ABW Ambassador
    Hi
    I am looking for a second web hosting company for expansion of my empire :cool:

I currently use www.oneandone.co.uk and they have been fabulous. I highly recommend them, but I want a second host to ensure a different IP address for my new sites. I want a host with reasonable monthly transfer limits, and allow me to host more than one domain on the webspace. Proabably about 150MB space minimum.

Don't want to pay too much - who does? But I do wnat a company with proven record.
    I get reports of up time and speed of connection for my sites at oneandone.co.uk (from a third party) and have had not down time in over 2 years. Looking for similar quality.

Any recommendations? A quick look at Google brings up NetFirms. Anyone got experience with them?

best wishes to all and TIA

ABW members can get a discount at TH Media (another ABW member)

Out of the US hosts the one that consistent comes up with the best user reviews (I'm doing some research at the moment!) is Futurequest (that's an affiliate link - for a non-affiliate link use this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

In the UK I host with UK Shells - although the bandwidth and space limits are a bit meagre, the tech support is first-class.

A couple of good places for reviews of ISPs are Epinions (US) and dooyoo (UK)

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Dynamoo
    These companies seem a little expensive for what I would term a basic package. I think I was very lucky with oneandone - signed up about three years ago and got a great deal which seems far cheaper than many others.

Anyone tried IPowerweb.com?

ipowerweb sucks, my friend's site is hosted with them and poor chap always complains of down time..Not Recommended! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Andy,
    There are a couple of threads mentioning problems with iPowerweb on this board. You get what ya pay for these days.

I use Futurequest. For 150mb, you'd need a gold account, though, which is spendy. I have some silver accounts with 6 domains on them each (100mb), and also some basic accounts with the same. Each additional domain name mapped to the account (and the limit is the extra 5 IRM's, otherwise you can have another bunch of IRO's mapping to your main index page, if you're into that kind of thing) is a one time fee of $25. It can add up, but so far it seems a great ROI for me.

I will be trying out THMedia, just can't get my business partner to agree to which domain name to use, since they don't have IRM's.

I have some free sites at Netfirms, but they are not business sites. I have never kept track of their uptime or download speed.

I have one business site set up for free at Bizhosting, and judging by the impressions and sales the uptime has been excellent. However, their prices for that kind of storage space aren't better than FQ. I don't know what kind of service is at Bizhosting, but FQ is amazing both technically and supportally.

Hey Moo, can I buy some ad copy?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Need to update my hosting page!

THmedia, i1internet and apollo hosting all good.

Try the forum at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

There's enough info there to keep you going for a few years..

TK

ABW Ambassador
    TK
    Thanks that is great!!

Anyone tried http://alwayswebhosting.com/?

Guarantees 99.9% uptime but too cheap to be real?

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the plug, gang...and Andy, if you have any questions, just let me know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

For what I want, imagelinkusa.com is great.

They happen to be cheap ($5.95 a month for 50 MB), which is not that important, but they have PHP, MySQL, Python, shell, ftp, autoresponders, etc. Plus good statistics, other stuff.

If anybody knows of other sites that offer PHP/MySQL for a reasonable amount, let me know.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bullwinkle:
    For what I want, imagelinkusa.com is great.

If anybody knows of other sites that offer PHP/MySQL for a reasonable amount, let me know.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bullwinkle
    Did not get any replies about people using this alwayswebhosting.com so cannot give them my vote. However, I have just sigend up for their basic package which is $9.95 a month paid monthly. Offers 150 MB, 60GB bandwidth plus everything you mention I think. Support is excellent so far - less than an hour for both of my queries to be answered - one of a technical nature - and it was answered correctly and had me up and running.

I will keep everyone informed how they are when I get a chance to put up some pages there.

They do have a forum at the web site which seems to have a very positive feel to it. Users praising the company.

Will let you know in a couple of months.

thanks - alwayswebhosting.com looks great!

I'm going to give them a try soon.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ipowerweb has worked quite well for me.... no down time yet, and I have a couple of sites hosted there.....

PowWeb.com seem to get good reviews and are cheapish too.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PowWeb.com seem to get good reviews and are cheapish too<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plus they cough up the money for affiliates sales. This should say something for them.

I would highly recommend TH media. I have been useing them and had no problems at all. The support is great and if you have any questions they are VERY helpful. The control panel is very easy to use and the stats are wonderful.

The price is very good, especially with the ABW discount!

Plus, Tom is a nice guy and really cares about his customers.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Just a quick update.

I joined up with AlwaysWebHosting.com and have had superb service. My site has been down for 20 minutes - but that was for an apache upgrade so I forgive them. Apart from that everything is fast and I would highly recommend them - but do read the forum at the site as not everyone has had totally good experiences.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread