Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Google to buy YouTube
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/t...e-youtube.html

any thoughts on this? wise decision? or bad investment?

I wonder if Cuban would still consider Google a "moron":
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79452

[B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    It's not for sure yet, maybe. And if they do, I don't know. I'm sure they're privy to information we aren't and have done their homework before such an acquisition.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Never say never......

Who was it that posted earlier this week that YouTube was destined to fail??
    If being bought by G = failure - color me there!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Mark Cuban?

http://www.blogmaverick.com/2006/09/...ne-of-youtube/

Of course he also said his show would be better than Trumps

http and a telephoto
    I heard rumblings about this months ago.... no surprize...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Google is making a stride towards wiping out competition for Google Video...I image if this goes through, you can expect google adsense around every video. I know Google has money to throw around, but I can't imagine them throwing $1.6 mill into something if they haven't already plotted out some well thought out revenue strategy.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Goog gobbles another Internet morsel ... they'll be buying Myspace next.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I heard rumblings about this months ago.... no surprize...
    Any chance they mentioned me, maybe toss me a few million for any of my sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I doubt Fox is going to sell their precious new site.

It would be interesting to see what Google does with Youtube if they do purchase it. I remember reading a couple months ago that Google is building major data storage boxes to place all over the world so everybody can access their data quickly. Apparently they're ramping up to become the next form of TV.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I doubt Fox is going to sell their precious new site.

Missed that - sorry. LOL - The only "news" I see or read is on ABW. :-)

It would be interesting to see what Google does with Youtube if they do purchase it. I remember reading a couple months ago that Google is building major data storage boxes to place all over the world so everybody can access their data quickly. Apparently they're ramping up to become the next form of TV.

- Scott
    Absolutely. Goog is on the cutting edge and YouTube is huge - the possibilities are endless and wonderful. Will also feed their video ad biz.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    To be honest, I was a bit suprised google didn't set out to develop their own online community. I know it's a bit off their normal path, but they seem to be dabbling in everything now, it seemed like a possible idea. But as long as MySpace continues to grow and be the phenom it is amongst teens and young adults, I don't forsee NewsCorp parting with MySpace anytime soon.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
    To be honest, I was a bit suprised google didn't set out to develop their own online community. I know it's a bit off their normal path, but they seem to be dabbling in everything now, it seemed like a possible idea. But as long as MySpace continues to grow and be the phenom it is amongst teens and young adults, I don't forsee NewsCorp parting with MySpace anytime soon.
    Well don't forget Google's own version of MySpace called Orkut. It's invite only, but it's got quite an audience from what I hear.

- Scott

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Never say never......

Who was it that posted earlier this week that YouTube was destined to fail??
    Probably me!

If being bought by G = failure - color me there!!!
    Hey, I'd sell too! And laugh all the way to the bank!

I also said that it's the last one holding such a purchase (when the trail of buyers finally ends) who's going to be sad, not the ones doing the selling and making the millions.

I refer you to the wiki on the BIGGER FOOL THEORY, a theory I'm a strong believer in.

Excerpts:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The bigger fool theory or greater fool theory (also called Survivor Investing) is the belief held by one who makes a questionable investment, with the assumption that they will be able to sell it later to "a bigger fool"; in other words, buying something for no other reason than the belief that you will be able to sell it to some one else for a higher price.
    And when I say it'll end up bombing, that refers to this:
    however, the market participants eventually realize that the price level is too outrageous and the speculative bubble pops.
    Now playing: DotComBoom 2.0.

DotCom Bust 2.0, coming soon.
    Enjoy the ride!

Leader,

But that's assuming it'll fail. Like I said before, Myspace was sold for $580 million to Fox News and they made their investment back in less than a year. I'm sure if Google purchases Youtube they'll garner quite a nice ROI. Not every online purchase is destined to fail.

- Scott

If G don't find some way to screw it up by trying to be the dictator of it, or putting a randomized-hash algo into it...

Not every online purchase is destined to fail.
    Oh, of course not!

For instance, the multimillion-dollar purchase of, say, a particular BULB company startup founded on the solid principles of making money by selling quality product and providing great service, would be a very sound investment!

(Actually, it would be. Gardening won't die when a particular generation gets 5 years older. And there's tons of data about the industry, so there's not so much guessing and wishing mucking with the projections.)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    (Actually, it would be. Gardening won't die when a particular generation gets 5 years older. And there's tons of data about the industry, so there's not so much guessing and wishing mucking with the projections.)
    If your implying that Myspace users will stop using it as they get older, I disagree. I just read that the average Myspace user is over 35 and this age group is increasing very fast. It's no longer about just catering to teenagers.

- Scott

*Yawn*

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Internet search leader Google Inc is in talks to buy popular Web video site YouTube Inc. for close to $1.6 billion
    Owners of you Tube should laugh all the way to the bank.

With Google Video becoming so popular, i am amazed that they are buying youTube for that amount. I guess G might have too much $$ that they are sitting on and to keep their growth and investors happy, they need to pull new rabbits out of the hat.

ABW Ambassador
    Remember BlueMountain.com?

Bought by Excite for nearly a billion, sold later for almost nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
    They are horrible at community building. Okrut is popular in brazil, that is about it. Their own video site started with zero community features and were only tacked on to compete with youtube - and they still don't get it.

it is like watching someone trying to copy the ipod design and thinking it being white is the important part of the design.

Unless google goes out and buys a social networking company, or hires away the entire staff, they will never do it. Their geek culture is not inclusive nor does it understand people very well. To date, google has really only won in search and adsense, every other of their side products is behind established market leaders. We get blinded here, thinking google is the center of the universe, but they really don't get people and need to change their core thinking before they do. Just look at base compared to craigslist or froggle compared to any other comparison shopping site, they are good with minimalism, not with catering to an audience's needs.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    Remember BlueMountain.com?

Bought by Excite for nearly a billion, sold later for almost nothing.
    Mmm-hmm...

*Checks this out*

Seems Excite itself became very UNexciting shortly thereafter:

Excite buys Blue Mountain for $780 Million, 1999
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-231860.html

Excite goes bankrupt, 2001
    http://slashdot.org/articles/01/09/29/1310231.shtml

Excite's site, TM, and some other assets acquired by iWon for a relative song--$10 million
    http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2158291

History repeats, because today's companies don't think yesterday's lessons pertain to them!

Not that I'll go and email Google any warnings to sell now. Let 'em keep it. Just 1 day longer than it takes for the next Greatest Fool to leave the market.

hmm.. i am not suprise Google buying Youtube...hehe..is just another investment like they buy over Blogger..

well..they wan to monopoly the web you see?..hehe

I think Google want to merge with Google Viedo.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Even if youtube tanks after google buys it (which i doubt), it will not cause G to tank with it.

G is sitting on too much cash and they need something to support their growth + keep walstreet happy.

That is some absurd amount of $. Per Leader, DotCom Bust 2.0 is currently in production
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Mmm-hmm...

*Checks this out*

Seems Excite itself became very UNexciting shortly thereafter:

Excite buys Blue Mountain for $780 Million, 1999
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-231860.html

Excite goes bankrupt, 2001
    http://slashdot.org/articles/01/09/29/1310231.shtml

Excite's site, TM, and some other assets acquired by iWon for a relative song--$10 million
    http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2158291

History repeats, because today's companies don't think yesterday's lessons pertain to them!

Not that I'll go and email Google any warnings to sell now. Let 'em keep it. Just 1 day longer than it takes for the next Greatest Fool to leave the market.

Well i hope they dont put the videos on a server like what googles videos are on as those videos are crap.

I would hate for google to take it over as they would destory it LOL.. i think they want to rule the world and are the antichrist lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast