Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poland & Belgium ->> english is NOT my first language, so please forgive my language mistakes
    Question Lifetime commissions: worth the value or not ?
    Good day everyone,

I'm new to affiliate marketing, but have some knowledge on internet marketing. I have just signed up at Ken Evoy affiliate program.

He claims his affiliate program is the best because of the lifetime commissions scheme.

He pays commissions on every purchase a referred customer makes, not just on the first purchase. So this mean if I, as an affiliate, sell a copy of one of Mr. Evoy ebooks (MYSS for exemple), and the buyer subsequently purchase a membership to SBI, then I will get the commissions to SBI, even if the buyer didn't click on my SBI affiliate link.

Sounds great, but I really wonder: If this technique is as powerful as Mr. Evoy claims it is, why lifetime commissions are not used by every sellers on the planet, including famous webmarketers like John Reese or Armand Morin, to name only two of them?

Note that, according to Mr. Evoy definition, lifetime commissions are not "recurring commissions".

Anyone to enlight me?

Thanks!

Michal

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Seen that trick too. Didn't fall for it the first time and I'm not falling for it today, either.

Talking
    Assuming they are talking about a life time cookie that never expires.

It's doesn't mean anything. People delete cookies on their computers all the time.

If the cookie did not get blocked by some program and never got set to start with.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy

It's doesn't mean anything...
    Unless their tracking is not cookie based...

Poland & Belgium ->> english is NOT my first language, so please forgive my language mistakes
    From the affiliate point of view, one of the main problem I can see with "lifetime commissions" is every buyer already referred by an affiliate is lost forever for all other affiliates.

Lifetime commissions is supposed to motivate affiliates to work harder and smarter. But I'm not motivated at all to make a very informative affiliate website, spending hours a day updating and promoting it. Because a lot of potential buyers might have already been referred by someone else. They are lost for me!
    And maybe these potential buyers have been referred by an affiliate doing nothing but spamming people's email box, forum, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy

It's doesn't mean anything. People delete cookies on their computers all the time.
    Ken Evoy affiliate program use the buyer email address to track subsequent sales and assign commissions to the proper referring affiliate.

Sure, lifetime commissions have value in a product people will buy over and over. For example a lifetime commission on CD's would be great because the customer is likely to come back to purchase another. Lifetime commissions on ebooks and software is another story. There are only a small handful of products customers can purchase so they'll likely purchase one time and never again. It's like selling a car with lifetime floor mats - how often are you going to need a new floor mat? If that's their best selling point I'd be wary.

Honestly, I suggest staying away from affiliate programs like this. I've never been a fan of ebooks and usually it's just a hype-filled waste of time. I took a look at their website building tool and I suggest staying away from that as well. I'm wary of any software that doesn't let you try a demo first. Especially of this nature.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Talking
    Thank you Snib for your contribution!

But I don't need to know whether ebooks and scripts are good products to purchase, use or sell as an affiliate, or not. Everyone has his own opinion, and that's not the purpose of my thread.

Let's say ebook selling websites are great.
    OK ?

Thanks!

The question I ask is:
    Are lifetime commissions scheme affiliate programs interesting to promote, or not?
    If yes, why?
    If no, why?

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Site Build It! is about a whole lot more than just ebooks. They give as much away as they sell and their web creation/management tool is a great value at $299. Look deeper guys. Not every program out there is hype.

Quote Originally Posted by BlingBling
    The question I ask is:
    Are lifetime commissions scheme affiliate programs interesting to promote, or not?
    If yes, why?
    If no, why?
    My point was it depends on what you're selling. If it's something people will purchase over and over then they're great, but if it's something people will purchase one time there's no point.

- Scott

This is a case of a bird in the hand not being worth two in the bush.

I'd rather get a one-time commission on product lines that almost everybody buys all the time than a lifetime commission on a product that perhaps 1 out of 100,000 people may buy once in their lifetime.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    My point was it depends on what you're selling. If it's something people will purchase over and over then they're great, but if it's something people will purchase one time there's no point.

Thank you, but could you please be a bit more precise?
    Which exactly are the pros and cons?

Let's say my question is about a company selling 10 products P1, P2, ..., P10, each of them on a separate website.

If a Buyer By referred by an Affiliate Af buys the product P3, Af gets the commission.

Subsequently, if By buys P7, Af will gets the commission, even if By didn't click on Af's affiliate link.

Moreover, if By clicks on another affiliate link, let's call him Af2, then Af2 will not gets the commission: Af will be credited with the commission, because he referred By on his first purchase.

Thank you to all of you!

SBI! is a yearly subscription so as long as your customer renews it's a yearly recurring commission. There are add ons as well such as an e-store.

It's not uncommon for people to own more than one SBI! site, I know of people with 4 so if you sign someone up like that it could be quite good!

The affiliate program is 2 tier as well

*edit* - Yes you're right about once a customer buys from you they are your customer regardless of who they might by another product through - for life.

Quote Originally Posted by dotdash
    Yes you're right about once a customer buys from you they are your customer regardless of who they might by another product through - for life.
    Yes, but on the other side, once a customer buys from another affiliate he's lost for me forever.

The only opportunity for me to get commissions is recruiting NEW customers. Customers who have already bought through an affiliate link to a company which use "lifetime commissions" are lost forever.

That's the problem for me.

Moreover, if the lifetime commissions scheme is so good, why only a couple of merchants are using it?

http and a telephoto
    Question was answered by Snib... it all depends on what you are selling.

Welcome to ABW, you might want to do a search and some reading on this and other subjects...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    and some reading on this and other subjects...

Great help.

I did a search on this forum as well as on Google. Nothing.

Hmm, something smells fishy here... We've got two fresh members promoting this program through a question. Are you guys affiliated with this program somehow?

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    it all depends on what you are selling.
    Please read post#13.

Let's say these products are electronic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Hmm, something smells fishy here... We've got two fresh members promoting this program through a question. Are you guys affiliated with this program somehow?

- Scott
    Ohhh

The only company I know using "lifetime commissions" is this one.

I will remove the reference to this company in my previous posts, if you want. No problem.

I JUST wish to know whether this scheme is interesting or not, and why. And also, if this is so great as this company claims it is, why is it not widely used.

Thanks

(Sorry, but english is not my first language.)
    Last edited by BlingBling; October 4th, 2006 at 06:14 PM.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Repeat and One Time
    Of course, I agree that it depends on what you are selling. In our case, a ion is something that someone often buys over and over again to treat an ongoing condition. So paying affiliates a recurring commission on refills is intended as good will to attract and keep good affiliates.

Whether the customer deletes a cookie or not, there are additional tracking methods that a good merchant will use to insure and supplement proper crediting of reorders.

On the other hand, if the product is a one time buy, like the post using the floor mat example mentions, offering a lifetime cookie could be more glitter than gold. That 1998 Chevy Sierra will be gone before the customer needs to order another floor mat, so lifetime means nothing. In the end, it simply depends on what you are selling and how the commission and tracking structure is set up.

Cheers All
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Of course, I agree that it depends on what you are selling
    Whether the customer deletes a cookie or not, there are additional tracking methods that a good merchant will use to insure and supplement proper crediting of reorders.
    Products are e-books (good or not, not the point).
    One time buy. Ten e-books sold on 10 separate websites.

Cookies are used to track the first purchase, and customer email address to track subsequent ones and assign commissions to the proper affiliate.

ABW Ambassador
    hmmmmmmm
    BlingBling seems to have the SAME attitude that other person we heard from last week had/has. Who was that again?

BDS
    Lifetime Accounts that work.

MYSS
    MYSS is 4 n

-----------

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There aren't answers to all the "whys." There just aren't. So it's pointless to get hung up on whys!

SOME of the reasons for things are logical and easy-to-state. But some of the reasons are "gut reactions" that can't be quantified. And there's an element of glorified randomness to human behavior, too.

You've pretty much got the "against" argument in a nutshell already. I agree with this:
    The only opportunity for me to get commissions is recruiting NEW customers. Customers who have already bought through an affiliate link to a company which use "lifetime commissions" are lost forever.
    This is a good point. It's something I don't like about those programs either.

Another thing is, some merchants who offer lifetime commissions make up for it by having lousy commission rates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast