Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Sign of the Times - CJ Link Blocked
    I was at a programmer friend's house Saturday and we pulled up one of my links so he could buys some tools and give me a little commish. The problem is that his PC is blocking the CJ link and he can't figure out why. Due to the paranoid times we live in he probably has a utility or browser setting to blame. He is above average tech savvy and can't figure out the cause. The pop up looks like a windows system pop but could be Javascript. There must be thousands of folks just like him.

He is above average tech savvy so he probably has an edited host file.

if he couldn't figure out why then you're friend is probably below average tech savvy.

if he couldn't figure out why then you're friend is probably below average tech savvy.
    This is not the point. How many folks out in cyber land are going to try and figure out why our links are blocked. They just move on. My friend just made a quick check while we were drinking coffee with a group of men. He will figure it out, but what about the thousands that don't care?

A statement that I use on my web pages: Attention shoppers! If you see no advertisements on this page, you will need to disable any "ad blocking" software you are using including the "no ads" portion of Norton Antivirus and Security software. I haven't checked lately but, Norton was targeting CJ ads in the past and may still be doing so.

I have received numerous emails from shoppers thanking me for the information.

Also, if you are using javascript for ads, his java scripting may be set to disable.

Gene
    TCS

An earlier thread mentioned this article: http://www.vinnylingham.com/specialr...kiedetections/ (and specifically the "cookie comparison" table at http://www.vinnylingham.com/specialr...ookiescompared), in which Ben Edelman surveyed "which tools" disabled "which cookies" -- noting that LinkShare and CJ/Bfast cookies are most frequently disabled by anti-spyware software utilities. None of the utilities deleted ShareASale cookies (a relief for me, since I had just launched our affiliate program through Sas).

The earlier thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=78712

Maybe I need to clarify a little. First we are talking html links in this case. Second I don't think it's a cookie and tracking issue. I have a text link in a good content page that draws nice traffic and converts well. I use a redirect on the link that pulls the cj link off of my server for tracking and cloaking. When the link is clicked his PC gives a pop-up saying that xvqwst.com or whatever can not be accessed. The page is blocked not the tracking. Something is seeing xvqwst.com as a bad domain to be redirected to.

None of the utilities deleted ShareASale cookies (a relief for me, since I had just launched our affiliate program through Sas).
    And yes he has bought from my SAS links before with no problem.

ABW Ambassador
    Looking at that chart, maybe why I do better with the same merchant when I promote them thru Performics, when the Anti-Spyware programs are getting 32% of CJ's cookies compared to 7% with Performics. And what's been mentioned 0% of SAS.

Sounds like a hosts file issue.

I like SpyBot Search and Destory and use it, but I have seen CJ domains included in their blocked hosts file list.

Betcha that is the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I have a text link in a good content page that draws nice traffic and converts well. I use a redirect on the link that pulls the cj link off of my server for tracking and cloaking. When the link is clicked his PC gives a pop-up saying that xvqwst.com or whatever can not be accessed. The page is blocked not the tracking. Something is seeing xvqwst.com as a bad domain to be redirected to. // And yes he has bought from my SAS links before with no problem.
    I know I had this problem with one of the utility programs last fall (2005) -- in my case, I had some CJ and LinkShare text links in context on a web page, and the software worked within my browser to dynamically strip out the entire text link (deleting all text inside the lnk), without any warning. It made some of my pages seem ridiculous (or at least, more incomprehensible than normal), displaying text like:
    "I used to use the ProductName1 from , but more recently I've had better results with the from."
    when the actual page was supposed to say:
    "I used to use the ProductName1 from MerchantName1, but more recently I've had better results with the ProductName2 from MerchantName2."

In your case, because you are using a redirect, the text-link is still displayed, but some software is either disabling the redirect when it is to an "advertising domain" URL, or as noted may simply put a dummy entry into the hosts file to block those domains entirely.

Thanks, theCool: your heads-up to your shoppers is a super idea. I am going to add a link explaining how to enable javascripts. Thanks again! I had ZERO awareness of this problem prior to this thread.

Another Saturday and more coffee. We looked at it with all virus and firewall protection running.

Sounds like a hosts file issue. I like SpyBot Search and Destory and use it, but I have seen CJ domains included in their blocked hosts file list. Betcha that is the culprit.
    This could be the culprit, but we didn't dig deep enough to be sure. He does have Spybot set on immunize, but I thought that was only for IE use. We will have to explore host file issue.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by kea12345678

I like SpyBot Search and Destory and use it, but I have seen CJ domains included in their blocked hosts file list.

No, there are many threads about programs like N*rton blocking view and access to CJ and other network links and images. This isn't a new problem, it has been around for 2-3 years.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by kea12345678

I doubt it.

That woldn't bring up a pop-up, it would just bring up a "host not found" message of some sort on the actual page.

And when we talk of blocked domains on host files, because CJ multi-redirects ALL clikcs though MULITPLE CJ domains including qksrv.net and commission-junction.com it only takes ONE of those domains to be listed in the poisoned hosts file, and your traffic stops DEAD. The huge number of extra domains CJ started using have NO EFFECT in this matter. And qksrv.net and/or commission-junction.com are in EVERY downloadable advert blocking host file I've ever seen.

ABW Ambassador
    Theyr'e blocked here at work now... banners don't appear & text links don't load. Adsense is blocked too. It's a real PITA to work on my own stuff when it's slow...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

CJ links blocked by Spyware - can we do anything
    My apologies if I'm "beating a dead horse", but I've been searching the forums for the last hour to find information.

I am new to affiliate marketing, and have some links on my website with both LS and CJ. My site targets "reallybusypeople", so quite important to me is people being able to access from work.

I did a test from my own day job and found an almost 50% rate of people not being able to use my CJ links - the dreaded DNS error. Our coporation pushes out Norton and Spybot search and destroy - with the users having no ability to edit hosts files, etc.

I work for Sony, so suffice to say a large corporation. I know from my IT friends that many large corps are embracing Spybot and deploying the same way we do...

So, is there any solution for me? My target audience has no control over their machine to "unblock" my links. This happens only to CJ links, and based on reading here I've also tried both javascript and html links - no luck. LS and other affiliates are fine. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance - if this has already been answered could you kindly point me to the correct area to continue searching / reading ?

I thought I had returned with the solution, but now I see that's not so. Here was the answer:

I edited his host file and he could use the link.

In my dreams I see a machine ID for each PC that is visible somehow over the web. A lot of the creepy stuff on the web could be slowed if peoples actions could be tied to their machine. You wouldn't need cookies if you could track the machine. I should have stayed in bed a little longer.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    In my dreams I see a machine ID for each PC that is visible somehow over the web... I should have stayed in bed a little longer.
    What you are dreaming has been around for a l-o-n-g time. Although it is not really a machine ID, but it works almost like that. It's called MAC addess. It is a unique identifier tied to the network card in the computer. If you have multiple network cards, there will be multiple MAC addresses.

More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address.

I understood about editing the hosts file, but my question was is there anything "I" can do when creating my links? In the case of my target marget, they are in corporate jobs on computers that they can't edit their hosts file - most corporate IT folks block this from their users. I actually did a test on a machine here at the office, editing the file, and the next time the user logged in our IT pushed the updates and edits right back to his machine. :-(

I'm more wondering is there anything I can / should do when creating my links on my web pages to help avoid this problem?

ABW Ambassador
    No, there isn't. I even wrote CJ about this last year asking them if they would contact a specific software company who sells their software to corporate clients asking them to assure the software company that CJ links are not spyware or anything else that would compromise security. The response I got was basically that the software these companies sell is very customizable and that CJ can't do anything about it. In other words, CJ didn't even make an effort which to me means they don't care.

CJ did care at one time. That's why they registered a lot of new domains for their links in order to circumvent Norton Internet Security and likely some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    CJ did care at one time. That's why they registered a lot of new domains for their links in order to circumvent Norton Internet Security and likely some others.
    All that did was treat the symptoms, not the root problem.

The root problem is that CJ doesn't police their affiliates well enough. Enough affiliates do unscrupulous things (parasites, spam, etc.) that the CJ tracking domains get blacklisted by places like Norton Internet Security.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for replying - I was afraid that was the answer, but couldn't
    help hoping....

I've been reading a lot since discovering this forum, and I'm
    currently trying to research how many of my affiliate programs might
    possibly be elsewhere like SAS. I was also incredibly surprised that
    as a new CJ publisher as of Nov, they don't bother to tell you
    anywhere about the Javascript change that happened last July and that
    the html links could be phased out. Somewhat dissapointing to me,
    but as a newbie I didn't know any better until I started reading
    these forums.

It seems, from what I've read so far, that I need to get the afsrc=1 into all my links and check that target =_blank instead of _new. Are there any "basics" that as a newcomer I might not have found yet? If so, I'd appreciate a link to the thread here....

Back to reading

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by bghouse
    I was also incredibly surprised that
    as a new CJ publisher as of Nov, they don't bother to tell you
    anywhere about the Javascript change that happened last July and that
    the html links could be phased out. Somewhat dissapointing to me,
    but as a newbie I didn't know any better until I started reading
    these forums.
    Don't get us re-started on that!

As a result of HUGE pressure from affiliates and to somewhat a lesser degree from merchants, CJ abandoned that last summer. So there would be no reason to tell new affiliates about it.

They were going to mandate the use of only javascript affiliate links, but ultimately backed down to make that only an option, which is exactly how it should be.

Sigh... wish I had gotten that far in my reading.... Spent last weekend changing all the CJ links over to javascript

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    You might want to consider changing them back to HTML because anyone who has Javascript disabled will not see your links.

This issue is addressed quite well at http://www.jangro.com/. Under "Categories" on the right, click on CJ Link Management Initiative (LMI).

Thanks again, I just put that item on my ToDoList after reading a post about IE7 disabling javascript by default....

I may have to buy stock in Advil and Starbucks at this rate... ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast