Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Just a curious question.
    How many of you rely on search engine listings for free traffic and how many use more paid advertising. Any percentage amounts on either method?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I use free and grandfathered listings for most of my traffic. My web clients use both since I do sign them up at Overture and sometimes findwhat.

ABW Ambassador
    PPC is less than 1% of my traffic. However, Inktomi listings are close to 30% of my traffic (that's an educated guesstimate).

ABW Ambassador
    I usually get most of my traffic from free(google) but recently paid to get included in askjeeves/teoma $30 for first url and $18 for the rest and then paid to get in msn/hotbot/aol. Im starting to see traffic from there and i will make a lot more than i paid to get in so i thing it was a good investment.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    When I started out I had 100% paid traffic (Overture--it was GoTo at the time--and some other PPCs) but now I have a lot of Free traffic. I have since fired OverSure and the other PPCs and get my paid traffic from Inktomi.

As for percentages, I don't have any offhand. I can just say that a good Inktomi ranking makes a "noticable" difference in the big picture for a product.

I also do a very small amount of banner advertising. That doesn't bring the instant results of an SE listing (paid or free), but at holiday times it's good to have some other exposure. The click-through-rate on banners SUCKS VERY BADLY but during the holidays there are people who will come around looking for gifts after reading the name of a site on a banner (even if they don't click it right away), and bookmark pages of interest.

As for other times of the year, sometimes they work, and sometimes I might as well have saved my money. Paid SE listings (assuming good rank is achieved) definitely give a better financial return, as paid advertising goes, but once the paid listings are there, and the free listings are there, I have to do something in addition to those listings when I want to turn up the heat.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    When I reached the point where I could say I was earning my living with affiliate marketing, I was doing it exclusively with PPC promotion. I have since developed a taste for free traffic, but if I'm doing the keyword research to promote something new, I'll often set up PPC listings too. It's a cushion against ups and downs in other search engines, especially Google.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread