Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The FDA Should List ABW As Potentially Addictive
    It's the weekend gang. It's a gorgeous day here today - sunny and temps in the low seventies. I'm about to start some chores around the ranch that I've been putting off the past couple weeks.

While I've been relaxing and reading posts here, I had a sincere thought come to mind... so I want to share it with my buds here and then it's off to my chores...

When we joined ABW, I figured that I would occasionally drop in to see what's up and perhaps even lend a little advice where I could - if the topic was of any real interest. I really did not know what to expect because I had never visited the forum and really knew nothing about what it was or why it would be a good place to be. I'd seen lots of so called forums - and of course they always turned out to be centers for name calling and temper tantrums, so I avoided them at all costs!!

My sons Zach and Jeremy (who are busy running the day to day tech side of the business) are actually the ones who pointed me to ABW - so I thought I'd give it a look.

I spent the first few weeks reading posts and getting to know where people were coming from, how they were interacting with each other and how my company might be a benefit to the community and in turn better our own businesses. I did not want to join if it was nothing more than a place where people meet to spew anger and other negatives that serve no constructive purpose...

Not being a techy type, at first I felt a bit overwhelmed by the knowledge being shared / offered by folks like ARod, Donuts, Deb, Scooter, Leader, MoneyB, Trust, Carolyn, Rex, and soooo many others here. Honestly I was a bit blown away gang.... Though I have a deep background in business, marketing, advertising, networking, etc etc, this was all new, and I was feeling like Forest Gump!!

But I've always believed that what I don't know I can learn, so I kept reading, asking good and dumb questions, posting in the wrong forums, and contributing wherever I could to hopefully benefit others.

Eventually I started posting opinions and sharing knowledge where I knew I had something to offer and - without consciously thinking about it, I began visiting the forums more and more. As I'd visit, I'd scroll through posts looking for topics that could possibly further my education, or where I could possibly offer some experienced input. That led to countless hours of added reading to view comments, and research links and other sources provided by fellow members and again, without realizing it - I was increasing my time on the boards!

Then came the ARod affiliate manager class in Chicago. I viewed it as an opportunity on several levels. An opportunity to learn, an opportunity to meet people / comrades in arms in the industry, and an opportunity for people to get to know my company. I wondered if a guy with a head bandana, shades, and a huge earring could actually teach me anything other than how to kick start a Harley (lol) but avatars never frightened me, so I thought what the hay!!

I love networking with others, and although I'm not a huge fan of business trips anymore (after 25 years of being on the road 80 - 100 days a year - it got old) I looked at the class as an excellent opportunity to learn, to actually meet people personally, and in the offing for others to hopefully learn that not all online Rx'ers should be painted with the same brush. So off I went...

I met some great folks there - and laid the foundation for future relationships. But most of all, I got to see the faces behind the Avatars and shake the hands of real people!! Loved it. I expected Donuts to look like Popeye, so I was relieved when I finally met the person behind the avatar!! lol

In the days that followed operation "Shock and Awe" in Chicago, again without thinking about it - I found myself being drawn in even more by my need for more frequent ABW injections.

As the days went on, I found myself visiting more often, understanding more of what was going on, learning something every day, and interacting on a regular basis. The harsh reality then sank in...... I was hooked, and despite the dangers of this addiction - I was liking it.

Today, as I head off to do my manly - mountain cowboy guy chores, I couldn't help but pass along how much I enjoy my ABW injections and the mind expanding benefits I am deriving from the high this place can give me. Haiko and team have a good thing going here - but I just wonder if maybe there should be a warning header when you get ready to login that reads:

"Caution - Continued Participation In This Forum May Lead To Expanded Knowledge & Mutual Gain To Participants"

If anyone else cares to post their thoughts on how they felt when they first entered this therapy group - it'd be interesting reading that I'm sure other members would enjoy. Well, gotta saddle er up and head out!!!

My Thanks To All Of You!!
    Last edited by Leader; October 7th, 2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Removed "B" tags from showing in title
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    I was almost banned.... I came on board and within a few weeks found an established member using copywrited material on one of her sites... that included MY PHOTOS... I was livid.... I pm'd her... she said she didn't know the material was protected, she pulled it... we became friends....

I challenged other long time members, after all I was older than most... these youngsters hanging out at a forum, what could they teach me? LOTS!!!! When I first came here it was because in addition to being an affiliate, I was trying to be a merchant, market my photography online. My debate... use CafePress or make my own cart? I thought I knew a lot about selling online... I have been a "salesperson" for most of my life... I decided to let CafePress handle the selling... but the urge to have my own affiliate program was always there....

I listed my mentors in my 5000th post, I won't repeat it.... lol

But, yes, the knowledge and the people grow on you... you know why? Because we all do what other people in the universe don't understand... and WE understand each other....

Parasites, WebMerge, datafeeds, redirects, Norton blocking, 5 bars, all foriegn concepts when I first started... and who sent me here? David Cusimano... I used his Amazon and GoCollect scripts, still do (GoCollect getting trashed in a couple weeks), his support forum was here... I came and registered waaaaay before I came and stayed.... when ever it says I started (not the jan 2005 that we old timers all have), I really started probably a year before my first post ... I read and read and was terrified to post... and really life was so hectic back then I didn't have time, I wasn't a serious affiliate yet. I was a busy, busy single mom....

I won't go into details (thank goodness right?) but 9/11 changed my life path and led me to where I am today... and thank heaven I found ABW and we were a "good fit". I'm glad I stuck around... and that they were tolerant when I was "in a hurry and wanted it all now..."
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Allen...man I feel your pain. Even when I'm not posting, I indeed find myself checking out ABW for news, marketing topics, and even the occasional joke to forward endlessly to friends, family, and colleagues.

I too am surprised at the addictiveness of ABW. It's like crack for affiliate peoples.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Yooos rite Matt. Hence my suggestion that a warning be posted in the header.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

What do you mean "potentially" ??????

There is always something new to learn here, always something to send me off full of ideas and plans ... and always the slavedriver to keep me working at all hours ... my internal one as well as the Las Vegas Showgirl

Sue.

http and a telephoto
    Someone went away for the weekend... left computer at home... calls me and says "Have I missed anything?" Yeah, it's addictive...
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    The FDA Should List ABW As Potentially Addictive

See this.

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Well said, Alan. :-)

I consider ABW part of my work day ... yeah, it can become a bigger part than expected but I liken ABW to the water cooler ... a gathering place for lonely, at home affiliates and merchants who need the interaction of people but can't get out of the chair for any length of time to socialize.

And then meeting ABWers in the flesh ... wow - what a rush. We are definitely "real" people and all of such like-character and experience that there is an immediate bond, beyond the postings and reading of invaluable knowledge in the threads. I think we are all social creatures and meeting in person is one of the only times we drag ourselves away from the machines because we consider it time well spent and can justify walking away from our sites because we know everyone else is doing it, too. LOL

The Internet is addictive enough ... ABW is an example of what makes the Internet so awesome. We learn, become enlightened and grow ... and along the way we connect with like-minded people who understand us and whom we feel a kinship with that's pretty profound. I'll repeat what I posted in Loxly's 5000 post thread:

Those who embrace the ABW culture and hang tough through the learning curve of interaction with this group are very lucky and a huge step ahead.

Another thought: While we are mostly all competitors, we are also friends. There's an "aura" of camaraderie here that is unparalleled ... some people fit in, others run screaming for the safety of less strong personalities and in-your-face revelations but those who share and interact have realized a great truth: "giving is as good as getting and will get you farther."
    I, for one, am happy you joined us, Alan. You "fit right in."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thank you Rex. Your kind words are deeply appreciated and I send the very same sentiments your way. :-) If you had pursued music or acting, your presence here would likely never have been known or felt by others - so I am selfishly happy that you and others like you are here too!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; October 8th, 2006 at 10:48 PM. Reason: typo

You know its bad when you have a window open for new post and one open for chat
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    You know its bad when you have a window open for new post and one open for chat
    That's not normal? I thought it was.... lololol
    Deborah Carney

You are a pleasure mom!!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Does anyone have a 12 step withdrawl program??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

http and a telephoto
    Alan, you managed to distract me for yet another evening... I went hunting for my first post, and I am sure the one they *say* is my first post is not, I know I have been on ABW longer than that.... lol.... and would bet my first post wasn't about phpnuke It had to be a support question in Cusimano's forum... but I digress....

I looked up some other folks' first posts.... and found some fun threads from the past.... I am not newly vocal... have always been!!!!! Some things never change... it appears another forum member and I have been "sparring" for more years than one of us wants to remember.

Anyway, thanks for distracting me with yet another trip down memory lane.... and Haiko, how great that we have this venue to archive our memories!!!!!! Once again... many, many thanks to you sir.....
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Oh, and because of signature changes through the years... some comments made in old posts make little to no sense at all... lol... assume on my older posts that my sig used to have my CafePress stores in my sig....
    Deborah Carney

Oops!!! Sorry.. NOT

Well - going down to Denver tomorrow to spend some time with our youngest son Nathan - so time for the ol cowboy to hit the hay!! GN ABW!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; October 9th, 2006 at 12:45 AM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Does anyone have a 12 step withdrawl program??

lol - it's too late for an FDA warning (black box or not). I need a damned ABW Anonymous around here..

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread