Angry CJ datafeed Limitations Insulting
    Sorry but im going to have a rant and rave about this. It annoys me

I decided i would go ahead and pay the $200 for access to the datafeeds. I phoned CJ and asked if i pay the $200 will i have access to all the datafeeds they said yes

1. First the fact that I have to PAY them anything is insulting, im helping them not the other way around.

2.They then say, 3 - Due to the size of data feeds, we ask that you limit your product feed to five (5) advertisers. You may request additional advertisers be added once you start generating revenue using your data feeds. Please let us know which 5 advertisers that offer product catalogs you would like included in your data feed?

OK CJ, you morons.. let me start by telling you that You do not dictate how many feeds i get after i have handed over $200 to you. Second you then do not dictate if I get anymore based on whether i make money from promoting those first 5, there are a lot of factors that come into play as to wether money will be made from them and its not all on the affiliate.

I told them im filing a formal complaint I would tolerate this crap, They need to know we are coming to them to HELP their business not the other way around.. a holes!

Yes I know there is other places that give free datafeeds, but I want the CJ ones and have full access to them.

Sorry, im sure others may disagree and well thats fine.. my beef isnt with anyone here its with CJ and I have told them this all in a email and will be on the phone monday morning... and God help whoever picks that phone up as they better have ear muffs on as im going to give them one hell of an earful.

CJ datafeed Limitations Insulting

Sorry but im going to have a rant and rave about this. It annoys me

Welcome to my club!
    I decided i would go ahead and pay the $200 for access to the datafeeds. I phoned CJ and asked if i pay the $200 will i have access to all the datafeeds they said yes
    Sorry !

1. First the fact that I have to PAY them anything is insulting, im helping them not the other way around.
    100%

2.They then say, 3 - Due to the size of data feeds, we ask that you limit your product feed to five (5) advertisers. You may request additional advertisers be added once you start generating revenue using your data feeds. Please let us know which 5 advertisers that offer product catalogs you would like included in your data feed?
    Again, sorry !

OK CJ, you morons.. let me start by telling you that You do not dictate how many feeds i get after i have handed over $200 to you. Second you then do not dictate if I get anymore based on whether i make money from promoting those first 5, there are a lot of factors that come into play as to wether money will be made from them and its not all on the affiliate.
    Again , but this time 1000%

Yes I know there is other places that give free datafeeds, but I want the CJ ones and have full access to them.
    Look, I can't wait to have free access to a couple of merchants datafeed from CJ because (not anyone elses business)

I am sorry again for you, but this time I will let you in on my little secret.

After I knew about the "we ask that you limit your product feed to five (5) advertisers" and the "You may request additional advertisers be added once you start generating revenue using your data feeds" and after I saw a sample of that "first five (5) advertisers" datafeed, there is noway in hell that I would ever pay $200 for that .

So I decided to try the SAS merchants FREE datafeeds, and while I would admit that on SAS you will get some merchants datafeeds that sucks big time, at least on SAS you can talk to many of those merchants on SAS and most of them are willing to at least hear what you have to say about their datafeed, try that on CJ.

Sorry, im sure others may disagree and well thats fine.. my beef isnt with anyone here its with CJ and I have told them this all in a email and will be on the phone monday morning... and God help whoever picks that phone up as they better have ear muffs on as im going to give them one hell of an earful.
    First, I don't give a if others disagree with you on this one or not, because I am with you 100% on your about the $200, maybe not necessarily because of the $200, but because the all the that you still have to go thru, even if you pay the $200 extortion.

Sal.

The 5 feed limit is for your benefit. Get started getting the pages up for those feeds, then request more merchant feeds.

I've got 12 feeds in my list, but I started with 5. Once I got things situated with those 5, I started adding more. If I had signed up for the 12 I'm using right now all at the same time, I probably would still be working on getting pages up for those merchants.

And yes, I agree, the $200 or $10000 in sales limit is complete bulls#!t, but once you start getting the feeds and making $$$ from those pages, you move on to other problems.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

ABW Ambassador
    Can't you now get unlimited access to the datafeeds using the Webservices program? There is no $200 fee either as far as I know? Well I have not had time to look into the Webservices although I have registered and will use it once it develops & matures a bit. I thought it gave you access to all the datafeeds from the little time I spent reading about it?

I can see where you can get angry over this but I also understand where CJ are coming from because if they had every man, women & their dog accessing the feeds then it would be a huge overload on their server. If you pay the $200 then you should be ready and know which merchants you want to start with and go hard and be successful with those 5 you have and then you can use more. Why would you want more than 5 to start anyway?

I don't even have access to the datafeeds, apparently I have to be making 10k a month and I'm not there yet. I even asked them for access to the feeds but they refused and I think that is their loss as I would have made many more sales if I did and there is absolutely no way I would ever pay a network that is meant to be paying me. I agree that there should be a fee but I also think they should give access to affiliates who have reached 4 bars or more. They are definitely missing out as are merchants if 4 bar + affiliates do not get access.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I wish they would charge a per-feed access fee for everybody, regardless of sales volume.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by shopolic
    God help whoever picks that phone up as they better have ear muffs on as im going to give them one hell of an earful.

Just my 2 cents but it won't help you to take it out on the call center person. They are just average Joe's paid to take the phone calls. They have no real power at all. I've worked in those places and if a customer starts acting up they have a tendency to do nothing for you but make you think they will. I know that if a customer tore me a new one, as nice as I would be (had to be that's what I was paid for).. I wouldn't lift a finger for that customer.

However if a customer kept his calm, and treated me with respect then I would do all within my power...which unfortunately was never much.

Just an FYI. It's up to you how you want to play this.

Quote Originally Posted by Voxman
    Just my 2 cents but it won't help you to take it out on the call center person. They are just average Joe's paid to take the phone calls. They have no real power at all. I've worked in those places and if a customer starts acting up they have a tendency to do nothing for you but make you think they will. I know that if a customer tore me a new one, as nice as I would be (had to be that's what I was paid for).. I wouldn't lift a finger for that customer.

However if a customer kept his calm, and treated me with respect then I would do all within my power...which unfortunately was never much.

Just an FYI. It's up to you how you want to play this.
    Hi Vox well i agree I too have worked in call centers and im with you on that. Today i have calmed down and stepped back from it. Im not going to bother calling monday as I realize noone will do squat. They just have some really odd management making these calls for them who need their jobs reavalueated

I tried to explain this to my wife last night. I said Imagine this.

Imagine I approached a company OFFLINE, monday and said to them

" Hey, I heard you had some great products and lots of them, I will do you a deal, I will go out and Advertise your products to people that I think would like them, I will spend my hard earned money, and spend my entire week, advertising for your FOR FREE.. YEP you dont have to pay me ONE CENT, intill I bring you a customer and then You only have to pay me a small portion "

THey probably would be like " So your telling us, You will go and work hard advertising for us for FREE, we dont pay you ANYTHING no matter what you spend or how much time you put in, and then we only pay you a small portion, that we decide how much is, once you give us a customer "

Well anyone who has taken Business or not taken business studies.. would go HELL YEAH thats an awesome deal.... GO TO IT.

OK... before we go further, WHO IS HELPING WHO at this point?

Yep, me who has gone to them, to offer to help them get more sales.

Ok step 2..

I say to them ok.. Now people are going to want to see your products, Can I get access to all your products, so I can show them..

They say.. SURE.. OH but one sec let me ask our management.. OK sorry i spoke with management and they said.. We can only give you access to all our products, once you pay us $200.. then after that we will decide if you can show customers all of them.

Ok slowly you can start to see, who is shooting themselves in a foot..

I think what needs to be clear to affiliate merchants is that the AFFILIATE is trying to help them LONG BEFORE they ever pay them 1 cent, and that should at least command a certain amount of respect.

I would literally BEND OVER BACKWARDS, to help people who came to me and offered for FREE to promote a product of mine, and I only paid them once they made a sale for me.

Why is it affiliate managers or management of these companies dont realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    The 5 feed limit is for your benefit. Get started getting the pages up for those feeds, then request more merchant feeds.

I've got 12 feeds in my list, but I started with 5. Once I got things situated with those 5, I started adding more. If I had signed up for the 12 I'm using right now all at the same time, I probably would still be working on getting pages up for those merchants.

And yes, I agree, the $200 or $10000 in sales limit is complete bulls#!t, but once you start getting the feeds and making $$$ from those pages, you move on to other problems.

Scott have to disagree just on the benefit part, reason is if I have a SHopping Mall SIte, I will have a lot of categories/industries on there, I dont want to be limited to 5. If I have paid $200 to get access, give me access period, let the affiliate decide which ones they are going to use and when they are going to use them, and certainly do not tell them they cant have access to more datafeeds which they have paid for, without them first making money with the ones they have, as there are alot of factors as to why some programs dont convert, i.e the site is crap, the products are crap, people dont trust the site, the affiliate program is full of parasites.. the list goes on.. basing it just on if you as the affiliate make money is basically saying.. Put $200 in your bank account, and we will determine how much of it you can use to get things wtih.

Anyway im not going to get anywhere with it.. just needed to rant and now i will work with shareasale and their datafeeds and then just approach affiliate programs on cj and go behind cjs back and get the datafeeds by asking the merchant directly..

I decided i would go ahead and pay [CJ] the $200 for access to the datafeeds. I phoned CJ and asked if i pay the $200 will i have access to all the datafeeds they said yes
    When I asked about CJ datafeeds last year, they told me that if I paid the fee, they would allow access to only five datafeeds. However, that limit is apparently not documented anywhere, and given that you were given incorrect information, I would hope that CJ would make an accommodation, either by allowing you access to more datafeeds or by refunding the "fee."

Note that a number of CJ merchants will provide access to datafeeds "outside CJ" -- when I emailed merchants, pointing out the $200 fee for affiliates to access 5 datafeeds, at least a dozen offered another option, either with a direct datafeed or with a datafeed through another partner (such as a direct program, or ShareASale).

As I've noted in other discussion threads, CJ's bizarre actions have recently led me to "just say no," and I've pulled the plug on all but five relationships, and will shut those down also as soon as I have time to update the one site that still uses those links.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [left
    shopolic[/left]]
    Imagine I approached a company OFFLINE,
    monday
    and said to them

" Hey, I heard you had some great products and lots of them, I will do you a deal, I will go out and Advertise your products to people that I think would like them, I will spend my hard earned money, and spend my entire week, advertising for your FOR FREE.. YEP you
    dont
    have to pay me ONE CENT,
    intill
    I bring you a customer and then You only have to pay me a small portion "

THey
    probably would be like " So your telling us, You will go and work hard advertising for us for FREE, we
    dont
    pay you ANYTHING no matter what you spend or how much time you put in, and then we only pay you a small portion, that we decide how much is, once you give us a customer "

Well anyone who has taken Business or not taken business studies.. would go HELL YEAH
    thats
    an awesome deal.... GO TO IT.

OK... before we go further, WHO IS HELPING WHO at this point?

Yep, me who has gone to them, to offer to help them get more sales.

Ok
    step 2..

I say to them
    ok
    .. Now people are going to want to see your products, Can I get access to all your products, so I can show them..

They say.. SURE.. OH but one sec let me ask our management.. OK sorry i spoke with management and they said.. We can only give you access to all our products, once you pay us $200.. then after that we will decide if you can show customers all of them.

Ok
    slowly you can start to see, who is shooting themselves in a foot..

I think what needs to be clear to affiliate merchants is that the AFFILIATE is trying to help them LONG BEFORE they ever pay them 1 cent, and that should at least command a certain amount of respect.

I would literally BEND OVER BACKWARDS, to help people who came to me and offered for FREE to promote a product of mine, and I only paid them once they made a sale for me.

Why is it affiliate managers or management of these companies
    dont
    realize it.

I think the reason "some" management feels the need to squash their salespeople is because they think that most of them are inept and not likely to actually help them succeed. It's a limiting and exclusive mindset that could be understandable if it was better thought out but in our industry, it's painfully lacking.

I, for one, wouldn't consider paying for tools to sell for someone else. I'd start my own company and become a merchant myself if I had to invest in a company to help them make money. They see it as helping US make money and don't see beyond their arrogance. It reeks of MLM BS.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

There a lot of people who work their way up to a level of incompetence by just getting degrees and playing the part of 'smart' well enough to keep a job.

In actualy case point, I deal with many VP's from various companies in the course of my work online and I can tell you first hand, there are many that wear their ties too tight. You can tell because they are cutting of oxygen to the brain.

There is a measure of payback. Those who stop doing what made them sucessful will no longer be sucessful. That is a golden business rule and CJ wouldn't be the first company to fall victim of that truth.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    I wish they would charge a per-feed access fee for everybody, regardless of sales volume.
    Nothing personal, but that's a lousy idea. It'd only hurt the very merchants who need all the coverage they can get--and, cut off the chance for most affs to make money with those merchants.

It wouldn't be good for merchants, affiliates, or even CJ to charge per feed. Many merchants would experience a dropoff in affiliate signups, since feed-using affs often won't bother to apply for new merchants unless they intend to use the feed.

I don't mind the CJ limitations on datafeeds. It's good for those of us who use them because it limits our competition and keeps the feeds out of the hands of those who might abuse them. Plus it was a nice goal to reach 10k in sales. In a performance based business a goal like this can be fun to reach. If you want to take the other route and pay $200 that's very cheap for the value you're getting. Also, the 5 feed limit is nothing to worry about. You can request 5 feeds and spend the time it takes to get them up and you'll be ready for more. I've never had a problem with CJ telling me I can't have a feed. They just ask that you request 5 up front so you don't overwhelm them and yourself. Of course you can eventually have all you want.

Just imagine if there wasn't a fee and anybody could have any feed they wanted. CJ datafeed support would be overwhelmed and we'd have to wait days if not weeks to have a feed added. Plus the system might buckle under the load and we'd be propagating even more duplicate content across the net. Datafeeds can be dangerous in the wrong hands and it's important to have some sort of mechanism in place to control them.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It seems like CJ wants to see that before they grant access to data feeds, there is a fairly good chance that by granting access, the affiliate will really try to generate sales and is serious about it. Generating $10,000 in sales in a month is one indication of that and if an affiliate hasn't generated $10,000 in sales then to pony up $200 for access is another way they may judge how serious the affiliate is about generating sales. If everyone had access to unlimited data feeds that would be a massive load on CJ servers, they would have to provide a hell of a alot more support to people who may or may not actually do anything with the data feeds.

If you walked into a business and offered to sell their products strictly on commission and all at your own expense they may or may not take you up on the offer. They'd probably want to see that you had the skills and knowledge to sell their products before they take the time and effort to give you the promotional materials needed to get going. That is essentially what CJ is doing here, looking for some promise that data feeds will help someone with promise continue to grow or by requiring a $200 investment that they are indeed serious about their business. Maybe they could credit that $200 back once a certian level of incremental sales are genreated but it doesn't seem like the requirements to get feeds are excessive.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Thebeing hard on CJ is bogus lol. At SaS you can get every single freethere is with no problems. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Thebeing hard on CJ is bogus lol. At SaS you can get every single freethere is with no problems. Nuff said.
    But SAS requires that you get approved by each and every merchant before using their feeds. At least they have some sort of barrier in place. As a network it's really not a good idea to give all affiliates free reign on all of the datafeeds.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Interesting thread as the webservices launch may have generated an unintended consequence of increasing affiliates demand for CJ's datafeeds.

This issue will likely reoccur until a prominent disclaimer is in place, especially since webservices is free at this time.

Tuan

Quote Originally Posted by TLE
    Interesting thread as the webservices launch may have generated an unintended consequence of increasing affiliates demand for CJ's datafeeds.

This issue will likely reoccur until a prominent disclaimer is in place, especially since webservices is free at this time.

Tuan

Little confused here what is the difference between CJ webservices and having a regular CJ account?

What advantages are there?

What disadvantages are there?

Little confused here what is the difference between CJ webservices and having a regular CJ account?
    webservices is a CJ "Services", similar to the datafeeds and is available to all CJ publishers. webservices is currently free and has about 200 merchants with product data.

What advantages are there?
    CJ hosts the data
    Data is always current

What disadvantages are there?
    It was just released so the documentation is under revision.
    Working for php, cgi/perl, & coldfusion.
    .net shops are still having issues with this.
    A few reported problems with install on shared hosting environments.

After the initial going live week, it's been stable with no outage.

Good Luck,
    Tuan

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread