Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Google Checkout Terms Demand Ongoing Credit Report Access!
    I didn't see any threads about this in the ABW search, so here goes:

I was looking for some cheapo earbud covers ($5.98 including shipping for the ones I settled on), and found a merchant who happened to have Google Checkout as an option.

So, I figured, I might as well check this setup out and pay that way...
    For the most part, it seems like a regular shopping cart. You have to log into your Goof account, but after that they ask for the CC# and stuff like any other place. BUT, I notice this little link below the input form. Something to the effect of, "by placing this order you agree to our terms and conditions..."

Usually I wouldn't think much of that, although I'd give a skim just to make sure. But since it's GOOGLE I took a closer look, and what did I see but THIS LINE (from https://checkout.google.com/termsOfService?type=Buyer ):

Quote Originally Posted by Google Checkout, Section 2, second paragraph
    You authorize us to confirm that your Payment Instrument is in good standing with the issuing financial institution, including, but not limited to, by submitting a request for a payment authorization and/or a low dollar credit and/or debit to the Payment Instrument, in accordance with the relevant card association rules. You also authorize us to obtain from time to time a credit report and/or to otherwise make credit or other background inquiries as we deem appropriate to evaluate your registration for or continued use of the Service
    This is for the BUYER Terms, not the AdWords terms or any other thing.

I just now looked at PayPal's terms and they do also mention that they MAY get a credit report (which tells me I must have been half-asleep when I agreed to *that*...). BUT, at least they don't say "from time to time" nor did I see any mention of the possibility of a low-dollar credit and/or DEBIT being made on my card--PP sent a credit.

Due to this I ended up NOT using Google Checkout to pay. Nothing's wrong with my credit, but Google is snoopy enough as it is without giving them the right to snoop at even more information that's none of their frickin' business! It's not like I'm applying for credit from G!

Do you think this is a reasonable set of terms on Google's part?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Draconian penetration into the private parts of the shopper. I'm in heated debates with the Goofle staff right now over their complete ignorance on the sales side of marketing. No one on their entire staff has any real sales management experience, and all are just schooled in Adwhore 101 liberal Arts college courses.

Not surprising they'd leave the back door open for peddling privacy and credit info to the IAB/DMA perps.... while claiming to be the bastion for privacy protection. Talk about double standards. Google pays 1.6 billion for Youtube, which it 100% privacy invasive, while hyping the Adwords/Checkout ROI marriage as a savior from the Adwhore plots. Ethics and advertising is like mixing oil & water and claiming they won't seperate..
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    That is a really good observation. Usually, the have 2-3 pages of T&C that not everybody will read it, including myself. Just click, click, OK-OK, submit.

"You also authorize us to obtain from time to time a credit report"

They are not in the banking or finance biz (yet) so i guess they are laying the ground work before they go in. Can't understand about YouTube too cos of all the privacy laws. They are big enough and have lawyers to fend off any lawsuits.. after all, they are just sitting on lots and lots of cash.

Yeesh. I rarely read them, unless I"m partnering up with some type of business, in which case I do. I guess it's a sign of the times...if you're not careful, you'll be signing away your first born in a few years, and never know it...

How is a credit report obtained? Is it through your social security number?

Doesn't it also affect your credit rating when there are inquirees(?) made?

Sorry for all the newbie type questions. I try and stay away from all that. I don't like being judged by big corps/prospective employers whether I'm worthy of something becuase of how I choose to pay my bills.

Mortgages and car loans I can understand, anything else they can kiss off.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

That's insane that Google has that much control on folks who don't pay attention. I have always had a slight fear that Google knows way too much about me - this is exactly the reason I never went with direct deposit for Adsense Revenue - I didn't want them to have my address, bank account number, etc. all in one tidy file.

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    How is a credit report obtained? Is it through your social security number?
    You would think so, but I am not sure that matters so much anymore. I was in Target the other day and made a $30 purchase, paid with my Checking Account Debit/Credit card. As the cashier handed me a receipt she said that I am pre-approved for a Target Credit Card.

How do they approve me when I have never given them my SSN?

The same thing has happened to me at Sam's Club and Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    Doesn't it also affect your credit rating when there are inquirees(?) made?
    I think you are only affected if there are a lot of inquiries in a small amount of time. It doesn't really affect your credit score, but it does affect the creditor's decision factor. The concept is that if you are requesting a lot of credit at once, you may be having trouble with cash flow.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

Thanks...It is scary if you think about how much information is out there on you...

Maybe Googles TOS is standard? Do any of the others such as 2CO(if they're still around) have these terms.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I would bet this is there way of getting into a credit card biz of some type. As part of Google Checkout they will offer a Bill Me Later option where they take on the credit risk.

Just a guess. (But still slimy to just stick it deep in the T&Cs!)
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Doesn't it also affect your credit rating when there are inquiries made?
    I read somewhere that each "hard" inquiry (like if you apply for credit) takes about 5 points off the score. At 5 points, one check won't make a big difference in creditworthiness--it's when there's a lot that they all add up.

But most prospective creditors also take into account your overall situation, what kind of credit was applied for, whether you actually got the credit you applied for, etc. I say "most" because there's always going to be some clod out there who doesn't want to think and just goes by the numbers...

In any case, it's none of Google's damned business!

I don't like being judged by big corps/prospective employers whether I'm worthy of something becuase of how I choose to pay my bills.
    Just tell any empl*yers that if you had 2c of credit left, you'd be using it to finance staying unemployed! LOLOL
    (No I never really told any that. But then, I never had any tell me they wanted to check my credit, either! I guess all my ex-empl*yers cared about was whether I was breathing LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by kmkimmo
    How do they approve me when I have never given them my SSN?
    I get lots of these pre-approved offers in the snail-mail, and here's how those work (it's in the ultra-fine gray type on the back of most of them, but some put it on one of several seperate papers in the envelope):

You're Approved for up to $50,000!* ** (asterisks explained in some hard-to-see spot in what would be about font size 0.25)

* Minimum credit line is $200
    ** This approval was based on a consumer profile (or from a mailing list a credit reporting agency sold them, without giving them your actual credit report).
    A current credit report will be pulled to make sure you still qualify for this offer.

That second line makes it all work for them. You send in the acceptance, with your SSN filled in--and then they get your actual credit report. If it sucks ultra-majorly, you don't qualify for that offer after all. If it sucks, but not ULTRA bad, you get the weenie $200 card. And if it's great, you MAY (or may NOT!) get an amount worth bothering with.

That way, practically everyone is eligible to overextend themselves! And to pay any yearly fees they have (if any)! Woohoo!!!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread