Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Pissed Off Need Reccommendations
    Ok, so I was pleased with myself that I finally graduated to a laptop and now I can't figure out how I ever did without it. Till a few days ago.
    All of a sudden it didn't recognize the ac adapter and wouldn't charge 80% of the time. Back to the store it goes, still under warranty, plus I got an extended warranty on it, they shipped it to their main branch to fix it, and I got the bad news today, no laptop for 2 months.. Shoooottt.. not impressed.
    Seems this a known issue with some toshiba satellites, the pin connector inside breaks off and to fix it, you need a whole new motherboard.
    Which of course they don't have in stock will take a month to ship at least...
    So I'll go buy another one then that one will go to the kids or be sold privately.
    Any recommendations? The new core2 duo processors are just hitting the stores, and seem fast.. I want one that comes with at least 2gis of ram expandable to 4 eventually plan on keeping the new puppy for awhile...
    Kinda looking at the Gateway MP8708 17" Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz but am open to any suggestions as long as the darn thing doesn't cost as much a a new small car...
    Now planning a few more new sites to pay for this thing.. lol
    Any help would be appreciated..

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    We feel your pain...two of our guys had massive problems with the Toshiba's. They are crap.

I love my Acer. I only have 1GB RAM on this one... 4GB on my PC. But for some reason this things flys. I rarely have issues with it at all.

Even though I drop it waaaay too often, it still keeps on ticking! It's an Acer Aspire 5000.

Hope that helps!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I can relate to your frustration Just. It always torques you when you have to send something in and then wait for what seems like an eternity to get it back. I think it's the "new toy anxiety syndrome." lol

Hope you get things squared away soon and in the meantime, just close your eyes when you use the desktop and pretend it's just a really bulky laptop!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I have an acer too. Had to send it in once for a hard drive failure this past summer.
    They sent the courier over the morning after I called, picked it up, dianosed it, installed the new hard drive and sent it back to me about 3 or 4 business days later.
    Normally I don't toot the horn of systems I have to get serviced but the service experience was so good, plus the fact I sold lots of acers when I had a j*b and had very few returns or issues with them I will definitely put them in front when I look for a new one.
    Considering what I run on this one I have been nothing but impressed.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

2 months - that...is absolutely nuts and inexcusable. Good lord I'd be cursing up a storm if I just bought a new one that had to be taken back for that period of time.

I feel for ya!

Consider a Dell XPS maybe? Got mine in a few weeks ago (the smaller of the models - M1210) and working fine so far (let me go knock on a lot of wood right now)...

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    I have an acer too.
    Normally I don't toot the horn of systems I have to get serviced but the service experience was so good
    Same here. I literally practically destroyed mine when I dropped it about 12 feet down. Sent it in on a Monday and it was returned that Saturday. I was thrilled!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    I like my Averatech... even with it's monitor clip... (people that have seen it will understand... lol) And when my hard drive failed in it, I froze the drive and it said "oh fine wtvr, I'll go back to work" and it has been working hard ever since.

I did get an HP Pavilion Turion 64 (had to buy 2 in Feb/March actually) and I love it. I know others have said they have had issues, but mine rocks

I recently got a Toshiba and it seems to be behaving fine... am keeping an eye on it though, because a friend of mine has had to return hers for repair twice now.... not a pleasant thought!

I need to start looking at prices for memory too, I seem to be hitting the limits with my multi-tasking... so now have a desktop and 3 laptops working at all times...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    After seeling hundreds of notebooks to clients since the 80's and using some for myself .... I'd say you can't be faulted for going strait to the IBM thinkpad all the time.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Justdoit
    Any recommendations? The new core2 duo processors are just hitting the stores, and seem fast.. I want one that comes with at least 2gis of ram expandable to 4 eventually plan on keeping the new puppy for awhile...
    I've purchased a Sony VAIO VGN-AR170P just recently. Very happy with it. You can get one custom-built at SonyStyle.com and it is turns out to be not as expensive as I initially thought it would be... Before purchasing mine, I ran a "Sony or Toshiba?" poll here at ABW. You'll find some good feedback there too... I decided to choose Sony, because I have had excellent experience with my previous two Vaios. Very happy with what I got. Highly recommend it. Quiet and fast. All that I wanted a laptop to be...

The only thing I had a hard time getting used to is the wide screen. But on some reason most laptops with similar characteristics are now only made with wide screens... Got used to it after about a week of working on it.

Geno

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have a dell laptop with a 2.8 desktop processor. it is a piece of %^$

Been back to the factory 2 times cos of problems. Bios, Hard drive and things that they can't diagnose. Spent like 3-4 hrs trying to get it back to the factory to be fixed

I have a IBM from work. love it...
    light, small and reliable

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    A little update.
    After screaming at tech support yesterday about having to wait almost 2 months to get my laptop back, seems there is no hope.
    The stupid thing needs a new motherboard so that the pin connector that actually recognizes the adapter is out of stock. So they have backordered it and it will take at least a month, they are out of stock real bad.
    Then of course time to fix it and ship it back. Not a very happy camper.
    Thinking of going down to the local computer store and checking out their laptops, have a perfectly good desktop but got real spoiled by my laptop and don't wanna live without it... Ah the joys of technology. not.

ABW Ambassador
    Good luck Justdoit. It's not a good sign for us other Toshiba satellite owners that pieces are out of stock.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite a105-s4074 notebook in July and so far so good. It flew with me to wisconsin at that time. Since then it hasn't made it farther than the living room couch. So maybe my pins will stay healthy.

Lily

macbook = much less (though certainly not none) custmer service headaches.

Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread