Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question What would you be doing if computers were never invented?
    I don't know if this was ever asked, but today I was thinking about what I would be doing if I was not working online.

I would be a child psychologist. I completed my master's degree, but once I had kids, I had enough child problems to keep me busy, ha ha! So back when computers were big and clunky, and there was no such thing as the internet, that was my path.

So here is my question... If there were no computers in the past or future, what would you be doing with your life?

http and a telephoto
    I would be a photographer. Maybe a real estate agent, I was headed down that path actually... or a public speaker or a writer..... I headed down those paths also...

I have had a computer since I was 19, or had access to them, and went to college to be a programmer, so I really have no clue what I would be without a computer...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Immediately prior to online stuff, i owned a newspaper that never actually published - but made a lot of money charging brands like Cap'n Crunch or Aunt Jemima for advertising space

before that, i was a con artist

before that, I was a slip and fall person. I'm still not allowed in any McDonalds in California

pretty sure I'd be rotting away in prison - or dead - if it weren't for the computer

Chopping Wood (hegh hegh)

No, I''d be in or sales, marketing or advertising of some type or another.

Or maybe installing pool tables in peoples homes...hmmm, Yeah that's it!
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Selling stuff of some type or another, via brick 'n mortar means--as a merchant, not an empl*yed sales person.

With or without the computer, my patience for "real" jobs would still have ended at the same time it did.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Beach bum...

Lightbulb
    thinking back to some of the first uses for computers, electronic OR mechanical, I sometimes wonder what language I would be speaking now as a major war's results could have depended on our success in cryptography.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd be in shipping & receiving at Hormel Foods Corporation waiting for the day my job could be done via ONE's and ZERO's.

What would you be doing if computers were never invented?
    Unless I would have being dead by now because I was accidentally electrocuted by more than 30kv againg , I probably would still be working on my inhibited real passion about:

Electronics, microelectronics, electromagnetics, magnetics, magnetohydrodynamics, magnetic resonance, etc.

But, since the stupid computer was invented , and then came the internet too , I haven't had enough time available to keep on taking things apart to see how they work, and then put them back togetter again.

Before the computers were invented:

All I need it was a set of screwdrivers, a voltmeter, a pair of pliers and a soldering kit.

The main parasites that I had to deal with, was the parasitic inductance and parasitic oscilation, even tho that in electronics we aslo have to deal with over a dozen types of parasites (parasitics) too. And the only leaks that worried me more, was the leaky electrolytic capacitors.

Why did you have to bring this subject up?

Do you thing that now that I just took a trip down memory lane, that I am going to be able to work on any datafeed today?

It's too bad that I don't remember where I parked the time machine.

Sal.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I would still be building successful businesses using the same creative methods I utilized before the internet. OR I know!!!

I'd be be a professional dance competitor on Dancing With The Stars!! (just not Louie or Tony)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    On a slightly serious note... if computers in general (not just home computers) had never been invented, I wouldn't have been a parent as long....
    Deborah Carney

Internet Cowboy
    I would have gone to Law School.....YUCK!!!!! Thank goodness for the web, it saved me from having to have a J*B!

Probably on the 6th floor of the local hospitals insanity ward. Its what keeps me going on my darkest days. The puter is like that Calgon bath to me... COMPUTER TAKE ME AWAY

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'd have put more time into my music biz career and made my agent happy by actually agreeing to go on auditions as an actress. UGH - I love the music end, just not the acting auditions. Acting is always fun but I don't DO auditions ... LOL - Like I have a choice?! I also would have probably had my novel published by now and been working on the next ... geeze - I let that one slip by ...

I have no time to pursue those free lance gigs now - I'm too busy maintaining the monster I created on the computer.

I can't even remember life before this machine ... heluva question Anne!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I couldn't imagine life without computers. I started programming when I was 10, went to college for computers and rely on them as my livlihood. My first job was doing programming work and I've got no experience with anything else. I really can't fathom what I'd be doing without computers..

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I would be looking out a window in Bellvue instead of looking at this 19 inch monitor all the time.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager
    Neat thread! wow, how could you have imagined such an um-imaginable scenario!

Lets see,
    I think I'd be selling gifts on the TV, using interactive tele-commerce technology that all televisions - connected to a world wide network of televisions called world wide tvnet via the cable! - come equipped with in a world with no computers
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I'd probably be a business owner of some sort never did do well working for others. Or a professional dog trainer specializing in protection and guard dogs.

If it there were no computers I'd be drafting house plans with and eraser. The floor of my office (and the rest of the house) covered with erasure dust, just like it used to be before ACAD 9.0 came out. I used to be the top draftsmen/graphic artist in our area. Now I can't draw a straight line and with bi-focals I couldn't see the entire page.
    ~Ernie

Actually - I'd be smiling and enjoying my s and manual entries. I never had down time with my (unless I was off fishing) and I personally knew everyone with whom I did business. Of course I used to enjoy full service gas stations too!! LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    I can't hold a for very long any more, severe tendonitis at one point and now I need to type instead. I can't write for short periods of time, but not very long... so again, I love my computer

Oh, and without my computer I'd be on the phone EVEN MORE than I am now.... scary thought... although the phone company used to love me....
    Deborah Carney

To tell you the honest truth, I'd probably be doing something better with my life (or more meaningful) - maybe traveling and exploring what's out there, instead of sittin' on my arse. I'd also be far healthier..

I would have owned several book stores, perhaps even a chain of them by now.

I'd be sitting here wondering "What do this mouse and keyboard connect to?"

Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Hey - I guess I'd be wondering how this thread got here and how to respond to it????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast