Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I come up in the google search

pagan jewelry #1
    wiccan jewelry #2

Jim tools says there were 816 searches for pagan jewelry and 943 searches for wiccan jewelry on overture. I don't know if that is per month or day or what. He doesn't tell. Do you know?

I need to make my site sell!!!

I am also the #2 site for witch shop!!!

I have many more brand new pages. I need to be googled.

What can I do?

Advertising on overture would eat me alive. If it cost $50.00 for 1000 hits and 1% bought and I made $2.00 per sale, I would lose $30.00. Some deal, eh.

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    It is possible that Google demographics are not pegan whatever related and all the reported clicks for pegan whatever came form Yahoo! or some other SE.

just a thought

I do believe the figures are per month

No, the Jim tools thing-a-ma-bob is overture specific.

Do you know how to find out how many times a term is searched for in google?

Ssanf, you can use the free trial at wordtracker.com - it's a cut-down version but the final stats give daily estimates for the engine (google) you selected.. I think that's right [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Overture searches are reported on a monthly basis. In many cases Overture lumps other variations in with the same search, so those numbers will include searches for variations such as "jewellery" and likely some outright misspellings.

So, the number of times your listings might actually be seen on Google and elsewhere might be a few thousand a month. Let's guess at 5000. Some fraction of those who see your listing will click your listing. Let's guess at half. Of those who click through, the majority will look around but not buy. From my own sites I would expect at least 98% or 99% non-buyers even with fairly well targeted traffic.

Pulling those numbers together, I would say if you get 25 sales a month, you will be doing well for the category.

Whether that's enough to get rich on is another discussion!

Lawdy, I would be so happy with 25 sales a month. Last month I had 11 sales. average commissing was $3.88. (still earning from leads)

BUT, this month I created a ton of new sale pages for different products.

We'll see.

This thread addresses a question that concerns us all - how do we inspire people to buy once they've reached our site? I think a lot of people here are pretty good at driving targeted traffic to their sites, but a smaller group has a special knack for getting people to buy once they get there.

I've been spending a lot of time on this board reading posts and trying to crack that nut... haven't yet! If anyone has any insights on this, please let us know!

Yes, yes! That's the issue.

You can lead a hoar to books but you can't make her think!

(sorry, Loki made me do it)
    (appologies to Loki--just kidding)

Anyone trying to make sales offline or online has to ask for the sale

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: chinaski ]

ABW Ambassador
    Life would be wonderful if it was as easy as you make it sound! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It's not easy, we both know that!! But sure beats sitting in an office all summer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: chinaski ]

https://adwords.google.com/AdWords/main

I think this is correct.You should be able to get a ideal of how many times a keyword or
    keywords or searched for on Google a day

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Since you only had a couple of specific terms, as a one-time thing I went ahead and ran them through my WordTracker account.

For "Pagan Jewelry", they predict 17 searches/day for Google.

"Wiccan Jewelry" gets 28/day.

"Witch shop" and "witch shops" both get 3/day.

The specific product pages are probably your best bet. Each one may only get a search a day (your categories showed a few related terms that get that--one a day), but when you get a lot of products indexed, those single searches add up.

Your category is a fairly small niche, though. It'll take a lot more w*rk to make any real money in it, let alone get rich!

Unless the searchers are really typing something completely different to find that type of item. If you do find that to be the case (and can figure out the keywords most of the people are using), the amount of w*rk drops from making tons of product pages to simply optimizing for the term people are really using! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (I don't know if this is the case for your products or not, but I've had it happen with a few of mine!)

First, a little thing about keywords: Altavista still has its "others searched for" feature. Run a search there, and it will list other keyword combinations it says were used by people running the same search as you. Unfortunately, it has no suggeststions for "pagan jewelry".

Now then, since Janiss asked about converting customers, I've worked speciality retail (stood behind a counter selling cameras), and one thing I know: The more general the customer defines his/her needs, the more work the salesperson has to do. If all the customer will tell you is "I'm looking for a camera", he may just be window-shopping. If you can get him to admit he wants "a small camera", you've got some traction. Get him to admit "I need an easy camera for my 70-year old mother", and the sale is yours to lose.

So, as far as Ssanf's site goes, "pagan jewelry" might be a window-shopping search. Ssanf, how are you ranking on more specific things like "pentacle jewelry"? Do people actually search for things like "pagan robes"? Search terms are a big part of qualifying the lead. Once you've got those figured out, you can concentrate on salesmanship.

In particular, I think your jewelry page may be trying too hard to be all things for all shoppers, and overwhelming them with too many choices but not enough salesmanship. Figure out what the major categories are, and push them harder. Or at the very least, move them to the top of the page.

Your clothing and spell kit pages might be talking about the craftspeople too soon. People click on a link for "clothing", they want to see some clothing up front. Then you tell them why the "brand" you picked for them is a good one. Unless the customer has come to you looking for a specific brand, it's usually better to talk features and benefits first.

As far a categorizing merchandise on the site, one thing I can't emphasize enough for everybody: Don't just categorize by merchandise type, categorize by the customer type or customer needs. When I sold cameras, my mental map didn't just use categories like "digital" or "compact", it had categories like "good for college students" (they need manual focus for photography classes) and "good for Moms" (they need a camera they can grab and use quickly when the baby does something cute). Build useful lists in your head, then use them to organize the web site.

For example, with jewelry and clothing: it's a fashion category, too. Don't just market by symbolism and categorize by form. Think of other useful categories like Men/Women, or Special Occasions (Everyday vs. Ceremonial, maybe? You could even single out specific ceremonies, like handfasting.) Single out a page of jewelry that's good for gift-giving. (Do pagan boys buy jewelry for pagan girls? Boys almost always need help buying jewelry.)

These are just suggestions. I'm not an expert on paganism, but I could sell retail OK.

(BTW, Ssanf, you've got some seriously deranged HTML going on there. HEAD and TITLE inside a TABLE, extra HEAD and TITLE elements, a left-hand navigation pushing your content down, and a drop-down box that's completely unusable in Lynx. Considering your Google ranking, I don't know whether to curse you or congratulate you.)

chinaski: My boss always said "Don't ask for the sale. Assume the sale, then pitch the accessories." He was a jerk, but he won a lot of sales contests.

Expand out your site to cover other relative search terms. There's a few there which are wide open for the taking..

As for being rich? those search numbers are extremely low.. why not expand and diversify into other areas which are not related to your present site..

Regards,
    TK

Uh...I have pages optimised for the following of course with all the pagan witch terms thrown in. Most of these are fairly new.

Athame, Bells, Broom Besom, Candles, Candle Holders, floating candles, Handfasting Wedding Candles, Scented Candles, taper candles, Unscented Basic candles, Cauldrons, Chalice Goblet Bowl, Crystal Ball, Incense, burners ash catchers holders, Incense cones, Stick incense, Magick Wands, gem crystal, Mortar Pestle, Pagan Wiccan Ritual Clothing, Hood Cape Robe Set, Ritual Capes, Ritual Childrens Kids Clothing, Ritual Cloaks, Ritual Hoods, Ritual Robes, Pendulums, Posters, Scrying mirrors, Spell Kits, Swords, Tarot, Walking Stick Staff, bracelets, rings, toe rings, pendants and earrings

WHERE DID YOU SEE THE WIERD HTML? WHAT PAGE? LOOKS OK FROM WHAT I HAVE CHECKED.

>Athame, Bells, Broom Besom, Handfasting Wedding Candles, Cauldrons, Chalice Goblet Bowl, Magick Wands, Mortar Pestle, Hood Cape Robe Set, Ritual Capes, Scrying mirrors, Spell Kits, Walking Stick Staff...

How about a "Free Pagan Dictionary with any purchase" kinda promotion?.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-BluesX

-----------------------------------
    No I am not done yet.
    -----------------------------------

LOL well, I guess the idea is that my potential customers would already know what they are. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S. Those are all very important accouterments for witches.

SSanf,
    I just thought of something that might be fun and make sales - instead of making pages just around types of products, center them around themes - pagan weddings, for example. You could build a whole page that would help anyone create their dream pagan wedding by buying the products you are offering. Or pages for different pagan holidays and specific items that will be needed (I know a lot of tools are used all the time, but wouldn't it be cool to have a page of items that compliment each other visually, laid out really nicely and given a theme?).

Personally I love seeing stuff like this. It inspires my imagination and it makes me want to buy things.

Now, that's an idea.

Hum...For Baby's Wiccaning
    For your Handfasting
    For your Croning
    For Your Elder Ceremony

Whats 'croning'? Is that when a girl no longer feels the need to be demure?

If it is, then mine is well overdue.

I wonder if I get a present...???

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

When a woman passes beyond her reproductive years, she becomes a "crone". This is a very high status thing. She is considered to have become wise and gains in stature and respect. She is often at the height of her magickal powers. She is generally deferred to and honored unless she has shown herself to be unworthy of that respect. This change in status is marked by a rite of passage.

Both men and women become elders.

P.S. A high Priestess who has hived off new covens may also be known as a crone.

Women have three life stages...maiden, mother, crone

Edited to add [Oh. That makes a nice change from the Catholic tradition I grew up in. Once I'd declared (at 5) I wasn't going to be having any 'reproductive years' I can't say my status visibly increased in the community! But ISWYM. And I'm not there yet. So no presents for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ]

If I was going witch shopping, I think I'd type in 'occult supply'.

And if I was shopping for something for a spell, I'd be delighted to find items for spells arranged by subject as it would save me looking up correspondences. This would be good for beginners.

You could do a lot of business just from ABW members too! For instance 'protection spell supplies' might sell quite well to people like Pranav, Todd and Nancy... 'Good luck spell supplies' to anyone promoting Linkshare, etc..

An online moon almanac link next to the expected delivery date might help too, so people can be sure things will arrive in time.

I

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

Protection Spell kit for YOU!!!

Here's what we have

Banishing Evil Spell Kit Fidelity Spell Kit Money Spell Kit Protection Spell Kit
    Binding Spell Kit Friendship Spell Kit Nightmares Spell Kit Renewal Spell Kit
    Clarity Spell Kit Health Spell Kit Passion Spell Kit Sleep Dreams Spell Kit
    Cleansing Spell Kit House Blessing Spell Kit Peace Spell Kit Strength Spell Kit
    Confidence Spell Kit Joy_Happiness Spell Kit Broken Heart Spell Kit Success Spell Kit
    Consecration Spell Kit Love Spell Kit Power Spell Kit Tranquillity Spell Kit
    Enlightenment Spell Kit Luck Spell Kit Prosperity Spell Kit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast