ABW Ambassador
    Who is Number 2?
    As I add lots of new merchants each week to my sites I always see the same old quote like "We are the leading retailer of..." or "We are the #1 online retailer of...."

With all the #1 & leading retailers around it would be so unique and very interesting to find a company out there who is the #2 retailer.

I thought companies would have woken up to this 90's Internet hype and realize consumers are not as stupid as they think. I'm also sick of seeing affiliate links in CAPS and with copy like "CLICK HERE"

Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    As I add lots of new merchants each week to my sites I always see the same old quote like "We are the leading retailer of..." or "We are the #1 online retailer of...."
    Without many of them knowing this, the above phenomenon beautifully illustrates their strive for the Zipf's Law transfer to their business, or at least their strive to portraying their business as one fit for the law. You can read about the law in depth here, but in a nutshell it describes the correlation of the volume of business with the rank of the business, which is proven to be in inverse proportion (e.g.: within one website a webpage with a popularity rank of #1 gets 100 times more visitors than the webpage with a popularity rank of #100, the #1 page also gets 1000 times more visitors than the #1000 page, and so on). Seth Godin's "Unleashing the Ideavirus" addresses this briefly yet quite eloquently in relation to the Internet business and consumer behavior.

Geno

With all the #1 & leading retailers around it would be so unique and very interesting to find a company out there who is the #2 retailer.

I thought companies would have woken up to this 90's Internet hype and realize consumers are not as stupid as they think. I'm also sick of seeing affiliate links in CAPS and with copy like "CLICK HERE"

A bit off topic:

Just thought about all of these furniture stores around here. A lot of them are "going out of business" AND MUST LIQUIDATE NOW! Problem is, you see them there, in the very same spot the next year, and the year after that...

"I thought companies would have woken up to this 90's Internet hype and realize consumers are not as stupid as they think..."

Ain't that the truth. But it either works, or they just don't know any better.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I do not know No 2 is but i know who No 13 is.

The answer to No 13

I can know who No 2 is but I have to buy that book, you will see the light and see NO 2

(if you are on the list, somebody in your company should have gotten that book for free)

Number 2?

Wouldn't that be our very own Poopie Nubert?

JK

I think that would be an interesting selling point for anything would you sign up for a program that promises:

"We strive to do just enough to not be the best. Our team of 2nd place underachievers works reasonably hard, or at least does just enough to get by. Our tech support is availiable 23/6 to assist in most areas."

I thought companies would have woken up to this 90's Internet hype and realize consumers are not as stupid as they think...
    The readers of this forum (for the most part) wouldn't fall for that. But have you looked out the window lately? Don't assume you're not smarter than most. I'll bet you are.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm also sick of seeing affiliate links in CAPS and with copy like "CLICK HERE"
    "Click Here" (with or without caps) is usually my best performing link, and I'm sure it's the same for many others. So I suggest you turn off the computer if you don't want to see it, because it's not going away.

As for a #2 company, Pepsi-Cola has held the position for years. I think they still haven't overtaken Coke. But no company I know of wants to *brag* about being #2.

consumers are not as stupid as they think.
    I prescribe 2 months of Customer Service in a grocery store, to forever cure you of your delusions of regular humans having intelligence. (Why a grocery store? Because even idiots, jerks and crazies have to eat, so you'll see all the types you obviously haven't yet run into, or have blocked from your memory.)

50% of people are below average, by definition. "Average" is dead center between the ultra-smart and the ultra-dim. That means that half the place is DIMMER than mere average!

And, only 2% of people have IQs over something like 135 as measured by standardized IQ tests (IIRC, that's what it takes to get into Mensa, and they only accept the top 2%). So if you go up a mere 35 points from average (average = 100), you're considered a GENIUS!

So--people in general are as bad as companies think. And there's more money in advertising to the 98% than there is in advertising to the 2%.

Just remember to hit mute when the HEAD ON! ad comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    But have you looked out the window lately? Don't assume you're not smarter than most. I'll bet you are.
    Exactly.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Click Here!!!!!
    I agree with Leader on the Click Here issue. Because those of us HERE are so close to what we do, we can easily fall out of touch with what the average consumer / internet visitor responds to.

A call to action (or several) is a must for effective closing / conversions. To us, we KNOW that if we want to buy we don't need to see Click Here. But as Leader says, that little call to action is still a top performing prompt that gets average people to the next step. So I say Click Here and make me smile!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Click here or buy now
    Reading this thread has made me think - instead of "buy now" - or "add to my basket" would "click here" increase conversions , even ever so slightly, on a shopping cart system ?

Thanks Leader, one of the website builing forums suggested "click here" is not good for webpages because it doesn't comply with best practice etc. so I have avoided click here - I will go back and use click here exactly just where I do want the visitor to click!
    :Todd:

Reading this thread has made me think - instead of "buy now" - or "add to my basket" would "click here" increase conversions , even ever so slightly, on a shopping cart system?
    Hmm. I don't know! I think I'll change out my buy buttons on GoodBulbs and see what comes of it. I've always used Click Here on affiliate sites, wouldn't do without it actually. But I didn't think of doing it on the merchant-side. And now I wonder how I ever missed that, since it works so well on aff sites!

one of the website builing forums suggested "click here" is not good for webpages because it doesn't comply with best practice etc.
    Web design mavens are usually like oil to the water of sales Especially when it comes to affiliate sites, but some web-designer faves would also hurt merchant sites (like the practice of not underlining links. Way to kill the conversions--make it so customers can't tell what's clickable!)

IMO the practice that results in the most legit conversions that stick, is the best practice.

(I make sure to say "legit" because on rare occasion, some lurker will try to interpret my comments of that nature WAY too broadly...)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    there is some interesting thoughts coming through...

As for the CLICK HERE thing, I personally don't like seeing merchants send or offer text links with CLICK HERE as I have thousands of merchants on some of my coupon sites and if every link has CLICK HERE on it then you can imagine how my site keyword ranking would appear to the search engine robots 10,000 instances of CLICK HERE etc. I prefer to see merchants be a bit more creative with the text copy otherwise I will use my own.

In fact CLICK HERE has brought in very few sales for me.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Talking
    Googled -click here-

even more results than -website-

So 'click here' does nothing to get them to your site....but once they get there, it's a great way to convert the 'bottom half'.

I do think CLICK HERE is much better than the standard Buy Now button cj puts on their product links.
    Who is going to hit "buy now' when there is no price listed, and the merchant name is'nt even shown usually?

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I've seen number 2
    If you pay attention you can see if. Number 2 or 3 etc will usually say things like we are amung the most/best whatever. Usually there will be more qualifiers, even for number 1. So even the number 1, aren't really number 1, just number 1 in some sort of small niche.

Also if the merchant is small, they will usually say they are the number 1 fasting growing, or amung them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Simcat
    I do think CLICK HERE is much better than the standard Buy Now button cj puts on their product links.
    Who is going to hit "buy now' when there is no price listed, and the merchant name is'nt even shown usually?
    Yeah, the "buy now" is junk for those product links. On the rare occasion that I use one in that format, I always make sure to change it to some better call to action. With the tiny bit of info those links give--sometimes not even a merchant name, as you said--"buy now" is a scary thing to click...

Quote Originally Posted by Ojmoo
    Usually there will be more qualifiers, even for number 1. So even the number 1, aren't really number 1, just number 1 in some sort of small niche.
    Hey, yeah, that's right!

*starts thinking up things for GB to be "#1" of *
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    *starts thinking up things for GB to be "#1" of *
    GB needs to start offering GB's to the #1 match of the merchant-bonus correlation

Geno

I agree that the "number 1" thing can be manipulated. I used to work for a company that owned two of the three country music radio stations in town. Each time the Arbitron ratings came out, between the two of them they each would have at least one demo where they came out number 1. So both stations would say in their promos that they were "number 1". They just failed to add the "number 1 with adult women age 35-42" part.

I'm sure that many other companies operate the same way.

Sheri

How about "Click Here to Buy Now"
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager
    Glinted, your thread just caused me to go to GoDaddy and attempt to register IsNumberOne.com to offer subdomains... Sadly, its taken.

I would have given you glinted.isnumberone.com for free-- haha

On a serious note, however, being number two can honestly rock. One of my merchants is number two in its industry-- has been for quite a while, and hopefully will be for just as long. The "#1" in that industry has absymal service, little concern for the customer, and does a good job of scaring business to us. Its like drafting a semi on the freeway-- they take the drag off, we get to run more efficiently.

Besides, I don't even think they have an affiliate manager-- I can't tell you how many affiliates I get that come to me for the same reason customers do. When they do, they're happy they did!

-Mike-

(and i'm leaving out the merchant name, i don't want to be advertorial)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am working on a multi-variant testing project for affiliates sites and will keep that one in mind when I get the right affiliate site. Right now the project is for Ancestry.com and the sites are genealogy affiliates. It would be interesting to settle the argument to see if it makes a difference.

We had run a test on the lead gen page for a nursing school. They tried different pictures of women in nursing uniforms and as a one off tried a big wood desk with a balding middle aged man in a white smock. Would you believe the guy had a higher conversion.

Moral of the story, some times you don't have a clue what motivates people until to experiment.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread