Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Coach sues Target!
    LOVE IT! Publicity stunt?

Coach: Target sells counterfeit handbags

By Susan Decker and Andria Cheng
    Bloomberg News
    Published October 3, 2006, 10:32 AM CDT

Coach Inc., the luxury leather-goods maker, sued Target Corp., claiming the second-largest U.S. discount chain was selling counterfeit versions of one of its handbags.

Coach said it's investigating how many copycats were sold by Target and believes it may be more than $1 million worth of a bag explicitly identified as a genuine product, according to a lawsuit filed Sept. 29 in federal court in Manhattan.

The complaint for trademark infringement claims Minneapolis- based Target is purposely misleading customers into believing they are buying a Coach bag at a discount. A bag bought at a Target store in Largo, Florida, ``is an exact replica'' of a Coach bag, the suit claimed. Target said it's investigating the allegations.

``Target has procedures in place to ensure that we do not sell counterfeit products,'' the company said in an e-mailed statement. ``We have been assured that the Coach product showcased in our store is authentic therefore we believe the lawsuit is without merit.''

Coach is seeking a court order barring Target from selling counterfeit bags. The lawsuit also requests payment of any profits the discount retailer made on sales of the item, and the name of the person or company that's been supplying it.

Target has outpaced the growth of bigger rival Wal-Mart Stores Inc. by offering clothing from well-known designers such as Sophie Albou and Isaac Mizrahi.

Coach, the biggest U.S. luxury leather-goods maker, sells handbags for an average price of $290 and is introducing an even higher-priced line with an average price of $450.

Target shares rose 57 cents to $55.82 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading and are up 7.5 percent from a year ago. Coach shares fell 20 cents to $34.20 and are up 9.1 percent from this time last year.

The case is Coach Inc. v. Target Corp., 06cv7875, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

--With reporting by Thom Weidlich in New York.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the following, I must be way out of touch (or just because I'm a guy), but I've never heard of these two:
    Target has outpaced the growth of bigger rival Wal-Mart Stores Inc. by offering clothing from well-known designers such as Sophie Albou and Isaac Mizrahi.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

You haven't heard of Mizrahi?? The horror!

[hangs head in shame]

Heck, here in Nebraska I never even heard of those purses. But we have many Target stores. We even have a Holiday Inn Express (I should sleep there some night and see how much smarter I am the next day)
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Target carrying Mizrahi is an abomination. These designers sell out the the discount houses then the discounter chews them up and spits them out leaving the designer's brand worthless and the designer can't figure out why.

What's next? Kmart going to sell Rolls Royce automobiles?

This is fishing???

Also, doesn't Target have an affiliate program? I bet the searches for Target Coach handbag increased...I know all my girlfriends are out there trying to find one, lol!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread