Quickie Question about WordPress Blogs
    If I create a WordPress Blog on my (paid) hosting would I be able to insert affiliate links into my blog? I heard from somewhere that I might not be able to?

Right now I use Blogger Blogs but I am thinking of using WordPress.
    I can't see a conflict from affiliate links, but somewhere I heard that doing so would create a problem.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've been doing it for a couple of years on more than one site. If there's a problem, I don't know it. WordPress is just the content management system you're using for your blog unless you put it on their free hosting. And they have so many plug-in themes.

ABW Ambassador
    JM, what do you do about all the duplicate content WP puts out? Is there a plugin you use to prevent that?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What JMoore said.

Unfortunately for my blogs, I just can't stay interested enough in c*ntent, even sales content, to keep on posting it day after day after day. To me it's like washing dishes! So they're pretty dead, now. And I've gone back to the digital equivalent of paper plates.

Long live feeds!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    WP is great and feature packed and easy to use as is, but out of the box it spits out tons of duplicate content, multiple copies of the same pages so most of them go supplemental. And it does take some serious modifying and/or tweaking code and templates and hunting up plugins to do some fixes. As is, it isn't really search engine friendly. There are some easy to modify themes but it still takes knowing some php, I've been fooling with it lately to see what can be done.

I'm not much into blogging, I've got one and need to put up another one or two but don't really look forward to it. When I get time to really get down how to customize (or pay and have someone do it) I'll think about doing an affiliate site on one - but now now 'til the duplicate issue gets fixed up.

You don't have to use it as strictly a blog, it makes "pages" so it can be used as a CMS to automate certain functions.

Blogger is easier.

what do you do about all the duplicate content WP puts out? Is there a plugin you use to prevent that?
    I'm using the (Permalink Redirect WordPress Plugin) on one blog.

I've never had one of my blogs go supplemental, plug-in or not.

I think there's so many blogs out there now that google, for example, is not going to start dropping them wholesale for same-domain dup content.

Different domain dup content is another story of course.

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, they have been hitting sites for dups on the same site. Not only blog sites, but others as well, both ecom and static and data driven or feed sites. The forums are full of people crying the blues with having most of their sites go supplemental. It isn't banned, it isn't penalized, it's just filtered out of the regular index and put into the other one that barely ever gets crawled.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lemental+index

What I've seen Google do on one WP site is index the pages in the dated archives just fine, and stash all the others, permalink and category pages alike, in the Supplemental Index.

I installed one real quick right out of Fantastico (with a few plugins added) for a client to play around with being able to put up his own content. He did a few levels of parent/child categories that would have been fine with regular site pages, but he ended up with 5 copies of each of the articles he put up. Needless to say, it's getting changed. I've got some PHP code to put into the head section to disallow bots from all pages but one copy of blog pages, and we'll only do news in the regular blog and all else, including articles, as "pages" and we'll set up a table of contents type page that links to the pages topically.

I think there's so many blogs out there now that google, for example, is not going to start dropping them wholesale for same-domain dup content.
    Sure there's plenty of blogs out there, and plenty of autogenerated pages and datafeed pages and data driven ecom sites that are onsite dups or close to it. They're not getting dropped, they're getting filtered out of the regular SERPs.

SEO rule of thumb: Each page = one and one only URL.

I've never had one of my blogs go supplemental, plug-in or not.
    Here's what Matt Cutts' Supplemental pages look like for his PR7 site with plenty of deep links. ;-)
    Last edited by webworker; October 4th, 2006 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    If I create a WordPress Blog on my (paid) hosting would I be able to insert affiliate links into my blog? I heard from somewhere that I might not be able to?

Right now I use Blogger Blogs but I am thinking of using WordPress.
    I can't see a conflict from affiliate links, but somewhere I heard that doing so would create a problem.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes. Not so. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WebWorker
    What I've seen Google do on one WP site is index the pages in the dated archives just fine, and stash all the others, permalink and category pages alike, in the Supplemental Index.
    If it indexes at least one copy of each thing just fine, what does it matter if the others go supplemental? I'd think one copy of each post on the site would do...
    It isn't banned, it isn't penalized, it's just filtered out of the regular index and put into the other one that barely ever gets crawled.
    So being supplemental doesn't affect SERP rank--they just hardly ever recrawl those pages? I've noticed some high-ranking "supplemental" pages under some keywords...if it doesn't mal-effect SERP rank, I have quite a few sites where non-recrawl wouldn't hurt them at all (basically anything hand-done that's still live is done in such a way as to never need changing, at least not unless the merchant dies...)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I use word press because I don't know how to do web design. I have affiliate links in the posts as well as in the link categories on the sidebars. I have made some changes to the site i.e taking out the Blogroll and on one site takeing out the date stamp so that it looks less like a blog. I have VERY minimal HTML experience and have been able to tinker with it.

I have to fess up and say that I don't understand what everyone is talking about when they are discussing supplemental pages, so I don't know if that is effecting my sites. However, both of them got spidered quickly (and regularly), and the one that has very less competition in the market place ranks in the top 5 on all of the major search engines just with my minimal SEO knowledge. It is gaining traffic everyday, and both have begun making money for me.

Originally, WP didn't allow adsense, but there is now a plug in for that if you are wanting to use it. Lots of custom themes out there that people have created on their own.

For a non-web designer it is my best, FREE solution to having a web page.

Sheri

i have to disagree there isnt an issue with duplicate content unless you are posting duplicate content.

noone using wordpress sticks with the default theme,there are tons of themes out there and its very easy to customize the php

All my blogs get indexed like mad and many of my posts are indexed within a day to 2 days by google. Though much of that is to do with how often you are updating your site

If your updating it once or twice a day.. the spiders visit a heck of alot often than if you post once a month

second if your content you are posting is original and good.. that really helps.. many people just use blogs with automated crap software.. no wonder they suffer

You have 4 options for inserting affiliate links into the post

You can do it, in the template
    you can do it in the post as you post
    You can use software to determine what words to link to what aff prog
    You can use datafeeds into your blogs

ABW Ambassador
    second if your content you are posting is original and good.. that really helps..
    It sure does help, and it's all original, except that without modifications and hacks it puts out that same unique content on multiple pages.

There's a bunch of features for everything imaginable if you customize - if you have time to figure it out and do it LOL. Not too much time available for potchkying around with it in the heat of fourth quarter, unfortunately.

Some fixes here - all strictly for SEO purposes, though they take getting into the PHP code a bit

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3097706.htm
    Last edited by webworker; October 4th, 2006 at 12:21 PM.

WP is great and feature packed and easy to use as is, but out of the box it spits out tons of duplicate content, multiple copies of the same pages so most of them go supplemental. And it does take some serious modifying and/or tweaking code and templates and hunting up plugins to do some fixes. As is, it isn't really search engine friendly. There are some easy to modify themes but it still takes knowing some php, I've been fooling with it lately to see what can be done.
    I think I'm missing something when it comes to the duplicate content issue. I'm wondering if you're installing WP as a quick benefit thru your host or something? Let me say what I do and then please tell me what I'm missing. Keep in mind that I discovered WP in May 05 and do it the way I learned then.

I use my own domain and my own paid hosting. I download the latest version of WP and set up the database connection per the instructions and then install or configure - I don't remember which term it uses. Then I upload the theme I picked for that particular domain - I have a couple of faves which I modify to suit myself like this: I replace the photos with my own images and sometimes even change the color scheme.

I always immediately go in to the sidebar code and move things around to suit myself; completely eliminating most of the links that come with. I don't use any plug-ins that I remember, but I've been trying to get around to adding that one that fights comment spam. By eliminating the pre-packaged stuff (links) I might be losing what you're talking about?

Then I add my own content, which is usually a combination of posting and articles (pages). My biggest accomplishment was figuring out how to use some of the themes I liked as templates for static pages. That was really just learning how the CSS controlled things. Along the way I picked up enough PHP to be dangerous.

I'm curious as to where this duplicate content you're talking about comes from? I really think I'm missing something here.

Judi,

From what I could read in that WMW link, the duplicate content comes from when you put a post in your blog and put it in a couple of category tags. Then that same post shows up on your main page, each category page, and your archives.

Some say that the search engines can tell the difference and accomodate for this, others say that it hurts your SEO eventually.

On that link provided above there are some tips regarding putting a "no follow" on your supplemental pages to avoid the appearance of duplicate content when the SEs come spidering.

I personally, have seen nothing to tell me that the search engines are having issues with my sites.

*** Side question***
    I can't seem to get images to show up in my WP blog whether it is within a post or trying to put it in my links on the side bar. Anyone have some basic info. that might show me how to do that correctly?

Thanks!
    Sheri

Each post is uniquely identified with a name or number- e.g: ?p=432
    If I classify it in 15 categories, it's still just one dynamic page that is pulled for 15 different possible queries (not counting archives, other cross promotion links, etc.)

If what is being suggested is true, then every page in all my sites are a problem, because I link to them from directory pages, category pages, sales copy and emails to my family.

If Google or any other SE can not tell that a page is on my site only once, even though there are multiple ways to get to it, then I defintely vote for "make your site for the reader and not for the SE".

My guess is that somebody wrote an ebook or article full of crap and enough people stole it and passed the crap along that nows it part of our myth structure. I say that without checking any sources, so if there's an expert out there who can set me straight - I love to learn new stuff.

BTW: someone said that Adsense used to be against the rules and now it isn't. I don't know how long WP has been around, but the first one I installed had a place to put my Adsense if I didn't know how to tweak it somewhere else. That was part of a previous year's theme, which suggests that it had been around long enough to be part of the standard structure.
    Last edited by jmoore61103; October 4th, 2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: tipo

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    JM, what do you do about all the duplicate content WP puts out? Is there a plugin you use to prevent that?
    Is duplicate code created in excess?
    Is there any superfluous code that would complicate the efficiency of affiliate code?

It was my understanding that WP is praised for flexibility, any thoughts on that?

Also blogs tend to focus on a theme (so that most of the blog will have a theme that is intertwined into everything else or the theme will be recurrent) -- why would that be a problem?

I know that the blog posts (in WP) are categorized/classified, but I didn't consider that to be duplicate content, is that part of the duplicate content?

Isn't WP easier to control or is it?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Pros & Cons of WordPress vs. Blogger?
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 4th, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    Judi,

From what I could read in that WMW link, the duplicate content comes from when you put a post in your blog and put it in a couple of category tags. Then that same post shows up on your main page, each category page, and your archives.
    Category tags are contributing to the duplicate content?
    I would think that the main content is the blog post/paragraph/story itself -- I don't see why a category classification would create a duplicate problem?
    I would think that the categories would help to give weight.

I personally, have seen nothing to tell me that the search engines are having issues with my sites.
    That's good

*** Side question***
    I can't seem to get images to show up in my WP blog whether it is within a post or trying to put it in my links on the side bar. Anyone have some basic info. that might show me how to do that correctly?

Thanks!
    Sheri
    That's an important question (not just a side *lol*).
    It's pretty easy to insert a picture/image into a Blogger blog, why would it be difficult in a WordPress blog?

Btw -- thanks everyone for the discussion
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Adsense is only against the rules if the blog is HOSTED at Wordpress' free hosting. Never was a problem in self-hosted sites.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The duplicate content occurs because of how WP makes its internal links.
    Go to your blog, and take a look at the URLs in your browser addy bar after you click the links to a post. There's a different URL for accessing it via a link to:

The post itself (clicking the headline)
    The category
    The date
    (And maybe more ways that I didn't think of)

The theory, as I understand it, is that G thinks these are really all seperate pages. And it stands to reason that it would, from a technical standpoint. But, since they're into blogging themselves, I would have expected them to have coded their algo to be ready for this phenomenon, at least when it comes to blogs. You never know, though, the stupidity of the G Algo can be boundless...

I can't seem to get images to show up in my WP blog whether it is within a post or trying to put it in my links on the side bar. Anyone have some basic info. that might show me how to do that correctly
    Looking at an old post on one of mine, it looks like I just entered the standard img src HTML tags into the post... There's also a button that'll add the tags for you if you click it and then paste the ImageURL (with no HTML) into a popup input box. I don't know if I did that one directly or through the box, but if one way doesn't work the other should.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What I am hearing is that WordPress is the way to go and to sign-up for Pingomatic. It has been suggested that you shouldn't include affiliate links right off the bat and maybe not for a month. When you get to 30 posts Google will start indexing your blog as new content. I talked to an affiliate today who got Google love at 45 posts and now it is coming daily.

Another group of affiliates are combining blogs with social networking and seeing first page SERPS. It may be short lived but they are getting sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    What I am hearing is that WordPress is the way to go and to sign-up for Pingomatic. It has been suggested that you shouldn't include affiliate links right off the bat and maybe not for a month. When you get to 30 posts Google will start indexing your blog as new content. I talked to an affiliate today who got Google love at 45 posts and now it is coming daily.

Another group of affiliates are combining blogs with social networking and seeing first page SERPS. It may be short lived but they are getting sales.
    I am about to turn off the computer for the night but I just read your post -- thanks for the advice -- sounds like a good plan.

I have 2 potential interactive blogs in my mind and I'm trying to choose which way to go. My host will allow 5 WordPress blogs (I believe).

Thanks, Chuck
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My MO now is not to panic when a bunch of pages go supplemental. Just noticed a couple of sites have just gone (un) supplemental again.
    Google quirks mostly IMO

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread