Question What is Search Engine Optimization?
    What is a Search Engine? How can you optimize it?

ABW Ambassador
    When people talk about SEO - search engine optimization, they're talking about optimizing your own site for the search engines.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Tyler there is endless literature online and off about SEO. Some simple searches will return endless sources on the topic. It's also the best way to learn. Tahe it from me, I just started learning about it myself a couple months back.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador

What is Search Engine Optimization?
    A step into the unknown that pays off better than many other steps... if you learn how to make the foot land on solid ground.

Geno

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The short explanation: If you want to rank #1 in Google for Elmo Toy, then every word on your page will be Elmo Toy

Yes, you'll be search engine optimized and be #1, but there will be nothing for your customers to look at (or buy)

So you make a page that looks great for your human customers, and you only mention Elmo Toy once - as the name of the product.

Your customers would love the page and buy lots of Elmos - but they'll never find your page because you only mentioned it once, and the search engines will assume Elmo Toy is NOT relevant to the page.

SEO is finding the happy middle ground in creating a page that customers will enjoy viewing - and search engines find relevant

But both search engines and customers are fickle - so you spend a lot of time adapting and changing

Quote Originally Posted by TylerB
    What is a Search Engine? How can you optimize it?
    There are ways that huge search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc use when trying to search your site. They crawl each page (called spidering), and see what the theme is related to. If the theme is related to what people are looking for, AND match the keywords that people are using to search, you should show up higher in the rankings, and not on like the 300,000th page.

Yes, you must have content that makes sense and content that the visitor really enjoys reading about.

You must also have very strong links backlinking to your own site. The better and high ranking the sites that link to yours, the faster the SE's will find your site.

Hope this is a start for you.

Good luck,

MJ

The two things that I read at the beginning that helped me the most were Bret Tabke's 26 steps (Web master world) and Arron Wall's Seo Book. The 26 steps is a bit dated but overall it is mostly still true. Wall's book is a great place to start if you know nothing about SEO.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    When people talk about SEO - search engine optimization, they're talking about optimizing your own site for the search engines.
    Ya I never liked that term SEO. But that is what everyone else uses. I have never worked directly on a search engine or directory. I work on websites.

I think it is more like "html parameters optimization" or something but that is boring.

"Search Engine Ranking Optimization"?

What term is it really to you?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerB
    What is a Search Engine?
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...=Search+Engine

SEO, trustno1 explained earlier.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Simple test recommended by the Google humans backing up their easily fooled BOT's choices. Use your browser> edit tool pulldown ...then "select All" function. Paste the results into notepad. Read it and see if your page has any relevant content to the shoppers keyword search.

Some sites like Boscov's will rightfully never rank on their interior pages for any keyword term shoppers are looking for....
    sample using above quick test for a very expensive diamond engagement ring...

2.0 caret solitaire Diamond ring
    Round solitaire diamond ring, 14CT.
    Item # 31498
    Price: $14,999.00
    Now! $4,999.97

Doing a search on Google for ... 2.0 caret solitaire Diamond ring ... will never have Boscov's page show up. Solution is to SEO page with real consumer information on that diamond ring or waste Adwords money and site navigation traffic. Current solution is to get affiliates actually having engagement ring content to rank and throw hard earned traffic at Boscov's page. Boscov hopes they'll buy something else as no one should or could justify purchasing that ring based upon landing page content.

Google and affiliates rightfully should judge their pages and merchant landing pages based upon customer facing content. Real SEO efforts try and negate advertising white noise and put real or perceived value at the end of every click.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Hi TylerB,

I've been doing SEO for more than 10 years now. It's evolved tremendously over the years. There are two different kinds of SEO, "Black Hat" and "White Hat".

Black hat: It all about gaming the system. People find loopholes in the search engine's algorithms and exploit that. Eventually the loophole is closed and the perpetrators are "punished" - the offending websites typically being removed from the search engines or buried in "the sand box".

White hat: Essentially a lot of what people have said here already - providing unique knowledge and quality content to visitors. When you do that, you will rise to the top.

I've written a few articles on SEO basics in my blog. Checkem' out if you have a chance. It should give you a good understanding of the basics.

~Bob

ABW Ambassador

SEO is finding the happy middle ground in creating a page that customers will enjoy viewing - and search engines find relevant
    I think that's a great description Billy!

Another way to check how your site looks to a search engine (a la Mike's technique) is to check out the Lynx browser.

It is a text only web browser, so you'll see your site how a SE sees it, no images etc...

http://lynx.browser.org/

There is a mac and linux version floating around out there somewhere too if you search for it.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread