Landing page specificity.
    I was looking through ads like I have been for over a month now seeing what industries are doing for their products and services and I see ALOT of general home pages or non specific pages being shown for VERY specific terms, is it just me or is this actually quite common in PPC?

did I overlook some of the rules with using adwords or do most people actually think a generic landing page will convert better than a product specific one?

I would imagine that people doing this for months or years have a clue as to what they're doing, but I'm begining to think alot of them really don't, either that or they have some magical secret that is unknown to anyone but them.Which makes their generic landing pages convert better than specific ones.

In my experience landing pages are key to conversions. I thought that was gospel but apparently not...maybe it is just laziness?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I can't belive people are that lazy, I mean how much extra effort is required to put the specific page in as opposed to the home one?

It may be hard to believe, but it just might be true...

I can't think of a good reason not to have a landing page, especially with specific search terms!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    It isn't lazy so much as it is ego (we can sell anyone our product). They make keyword lists that are way too off topic so the page looks irrelvant to you to the term you're considering. AdWords will punish this behavior by making it stop when it's really bad or making it expensive when it's mildly bad.

Internet Cowboy
    There is LOTS of bad PPC out there. I see it every day. This is why G is making zillions of dollars, because bad PPC is expensive and people are too lazy to learn how to run affordable PPC.

It isn't lazy so much as it is ego (we can sell anyone our product)
    good point, IMHO ego has no place in the business world. I would've also figured companies pulling in 7 figure profits would know better.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think it varies from product to product / service to service.

We did some A-B testing and in some instances, we found that custom landing pages made sense while some custom pages tanked. Take what you learn and run with it..
    As they say YMMV..

If the merchant or aff is spending lots of money on it everyday, he/she has the conversion ratio nailed down and know what converts best.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread