Question About 302's & 301's
    I've done some research, and think I'm correct that affiliate links will track when using a 302 or 301 redirect to the merchant's site. Has anyone had experience with this, and do the major networks track properly?

Next, are 302's now considered to be "sneaky redirects" like java redirects in Matt Cutts' world?

Lastly, is there a preferred syntax for doing this in the .htaccess file?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bump.
    Anyone have any input on this? Thanks

http and a telephoto
    301's are the "good" redirects... they look like

Redirect 301 link-to-be-redirected http://where-to-direct-link-to.com

There are more sophisticated uses, but that is what a basic link looks like. There are discussions about redirects if do a search here. Lots of them....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

302's and 301's are used to tell the search engines that the links need to be updated and are generally used to avoid a 404 error for someone trying to access a page on your sever. 302's are temp and 301's are permanent.

Will they track probably, but the end result is your telling the search engine to not visit your site, but to go directly to the link...end result you'll likely loose the indexing you would have had otherwise.

I think your looking for a different solution that would redirect the links within your site, so maybe if you post what your trying to do someone might have input on the best way to do it.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have an old site that has a bunch of old pages that I haven't visited for at least two or three years. Many of these have javascript redirects, for instance, using affiliate links to merchants. Its stuff like this, I believe, that's holding the site down in the serps.

I want to clean things up, ie. make it completely white hat, since it still has really good bones, and I have some plans for it that won't include gambling, pills, etc. I'm persuaded that 302's are not the solution, but am open to any other approach that will preserve non-gambling and pill pages for ongoing indexing. To revisit all those pages individually and update the affiliate links would be a nightmare. So, I'm willing to 301 them if that's what makes sense, assuming the affiliate links will track, unless there's another solution.

Hi, both redirects track properly. In the aff. world, 302 is the way to go, since they are less probable to pass pagerank.

Hmm... That's interesting because I seem to recall reading that Matt Cutts has said specifically that 302's are considered sneaky redirects especially when used in the aff. world.

Using 302's certainly would be a simple way for me to go if there's no downside. Any other views?

302's were used for pages hijacking, but that was actually a problem on Google's part and it's more or less fixed now. I consider them the way to go.
    Technically there is nothing sneaky on the 302 redirects.

I do recall that 302's were a culprit in page hijackings. However, I think the ongoing negative comments allude to 302's being a spammy technique to cloak thousands of scraper generated, spammy, gibberish loaded doorway pages. Thus, a bunch of 302's on a site are characterized as sneaky in the same way as javascript redirects.

On the other hand, I've also seen statements that 302's are viewed the same as 301's these days by Google.

I'd love to get some difinitive clarification on this, and would love to be able use 302s safely as I said before.

I think i missed something basic here, your talking links and using 301 and 302....these are for pages not individual links. Lets say you have a link that goes to a db where it then finds the content and you wish to have the updated content then link to a new page minus the pills playing percentages. You could then redirect from the data base level to the newer content, but that would not need a 301 or 302..it's just updating your db ....i think

If you were to use 301 or 302 redirects the spider would never even see the page as you have told it with the redirect to go somewhere else either permanently or temporarily, by editing the htacess file within the correct folder (folder specific here) on your server.

more detail might help are you redirecting pages or links within a db? Share what you can and maybe someone might be able to wrap their brain around it.

if you like pm me the site and what your trying to do exactly, if it sounds like i'm even close, but there are many other members that have a much greater understanding of db's and redirection such as you have in place.

I don't know what to say on the 302's and hijacks and i have yet to hear google sees 302 as permanent.

Mrbshouse, are you saying that affiliate links will not track with 302's and 301's, contrary to an earlier post? By the way, there is no database involved. The site is an old straight HTML dinosaur.

I know for a fact that javascript redirects with affiliate links to the merchant do track and do work.

Again, if anyone has any further insights on this, it would be most appreciated.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

I think Donuts has your answer! As for tracking, I don't really know, try it and find out!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

it seems that i don't fully understanding what your trying to do here, but I never said they would not track, simply that 301's and 2's are for pages not links.

So if you have links leading to pages you can use 301/2's to redirect the whole page to the merchant, but i don't know how to do that for a single link on a page. These edits would be done in the htacess for the specific folder containing the page your redirecting (one page = one redirect).

If there is a way to redirect a specific link on a page using 301/2's i'm all ears ;-)

Thanks for the Matt Cutts 302 blog. I hadn't seen it before. Very helpful and provides comfort in using 302's. As for tracking affiliate urls, if anyone has tried it, kindly post your experience. In the meantime, I have a way of testing it if no other answer is forthcoming.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They will work, but it's not their intended purpose. It's like using a lamp shade to flip pancakes - it can be done, but why?

Some error trapping and quality control / referrer monitoring systems will also flag your referring urls because of the 302 response code (or 301's if you use those).

Use php instead (or your selected programming language of choice) - you can do all sorts of cool programming and not get flagged anywhere.

Here's a quick page that describes a simple php redirect:
    http://www.totallyphp.co.uk/code/page_redirect.htm

So make your page (with the link on it) go to a page containing the code you see there. That page (commonly named go.php or jump.php) won't be viewed by the visitor because it'll redirect too quickly (and load the page you intend to send them to). Use php to dynamically query your database and pull in parameters / urls to load into the 'header location' part of the php code. This will allow you to pull links from a database by sku for instance.

Since the redirect is done server side, you should (and can easily) add ?afsrc=1 (or &afsrc=1 if there are other url data pairs in the url string) to alert a few systems that you're redirecting to an affiliate link (in hopes they stand down and don't steal from other affiliates, just merchants).

Good luck!

Personally I prefer Levi's 501s.

Thanks Donut. I'm trying it. I've never used php before, but experimenting, my old pages are now redirecting properly to the merchant's site using the affiliate link as the new url on the jump.php page. Lets see if I get some sales. I really like the idea that visitors and theiving parasites cannot see the affiliate link. I also understand that its gets around affiliate links being blocked by Norton.

Again, thanks for forcing me to increase my knowledge.

OK. It has to be tracking because I can see clicks coming through on CJ.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread