Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Valueclick rumored to be selling CJ - No Confirmation
    There is a news article that VC may be interested in selling CJ. Here is a highlight of some of the reasoning.

"CJ's profitable partnership with eBay is on the rocks, she argues, with eBay's recent move to set up its own affiliate infrastructure. Moreover, some believe ValueClick's leadership doesn't understand, and so doesn't value, affiliate marketing; recent missteps by CJ regarding its Link Management Initiative support that theory"

This sounds speculative but it is interesting. Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.marketingvox.com/archives...tion/index.php

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Would be ironic IF CJ was sold.....

on eBay

and it didn't track
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

IF TRUE..seems like it was LMI that may have helped push eBay...but then again they could have been working on that for some time.

regardless it seems that CJ was very well regarded by affiliates before the buy out, so that would have to discount a bunch of what is between the lines of that thought. Aside from shareasale is there one network as of a year and a half ago that had a better rep with affiliates?

go ahead flame on that thought...but before you do think about the old CJ

ABW Ambassador
    and it didn't track
    Waddya mean? Tracking is never affected.

go ahead flame on that thought...but before you do think about the old CJ
    Sorry, but I find it hard to think past CJ's first broadcast on Webmaster Radio not too long ago, where all I heard was pimping and marketing spin singing the praises of Ebates. Is that what the old CJ was all about?

Flash forward, why did ValueClick acquire CJ in the first place? What were they hoping to accomplish? Just maybe the steadfast refusal to acquiesce to LMI and be nothing more than unpaid conduits of real-time marketing data thwarted their purposes

Ha Ha.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is for sure...make an extreme statement like Beth has and all of a sudden you're getting tons of attention.

If she's right she becomes a superstar of affiliate marketing. If she's wrong we'll all have forgotten it by next year. No risk at all.

It's "Self Promotion 101."

or... the commission gets reversed

It's "Self Promotion 101."
    So I start an affiliate related blog...

right around the holidays I post things like

rumor has it was-mart is filing bankruptcy

suggest affiliates get out 'cause they won't be paid...

then I get all the trafific

Watch! Someone will do that!

ABW Ambassador
    That article is from 2 blogs Beth started, 0 responses to them. So it's just rumors.

"Saying she has no inside information - only rumor"

Going to look mighty silly if it doesn't happen.

Someone's always doing that, Billy. SOMEONE always has been. It's self marketing and it's rampant in affiliate marketing. If bullshit was worth something we could all quit our day jobs.

This is my favorite one. Four people get together and pronounce themselves "industry pundits." From that day forward, whenever they quote one another or refer to one another (which they do a lot) they write, "Industry pundit Hank Wanker said..." Eventually everyone starts to believe that these guys really are pundits. So now that they're pundits they have to keep the heat turned up. They do that by making outrageous statements. Blogs and newspapers quote them, noobs to the industry proclaim them to be gods, and these guys laugh their assses off because, as I said before, if they're wrong no biggie...we'll all forget soon enough. But if they're right it must be because they really, truly are industry pundits.

ABW Ambassador
    rhea got it figured out What the hell, I say Google buys them. If I'm wrong, so what. If I'm right, it's because I'm a visionary and I'll link back to this thread pointing it out to everyone

Henceforth you must all refer to me as an "industry pundit," and TrustNo1 as an "industry visionary."

In fact, would somebody please change my nickname to "Industry Pundit." I see no reason why I can't be an *******, too.

Lets abw members buy CJ .... and kick parasite butt

Rumor or not, VC forced CJ to do some things that were not financially sound (LMI) and I know they took a hit from it all. I'm sure they considered dropping CJ when they found out that affiliates have much more say in what we will accept from a network than they thought.

That said, I think CJ is on the rebound and will one day recover (if they don't impliment any future LMI type of fiascos). Probably just a rumor, but then again...
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    and it didn't track
    That gave me the best morning laugh I've had in a while

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg
    and it didn't track

Nice!!

Andy

VC probably saw the affiliate network as merely more ad inventory to incorporate into their newtwork for behavioral programs and didn't grasp that affiliate marketing isn't just tossing a bunch of banner ad units on a bunch of sites with the ads served up based on sites and actions consumers have taken in the past.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    rhea got it figured out What the hell, I say Google buys them. If I'm wrong, so what. If I'm right, it's because I'm a visionary and I'll link back to this thread pointing it out to everyone
    Exactly!! And if you are right you can start an Insider blog and charge people to get inside tips sent by email

OMG! CJ is being sold?!?!

I am cancelling my CJ account and closing up shop right NOW! What will I do? What will I do?

Oh wait... nah... never mind. I will wait and see.

(what? me panic?)

CJ being sold again?? Aw, shucks.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I still think there's something fishy going on with that $58m selling price last time.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Maybe the US congress, now that it's finished with online gambling, will declare affiliate marketing illegal next, and CJ will be sold for a dollar to some company in Antigua...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Let me get this right. CJ has compiled, documented the cookie setting schemes, and clickstream datamined the top 200 professional affiliate commission thieves on the planet for Value Click. VC's total investment in this project actually produced a small profit and now they wish to unload their responsibilty to cater to those not on the top 200 list to some other un-named Adwhore operation. Reality check for any potential buyer. Aside from the goodwill value of the list of top commission thieves the remainder of affiliates have seen their legit efforts produce earnings dropping like a rock. Selling their value at an inflated cost, after their continuously being raped, pillaged and starved to death, would take some real snake oil salemenship.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    This is my favorite one. Four people get together and pronounce themselves "industry pundits." From that day forward, whenever they quote one another or refer to one another (which they do a lot) they write, "Industry pundit Hank Wanker said..." Eventually everyone starts to believe that these guys really are pundits. So now that they're pundits they have to keep the heat turned up. They do that by making outrageous statements. Blogs and newspapers quote them, noobs to the industry proclaim them to be gods, and these guys laugh their assses off because, as I said before, if they're wrong no biggie...we'll all forget soon enough. But if they're right it must be because they really, truly are industry pundits.
    = dictionary definition of Fox News.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast