15 years and counting
    1800Flowers leaks
    Have a look at the bottom of EACH PAGE of 1800flowers.com!
    I tried them also with affiliate links. Same.

They use our traffic to promote:
    Child Costumes
    Halloween Chocolate
    Halloween Cookies
    Halloween Crafts
    Halloween Decorations
    Halloween Treats
    Wine of the Month Club

If you have seasonal traffic for Halloween, be careful!

Are we paid to send our traffic there? NO
    Is LinkShare paid? No (do they care really?)

LinkShare, how can you let a merchant take advantage of your affiliates? Do you work for free?
    Where's your compliance team?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all

so my official response about my feelings about 1800F is

Billy says nothing
    Billy says nothing
    Billy says nothing
    Billy says nothing
    Billy says nothing
    Billy says nothing

and the name in it's own right isn't a leak.....right ;-)

CPA Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    and the name in it's own right isn't a leak.....right ;-)
    Thanks for the morning laugh!

-=Chipmunk=-
    [B]Matthew "Chipmunk" Sclier[/B]
    Affiliate Relations Manager
    [B]E-Mail:[/B] [email=matthew@leadflash.com]matthew@leadflash.com[/email]
    [B]Phone:[/B] (561) 499-3329 ext.126
    [B]AIM/Y!:[/B] ChipmunkLF l [B]ICQ: [/B] 48437188
    [URL=http://www.leadflash.com/855122D5-967E-4CAD-AE2B-F56DD265219C/refer.aspx]LeadFlash.com[/URL]: 100% Exclusive Cash Advance Offers

All of those companies that those links go to are owned by 1800Flowers. Now, we can't ask them to stop cross promoting their own stores, but an ideal solution would be for those sites to share the same shopping cart, thus crediting the sources that actually send the customers. The shared shopping cart system also makes shopping easier for the customer.

What's more troublesome, where the real leaking starts, is the trend that some e-retailers are using their website as an advertising platform itself: Home Depot, Net Flix, Buy.com etc.

At the endof the day, one can only use his/her bottom line to decide whether a merchant is worth working with. Just because a merchant has leaks, doesn't mean it will convert worse than one without.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Now, we can't ask them to stop cross promoting their own stores, but an ideal solution would be for those sites to share the same shopping cart, thus crediting the sources that actually send the customers.
    Some of these companies have their own affiliate program, most of them at LinkShare.
    Why do you think they cross reference their sites? It's not only for the traffic but it's also a way to wash the cookies. (back and forth)
    1800flowers is not a new merchant. I've seen them doing all kind of tricks to avoid paying their commissions and not only for Halloween.
    They could find a way to compensate their affiliates for the lost commissions or best to have only one affiliate program (or one shopping cart) for all their sites. I'm not sure they want to do it.
    To let them do what they want because they eventually convert is a way to push other merchants to do the same.

Er...not sure if I'm missing something, but I think there might be some paranoia going on here. There's no "cookie washing" going on--if you visit one of those other sites and go back to 1800flowers, you still get credit for the sale. The only way the cookie is "washed" is if the link back is through another affiliate link--but the links look clean to me.

As Sam Bay said, I see this all over the place, and I don't think it's a particularly new thing--sites link to other sites...that's why they call it the Web. I don't think they're doing anything particularly nefarious. In fact, I don't know what your experience is, but on my site, most people just ignore what's down there.

If you really think this is killing your traffic, try signing up for their other affiliate programs and linking from your site before your users link to theirs. I didn't even know Cheryl and Company was affiliated with them, but I gotta check to see if they have an affiliate program--their cookies are out of this world.

Affiliate Manager
    Hello All -

I'll go ahead and back-up what has already been discussed.

These links are not on the footer of our websites to "cookie wash." As hcl777 stated all of these websites have their own affiliate programs and thus they all drop their own affiliate cookies.

Also - as you can see the links in the footer are all clean direct links with no tracking redirects.

This is our form of cross promotion which - as it has already been stated - is much less over the top than other merchant websites.

Rest assured there is a team working hard on all of these affiliate programs and the last thing we want to have happen is for cookie washing to take place.

Thanks,
    Joey

15 years and counting
    Joey - These links are not on the footer of our websites to "cookie wash." As hcl777 stated all of these websites have their own affiliate programs and thus they all drop their own affiliate cookies.
    They all drop their own affiliate cookies IF and ONLY IF the customer arrive directly from the affiliate site to one of the merchant sites, if you direct the customer FIRST to 1800flowers and if the customer follow one of the links at the bottom of the site, NO COOKIE will be set for this other merchant and therefore NO COMMISSION will be paid if the customer buy something.

I agree, there's no cookie washing. Your form of cross promotion is called "traffic stealing"

ABW Ambassador
    I stopped promoting 1800flowers a long time ago.

Monitoring merchant websites and the sales I make from them has become part of my daily routine.

I note when "cross-merchandizing" links appear, live chat and other leaks as well; and then watch the sales trends for that merchant. Sometimes my sales remain strong even with them (would I have made more $$$, without them or how much more I can't tell). But if and when the sales start to decline and reach an unacceptable level, I notify the merchant that they are being replaced and why.

This irritates them greatly. They usually get snippy and say they are entitled to different marketing channels. I remind them that I have my own business plan and marketing strategies and they no longer fit my priorities.

As I've stated before, I optimize pages with generic terms and marketing strategies, so that one merchant's products can quickly and easily be replaced by another. I generally don't create product pages, if only one merchant carries that type of product, because I never want the merchant to believe he/she has the upper hand in my business model.

The days of throwing up affiliate links and not checking them or the merchant site for months has really ended. Some really good merchants have turned into pirates during the last few years and I have been burned. But luckily new merchants are entering the field every month. I continue to learn how to protect my business and make money. Vigilance and cynicism have always been required in offline business and online is no different.

Lily

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    The days of throwing up affiliate links and not checking them or the merchant site for months has really ended. Lily
    Each targeted click is worth more and more. Just check Overture or AdWords to have an idea. No free ride anymore. I'm seeing a trend at LinkShare. More and more of their merchants are doing crosslinking and are taking advantage of their affiliates. I don't accept it anymore. Just have a look at wine.com and the company they bought, akagourmet. Crosslinking everywhere! Crooks.

An other danger of cross linking like 1800Flowers. Take Plow&Hearth, clean site, good products, not affiliated with parasites. Well. Think again.
    You drive your visitors to Plow&Hearth and they redirect them to The Popcorn Factory, Fannie May or Cheryl&Co. Guess what, they are all affiliated with parasites like eBates and others. Not only your click is lost but your customer is pushed by eBates to download Moe maker. Crooks.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    One of my pet peeves - unless there's a stronger word - is when a merchant sends us an email, an in it, they ask us to promote a totally unrelated (Linkshare) merchant (usually 1800F)

Got my weekly email from Oriental Trading Company, and they actually had a section in the email that said "Are you a related merchant to OTC? Let's make money together and crosslink"

Aargh

ABW Ambassador
    I just have to say thank you again to Billy K and Zeus. You two guys have taught me well over the last few years.

I now scour sites for leaks and have learned not only to go to the merchant site directly but to go through affiliate links to see if there is any difference. And to wander around a site for a while to see if anything pops up or changes. Merchants are becoming sneakier at taking their free rides.

Affiliate Manager
    I would like to reassure the group again that there is no intention on our side of taking a "free ride" on the traffic being sent to our site. We work as hard as we can to convert visitors when they are driven to our site.

If you drive a targeted visitor to Plow & Hearth their should be no danger of that person going to 1800Flowers.com or Cheryl&Co because the product lines are unrelated. That targeted visitor should buy from the site they are sent to.

The xbrand links are targeted at casual site browsers or catalog traffic who want to know more about our family of brands.

I do understand the partners point of view - and I agree, if you are sending a merchant targeted traffic and not converting then it is time to move on.

Thanks,
    Joey

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread