Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazon change of terms
    Anyone else get an email from them recently, changing the payment model? Seems to not be a widespread thing, but am just wondering how "lucky" I am.

I got it
    Atleast I am as un-"lucky" as you are

Quote Originally Posted by TI Master
    Anyone else get an email from them recently, changing the payment model? Seems to not be a widespread thing, but am just wondering how "lucky" I am.
    I dont think it is good thing but what I am not sure is why it is restricted to few folks only so far ?

Lightbulb
    for those of us who didn't get anything it would be nice to know what is coming.

Here it is...

P.S... bob, how well do you normally do with them? I generally hit the second highest or highest tiers, depending on the quarter.

Dear XXXX,

Over the next ten days Amazon.com will be changing the pay structure that it has in place with you today to one in which we pay you referral fees only on items that we send to you (and result in a sale on our website) on a regular basis.

To incorporate these new payment changes, we have attached an amendment to the existing Associates Operating agreement that you have in place with Amazon.com today. To migrate to the new pay structure, please print out, sign, and fax the amended agreement [fax #: (xxx) xxx-xxxx] by close of business on Friday, October 13. Alternatively, if you prefer to not continue as an Amazon Associate, there is no action required on your part because our existing agreement will be terminated on October 16. Please note that if you choose to discontinue with the Associates program. you will be paid referral fees through October 16 only during the 4th quarter of 2006.

Amazon.com values our business relationship and we certainly hope that you choose to continue as a member of the Amazon Associates program. We recognize that transitioning to a new business model may have its challenges, which is why we are open to your feedback on this new payment structure moving forward.

Thank you for your time,

Amazon.com Associates team

Attached is an agreement, which basically outlines the above, AND says we'll no longer have access to associates central (presumably so we won't see how many sales we don't get paid for). We will get emailed a sales report 30 days after the end of each quarter, and will be emailed a list of commissionable ASIN's at the beginning of each quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by TI Master
    Attached is an agreement, which basically outlines the above, AND says we'll no longer have access to associates central (presumably so we won't see how many sales we don't get paid for). We will get emailed a sales report 30 days after the end of each quarter, and will be emailed a list of commissionable ASIN's at the beginning of each quarter.
    Wow, so you can only find out what you've earned 4 times a year? Sounds like you've committed a serious crime by being a strong performer.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Exclamation
    I'm finding this very hard to believe. Ordinarily I'd expect an email like that to require signing in on a link that looks good but actually goes to Thailand.

In fact, how much information does the amended agreement ask for, like: ID and password, etc . . . . . . . . . .

We've seen too many scams lately.

I checked the headers, and the phone number and email address of the sender (including the name of the sender) is consistant with Amazon. Further, the PDF file included too much of my personal information, AND required no information such as my login or password. The document has "Amazon Legal" all over it, and looks far too draconian to not be real

It sounds fishy (phishy?) to me. Did'nt see anyone talking about it at amazon discussion boards, dp, etc.

No, I'm 100% sure its real. The headers and identity of the sender fully back it up. I doubt too many got it. I also doubt any would be brave enough to complain about it on Amazon's own boards, if, as I suspect, they are top tier folks. Also, the email went out over the weekend, so waiting til Monday to see the full reaction.

ABW Ambassador
    That is fishy:

"To migrate to the new pay structure, please print out, sign, and fax the amended agreement [fax #: (xxx) xxx-xxxx] by close of business on Friday, October 13"

That's only 5 days away, I'm sure you got it before today but notice the short amount of time they want this info? That's for a reason. Get it and go, then shut the operation down.

And then this nonsense:
    "Attached is an agreement, which basically outlines the above, AND says we'll no longer have access to associates central"

Why wouldn't they want you to have access to associates central? I can't see Amazon ever saying that, it doesn't make any sense.

Because they probably have no automated way to show the commissions for the "new" plan. Since if I had access to associates central, I could see how badly they are hosing me over, they're restricting it. It takes effect Monday Oct. 16, and they're giving me 10 days from the day they sent the email, which was the 7th. I have to respond by Friday the 13th (how lucky), or I get the boot the following Monday.

I would love to know how many affiliates, and how well earning, got this email.

The only info they want is my signature, agreeing to the amendments.

I, too, have unfortunately received this email as well. Last quarter, I was in the second highest commission tier. This email seemingly came out of nowhere. Has anyone responded to it yet?

ABW Ambassador
    I would login to your Amazon account and contact them using the Contact Associates Customer Service form and ask about it, get verification. I just checked their discussion forums and see no mention of this at all. Looks like some kind of scam to me.

Sounds goofy to me. Short notice, "Friday the 13th", no announcements on the Associate Central board, nobody else is up in arms about this on the various forums where it is likely to generate 347-page freakout threads.

I'll believe it when I get the email.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Over the next ten days Amazon.com will be changing the pay structure that it has in place with you today to one in which we pay you referral fees only on items that we send to you (and result in a sale on our website) on a regular basis.
    I think I understand what that is trying to say, but it seems like it was written by a 'challenged person' ( language or otherwise)?

"changing the pay structure that it has in place with you today" ---you already know it, why not spit it out?

"we pay you referral fees only on items that we send to you"---items you send to me, not the customers? LOL

"and result in a sale on our website"---duh
    Last edited by simcat; October 9th, 2006 at 05:55 AM.

Sorry Trust, I know its legit, due to the name of the sender and the IP addresses in the headers, and the fact that its not phishing for any information. I have dealt with that specific person at Amazon in the past.

I figure only a very small percentage of affiliates got it, and probably fitting a certain profile. I also figure that if you were in the second highest to highest tier, you probably wouldn't be brave enough to go post about it on Amazon's boards, since they know who you are. I know I wasn't. I also don't figure that its something they would make an announcement about. I really doubt they want the publicity over it. I do wonder if it is a test of things to come for many others, or just punishment for doing too well. In Q3 I was in the second highest tier, and in Q4 I'd have maxed it out.

Got it too... I think I was in the 2nd highest, or highest tier last qtr.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another lousy crook big-name merchant to avoid
    Only paid on items they send you on a regular basis?! So all the "irregular" stuff they salt your sites with is FREE even if it sells? And stuff that they send that doesn't usually sell, is FREE ADVERTISING for them even if it does occasionally make a sale?!

This is what I'm seeing through my tired eyes. Am I reading that right?

That's what the sound of links coming down is made of.

What pure rot. As soon as they decide you've made "enough" (gag), get ready for an onslaught of "not-regularly-sent" uncommissionable junk. And, gee, it'll just happen to occur at less than you're getting now (otherwise they wouldn't bother with such a lousy change).

If it was me I'd get a non-Amazon site going ASAP. There's enough affiliate-enabled merchants on the net to replace most, if not all, the stuff Amazon sells--and usually at better commissions, too.

ABW Ambassador
    "Sorry Trust, I know its legit, due to the name of the sender and the IP addresses in the headers, and the fact that its not phishing for any information. I have dealt with that specific person at Amazon in the past."

Go thru the form on their site anyway, to make sure. Maybe this person is an issue. What's been brought up already unless you guys are withholding some type of information? Fax us this and that in a few days or we'll drop you? Don't do anything at all and you'll get the boot? And then if you accept this agreement you can't login into Amazon to check your stats. They email them to you 4 times a year? Very short amount of time to accept this agreement. Punishment for doing to well, what? And pretty much complete silence on the internet about it except in this one thread. No other posts on forums, other sites, no anonymous Amazon sucks for this move blog, something. That just doesn't add up. Something's missing.

It's real, guys.

The official representatives of the Amazon Associates program, who call themselves "Associates Program" and are marked with a moderator's gavel, have confirmed it on the official Associates board at http://forums.prosperotechnologies.c...es?msg=16587.8 . They say that it's limited to "a small segment of the Associates community". I (who am a nobody) say that worse and worse TOS will gradually apply to everyone, because they no longer see the Associates program as being very necessary.

Thanks.
    D.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, looks like the real deal, here is the whole thread:

http://forums.prosperotechnologies.c...6587.1&ctx=128

That thread is going to blow up. Still confusing, this part:

"Amazon.com will be changing the pay structure that it has in place with you today to one in which we pay you referral fees only on items that we send to you (and result in a sale on our website) on a regular basis."

On the Amazon board others are confused too, I don't know if it's just worded badly or what. Somebody should post on the Amazon board the rest of it, the not being able to login to Associates Central and them emailing you 4 times a year with stats. Doesn't make much sense to me. That would make me want to quit Amazon, or make less with them. So not getting why they would want that. Is it a money issue/profit issue and they don't want to pay the higher tiers?
    Last edited by Trust; October 9th, 2006 at 02:45 PM.

Great, so if this is the reward for climbing to the highest tier I don't think I want to make that climb. I'd rather continue promoting their competition. Good job Amazon!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Scary stuff ...

Has anyone made sense of it? It certainly seems senseless, unless they plan on closing their aff program altogether.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    From Amazon:

"The changes referenced in the posts above will only affect Associates within the Deal & Coupon category, which can be defined as a category of Web site dedicated to finding the best deals or price discounts across the Internet (and brick-n-mortar stores as well) and/or websites that provide coupons to different retail stores, online or offline. If your business is not related to the Deal & Coupon category, or you only occasionally promote deals, coupons, or discounts in the context of the topic of your Web site, you will not be affected by these changes.

-The Associates Team

http://forums.prosperotechnologies.c...p&msg=16587.11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast