treatment from Google and other search engines.

In doing "deep analysis" of some search terms in the past, it seems pretty clear that the worst-ranked sites (of those not actually excluded, which I can't measure) are actually sites that poorly merge source data in a blatant attempt to capture search traffic. These are not specifically "affiliate sites," and my hunch is that most are dynamically database-driven, but some might be static pages created using a tool like WebMerge.

mark no its not clear.. you have misunderstood.. maybe instead of posting that i am on a bashing spree.. maybe you could pvt msg me and ask me.. unless of course your out to make me look like a bad person.. then it would make sense

also maybe jack should report himself as he has affiliate links below him in his sig LOL
    Maybe you should relax & chill out a bit.

Jack has enough posts to put his links in his sig if he wishes to do so.
    Members with a given # of posts can put urls into their sigs -- check with a Mod, I am not a Mod.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Maybe you should relax & chill out a bit.

Jack has enough posts to put his links in his sig if he wishes to do so.
    Members with a given # of posts can put urls into their sigs -- check with a Mod, I am not a Mod.
    im joking.. man you people are anal.

plus an interesting thing is if you look his store is using mysql

there is no getting away from it.. sites created with webmerge have rank on the homepage and none on the other pages.. pages which have datafeeds on them..

so unless you can show a webmerge site using datafeeds which has rank on all the datafeed pages.. i conclude the facts are in the pudding.

im joking.. man you people are ------
    No comment
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

man you people are anal
    man you are an *****. (that's what the mods want to say, but they won't).
    Last edited by loxly; October 3rd, 2006 at 03:01 PM.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

so unless you can show a webmerge site using datafeeds which has rank on all the datafeed pages.. i conclude the facts are in the pudding.
    Wow, you came to a conclusion? That means you can drop the topic and go on to something else.

If you think PHP & MySQL are the best ways to go, then brush up on them quickly because the holiday season is gonna be here soon.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    man you are an *******. (that's what the mods want to say, but they won't).
    what and your not, yeah sure!!! LOL..
    Last edited by loxly; October 3rd, 2006 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Wow, you came to a conclusion? That means you can drop the topic and go on to something else.

If you think PHP & MySQL are the best ways to go, then brush up on them quickly because the holiday season is gonna be here soon.
    Well said Rhia.. end of story, end of thread!

Affiliate Manager
    Hey folks, please, let's be civil. If we want to promote professional behavior we can do that best through example.

While this anonymous poster has demonstrated an unusual talent for annoying people, I've read enough posts that I don't believe it's intentional.

What started as mere impatience in wanting immediate answers, sometimes presented in a way that can appear confrontational even if unintended, has met with responses that limit further interactions from this poster to ones which are defensive and angry, prompting more of the same all around.

In unchecked this could escalate unnecessarily, and take the fun out of an otherwise good time we might be having here.

So as the moderator for this lil' corner of ABW, I'd like to make this suggestion:

TABULA RASA

Let's please let all previous posts go, and start fresh here.

Morethanable, if you have questions I have confidence that you can post them in ways that encourage helpful replies.

And for the rest of you, please remember how easy it is to misread text-only communications, and try to maintain a helpful, professional tone. If in doubt, sometimes it may be best not to post at all and let something that looks like a bad thread just die a quiet death. That way if a poster has bad intentions you're not playing into them, and if not you haven't insulted unnecessarily.

Thanks for being patient with this moment of List Mom. Now, back to our regularly scheduled good times....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Seems that webmerge sites dont get indexed very well in google.. or hold page rank

i was looking at (edited out) one mentioned on the main site, and the homepage had rank and the other pages didnt... common it seems with webmerge sites

makes me think that database driven may be the better way to go?
    The program you use to generate pages have NOTHING to do with pagerank.

Links coming into that page affect that PAGES page rank. Not the whole website. If the first page has rank and no other that would indicate the front page is the only one with links pointing in and the navigational links are so screwed up that the rank isn't getting distribute/dispursed into the inner pages.

Webmerge or any other program will NEVER effect page rank. End of story.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

http and a telephoto
    Thread closed. End of story. Richard if you have something to add, you can certainly reopen it and add it But Mark put it quite succinctly.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

24. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread