Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Plane hits Manhattan tower - four died
    Just on the news as I was on the way home.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/...246219100.html

Images by MSNBC

Four people died when a small plane crashed into a 50-storey condominium tower on Manhattan's Upper East Side, reportedly including a Yankees baseball pitcher.

Flaming debris rained onto the street below, rattling New Yorkers' nerves five years after the September 11 terrorist attack.

The New York City medical examiner's office confirmed that four people died in the crash.

CNN said the owner and pilot of the plane was Yankees baseball pitcher Cory Lidle who is believed to have died.

http and a telephoto
    6 firefighters are in the hospital also... apparently the plane is still in the apartment? or parts of it? sad and confusing and my heart goes out to the families....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I found out in the grocery store. Naturally at first we thought the worst, but were very relieved to hear it was not as one would assume thankfully.

Still not a good thing though.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    They are saying the plane was registered to NY Yankees Pitcher Cory Lidle and his passport was found in the street below the wreckage.

They say 2 are dead... An instructor and another person in the plane... likely Lidle.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Horrible news and scary. When it first happened all we heard was a plane hit. Even though the word got out quickly it was an accident and not terrorist attack it was still in the back of our minds. This happened just as my children were getting out of school.

My 9 year old daughter and I are big Yankee fans, my son is more of a Mets fan but his 2nd favs are the Yanks. I had to tell them the news.

Supposedly there are no other life threatening injuries, though several injured including the two people who were in the apartment at the time the plane hit.

I just watched the mayors press conference 2 people died. The people in the apartment were not hurt but one went to the hospital probably shaken up. They ran out the door when they heard the explosion. A few firefighters with small injuries which is normal for a 4 alarm fire.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Good detailed article about the incident as well as Corey Lidle on espn.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2621860
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I phoned my Dad in Florida because I wondered if it was the building he used to live in at 515 72nd Street. He recognized the building shown on the news and said it was across the street and a couple of doors down from 515.

72nd Street dead-ends at the East River. The "block" from York Avenue to the river is only about half a normal crosstown block in length.

According to my father planes are allowed to fly over the East River. Those buildings are perched at the edge of the island along the East River so the pilot didn't have to stray far to hit one of them.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yep - pilots are allowed to fly 500' above structures, and unless it has changed and the FAA has not notified us, you have no altitude minimum over water. I haven't seen the FAA report on this one yet - but it sounds like they were flying low over the water with structure to the left and right - so a problem with a rudder or other nav device could be a problem. Too bad this happened. It will be interesting to see what the FAA turns up on it.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Years ago I lived in a townhouse in Massachusetts that was struck by a two-seater plane. It sheared the cupola off the building and crash landed on the tennis courts. Fortunately nothing caught fire or exploded and there weren't any injuries on the ground. The pilot had a concussion and his passenger had a broken arm but other than that they were fine.

The plane was left where it came to a stop, with the nose mere inches from the front door of one of my neighbors, while the FAA investigated.

Life sure is strange.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Well it seems he was trying to make a U-turn. Now he had 2 choices, he could u-turn towards the tall buildings of Manhattan (to the left) or toward the short buildings of queens (to the right). He made the wrong decision.

But what I think is strange, is that if you check the active yankee roster (I checked to see how old he was) http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...e.jsp?c_id=nyy you'll see that he isn't part of it. That was very fast.

But what I think is strange, is that if you check the active yankee roster (I checked to see how old he was) http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASA...ve.jsp?c_id=nyy you'll see that he isn't part of it. That was very fast.
    He had cleaned out his locker on Sunday, because he was not expected to be re-signed. He was making his way back home to California.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Well it seems he was trying to make a U-turn. Now he had 2 choices, he could u-turn towards the tall buildings of Manhattan (to the left) or toward the short buildings of queens (to the right). He made the wrong decision.
    A family member is a private pilot, and according to him the turn was being made in the right direction. This is based on the dimensions of the flight "corridor" that the pilot was in and the "rules of the air" in the corridor, which are to stay to the right (as you would in a car). He suspects that the plane in use was too fast to be used in a small flight corridor like the one above the East River.

My heart goes out to the families of those who died, and to all those who have been hurt.

Darwin award?Really sad that the t*at took innocents with him.

This Pilot Agrees
    Your pilot family member is correct regarding the flight path in that airspace GR. We will have to wait for the NTSB investigation to see if something mechanical went wrong with the plane - or what if any outside problem caused this.

People who do not pilot planes and understand the many variables that can result in split second problems don't usually understand that it is not always a pilot error that causes this kind of tragic loss.

In the meantime, I appreciate your expression of compassion for the human beings involved in this tragedy and my prayers are with everyone affected by this loss.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    People who do not pilot planes and understand the many variables that can result in split second problems don't usually understand that it is not always a pilot error that causes this kind of tragic loss.
    Planes should not be flown somewhere if it's possible that split second problems can lead to the plane hitting a building - FFS!

I'll pass your remark along to the FAA at our next regional pilots meeting Paul. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    I'll pass your remark along to the FAA at our next regional pilots meeting Paul. Thanks.
    Good idea, you can cite this particular event as evidence - I'm sure the families of those killed as collateral damage will back you up too.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread