Question Best way to handle deleting pages?
    What is the best way handle deleting pages? I'm in the process of downsizing one of my sites that has way too many "junk" pages (it was my first site). Should I use redirects? Just put up pages saying "this page no longer exists"? Any ideas, tips, suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Thanks
    Mel

http and a telephoto
    Custom 404 pages are a wonderful thing if there are too many to redirect. If you are deleteing directories, each one can have it's own htaccess that directs visitors to via a redirect 301 or to a custom 404 for that directory.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Agreed with loxly! Custom 404's are great!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I think it's a better idea to keep the pages but list similar products noting that the product they were seeking is out of stock. That way you don't have to dish out any 404's and you might be able to salvage an unlikely sale. As long as you keep the information pertaining to the original products you can use that to find the most similar products.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

If you're doing this programmatically then a good idea would be to:

1. Create a routing table that contains all of your pages and the keywords for those pages.
    2. Re-route all of your page requests to a route controller via mod_rewrite so that all pages are served from the routing table.
    3. Whenever a page is "deleted" just mark it as inactive in the routing table and don't delete it.
    4. Now whenever a "deleted" page is requested just serve up a missing product page that suggest 2 or 3 closely related products based on the keywords that you originally attached to that url in your routing table.

-tm

Quote Originally Posted by Tobius
    If you're doing this programmatically then a good idea would be to:

1. Create a routing table that contains all of your pages and the keywords for those pages.
    2. Re-route all of your page requests to a route controller via mod_rewrite so that all pages are served from the routing table.
    3. Whenever a page is "deleted" just mark it as inactive in the routing table and don't delete it.
    4. Now whenever a "deleted" page is requested just serve up a missing product page that suggest 2 or 3 closely related products based on the keywords that you originally attached to that url in your routing table.

-tm
    That's basically what I said, but in a much more technical manner.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I think it's a better idea to keep the pages but list similar products noting that the product they were seeking is out of stock. That way you don't have to dish out any 404's and you might be able to salvage an unlikely sale. As long as you keep the information pertaining to the original products you can use that to find the most similar products.
    I'd be pretty apprehensive about doing this for pages that are optimised for trademarked brand or model names.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I understand what you are saying Snib and Tobius, and if my pages were specific I would be interested in going that route. However, most of these pages are subject/content, merchants, etc that I know longer want to promote on my site. Basically, when I was a newbie I had the "join everything" mentality and it's time to clean up!

MINDsprinter / loxly
    I'm going to look into the custom 404s. When I first started I used 302 redirects for some things, but heard these are bad??

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

302 redirects are "temporary redirects". So, unless you want users (and search engines) to keep checking up on these pages for some reason, 302 is not what you want.

http://www.internetofficer.com/302-redirect.html

If you want to do it that way (instead of the 404 page not found way, which is easier to program) try the 301 redirect.

http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like custom 404s. A well-done one can convert very well. And of course, well-done = it converts!
    But my best one isn't just a nice-looking 404 notice. There's tech involved. It doesn't actively suggest products, but it gives people a great chance of finding 'em.

http and a telephoto
    I said 301 not 302!!!!! 302=bad 301=good

But custom 404=best
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread