Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Spamhaus.org faces threat to its domain name
    Found this here - http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6124309.html

A while back our domain actually ended up on their list for 2 days...practically shut us down for that time

-------

A U.S. company accused of being a spammer is escalating its legal fight against Spamhaus, a British organization that maintains a blacklist of junk e-mailers.

e360 Insight, which filed suit against Spamhaus in federal court in Illinois, on October 6 asked U.S. District Judge Charles Kocoras to delete the spamhaus.org domain name.

e360 has proposed that be done by ordering the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, and registrar Tucows, to suspend the registration for the domain (PDF). While e360 claims to be a "responsible, opt-in marketer," Spamhaus has posted examples of junk e-mail that appears to originate from the company.

The case is somewhat unusual because Spamhaus initially participated in the suit to defend itself, and then intentionally dropped out on the theory that a British organization shouldn't have to worry about a U.S. lawsuit. That resulted in a $11.7 million default judgment against it last month.

If e360 gets its way and ICANN and Tucows are forced to delete the domain name of a non-U.S. group, the result would likely renew concerns about a U.S.-dominated Internet and spur calls for reform.

But Jonathan Zittrain, who teaches Internet law at Oxford University, says that result is a long way off. For instance, Kocoras may not sign the order. Or Tucows and ICANN could intervene in the proceedings and try to head off being required to delete the domain name.

"There's some chance this could turn out to be more than mildly interesting, but I don't see any reason to think it's some grave event for cyberspace," Zittrain said in a mailing list discussion.

For its part, Spamhaus says: "We think it can not actually happen, due to the effect it would have both on the Internet and on millions of users. We believe a government agency would have to step in before it happened."

There's another option for Spamhaus, even if it loses in U.S. court. It could quickly switch to a U.K.-based domain that would be less vulnerable to the federal court system.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The e360 lawsuit should provide some interesting insight into the operations of both mailers and Spamhaus. Let's see what happens and benefit from the additional education.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Yeah I am looking forward to seeing the court documents afterwards...regardless of the outcome.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Great find Matt. It should be very interesting to see the documents, regardless of the outcome.

Zach Hamilton

ABW Ambassador
    Not really. Pretty obvious.

But it is interesting to see who is excited about spamhaus losing their domain... an RX company that operates under 50,000 domains is happy to see this happen?!?! Well lick the back of my head and call me sticky, who could have predicted that.

What next a leads based business offering home loa.. oops... yeah....

Chet

Oops
    Contrary to your apparent assumption - we support spamhaus 100% on this matter. My interest in the documentation is rooted in my belief that if both parties are required to disclose their internal operations - the plaintiff has no grounds to support their motion. Not all Rx's condone spam Chet so please don't paint us all with the same brush.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I will say that Alan's company does have a great reputation for not allowing internally or by affiliates.

My hope is that businesses who do have a strict policy will soon begin to reap the financial rewards in the long run.

Let's face it... works for whatever reason (mainly that there are still a lot of stupid people who think that they DID win the Nigerian lottery!) so it's going to continue until the penalties are just ridiculously severe.
    Matt McWilliams

[QUOTE=MattMcWilliams]I will say that Alan's company does have a great reputation for not allowing internally or by affiliates.

We also only have two domains : - ) Thanks for the kind acknowledment. Anyone who is interested can view our TOS in our SaS bio. Not "every" rx follows the spam path - so thanks for noticing!!

ABW Ambassador
    Just curious, do you rent out your phone number? Took over another RX's number? Or is this the "our company" game?

wow that was very interesting guys!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread