How to prepare for a traffic surge?
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some tips on what I should do to prepare for a sudden traffic swell. I'm about to place an ad on a site that I expect will send me some significant visitor numbers, but I want to make sure I'm up to the task and that my site doesn't crash! Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I figure I should have all my bases covered just in case.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    I would go test drive a new shiny red sports car (sorry I couldn't resist).

http and a telephoto
    Talk to your hosting company and warn them you may see a spike. Good luck!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Make sure the server you are on can handle the surge you are expecting. If you are on a hosting company server this will be difficult because they stuff thousands of site into one server. You may have to move to a dedicated server.

If you are on a dedicated server you may have to increase the bandwitch surge limit to accomodate your possible surge.

well..most obvious tips is buy extra bandwitch ---it worth cost u extra buck around $5 for about 10GB?

15 years and counting
    Gingerbread - I'm about to place an ad on a site that I expect will send me some significant visitor numbers
    Maybe you can test the ad first.
    How many visits are you expecting? Many good hosting cies can handle the load.
    Quite often the sudden traffic swell doesn't come. Don't buy a dedicated server, yet. Paid advertising could be dissapointing.

You may be right, Zeus...I'm not exactly sure what to expect, so I'm not going to go the dedicated server route at this point. I may end up with just a few extra visitors, after all

Thanks for the tips everyone! We're going to do a test this afternoon, so we'll see what happens.

P.S. CanadianDave, you got me there

if your expecting a big bump in traffic the first question might be how is your site constructed. Html is much more efficeint than php fed by mySQL, so yes talk to the hosting company and make sure they don't shut you down mid stream....not from bandwidth usage (more are way oversold anyway), but due to server resources.

Most companies hold you at 2% of the server CPU with less restrictions being placed on ram usage...if your built in php this will chew through the 2% fairly quick.

What is your traffic like now and what limitations do you have in the terms of service?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Must be a very good ad on a high traffic site.

If it is, I am sure you are paying a pretty penny for it. I can see why you would be concerned.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

The best thing you can do is load test it. If you have some good techs have them find some load testing tools. You can automate testing various numbers of request and capture performance information about the HTTP responses.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    The best thing you can do is load test it. If you have some good techs have them find some load testing tools. You can automate testing various numbers of request and capture performance information about the HTTP responses.

ya...I 100% argee with patrick

ABW Ambassador
    If your pushing the limits on a shared host then you can try a VPS which is half way between shared and dedicated. As low as $15 - $20 per month will get you a basic no thrills Virtual Private Server but be warned it takes a lot of time to set one up and you need to know what your doing or at least experiment first with a site that is not busy.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Glinted,

If you could pm me some links to the $20 VPS I'd love to check them out...i've only found decent ones starting around $35-45 with cpanel

Here is a link to how to deal with the "digg effect", or a quick surge in traffic from the digg website. The points (and nice links down at the bottom) can apply to all sorts of traffic surges too. Good luck!

http://www.fiftyfoureleven.com/weblo...he-digg-effect
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

If you've got a large database with some complicated SQL queries I suggest possibly adding more ram to your server. But if you're just dealing with static pages it's much less of a concern. If you're on a shared host there isn't too much you can do besides cache all your pages as static documents. But that's only if you're running a dynamic site with lots of SQL queries.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks guys. My site is just plain old HTML/CSS, so sounds like I should be okay. Traffic to this site has been quite low up until this point, which is why I'm not really sure what to expect.

In any case, we did a test yesterday (this is a friend's site that I'm placing the ad on), and not much happened, sadly!

Anyways, now I know what to do going forward. The Digg effect article is a keeper.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread