Talking Has anyone here been to (or lived in) Japan?
    I'm curious as to what you think of the place (in general, or specifics).

Although I was raised in Korea for the first couple years of my life, I've always held a strong fascination for Japan, its culture, and language. In fact, it is one of the main reasons why I want so bad to be able to succeed in this business - to leave myself free time to move there and enjoy it at its fullest (without the hassles of a 'job').

Any one care to share?

ABW Ambassador
    MoneyBusiness,

I have been to Japan a few times and I am intrigued by your question because I don't think that I could ever think of Japan and not think of work. So your idea of "retiring" in Japan is something that never occured to me. All I remember is either working very hard or trying to keep up with my Japanese co-workers playing really hard!
    Last edited by CanadianDave; October 12th, 2006 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typed too fast

hehe - I've worked long enough in an office (or at least as much as I care to). The whole motivation behind the affiliate work is to allow myself freedom, to work wherever I please, and not have to be tied down to any one location.

Japan has always been on my list, but I want to reach my first goal before going for that one!

How long were you there?

I had the privilege of visiting Japan last year and it was a great experience. The people are very nice but a little shy towards foreigners. Unfortunately they don't know English very well, so you'll probably spend a lot of time making hand gestures. I visited Kyoto and Osaka, but didn't have a chance to visit Tokyo. I loved Universal Studios Osaka and can't wait to go back for Disneyland and DisneySea in Tokyo. As you might be able to tell I'm a theme park junkie, so Japan is a great place for fellow connoisseurs.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I've been studying the culture and language for a little while now, and will be for some time to come. I can already imagine what my first visit there will be like (full of hand gestures and mispoken words too).. lol.

My mother was korean, and knew the language as well as Japanese (from her parents). So, I've got a very small start...now it's up to me to get the rest.

I was lucky enough to visit last summer and it was a wonderful experience.

Of course, I didn't really know the language, but everyone there new of Hideki Matsui, so as soon as they heard I was from New York people would pretend to swing a bat and say "Yankees".

I'd love to visit again sometime. The food was just amazing.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Tax Paying Member
    I have spent some time in Tokyo. Loved it. I would not want to live there for ever, but a year or 2 would be very nice. The country is so alive.

I found that most of the people were very friendly, just like the USA. Where ever you go there is the chance that an AHole will get in the way. In the smaller towns where tourist rarely go, I was like a celebretity to the school kids. They wanted to talk and to shake hands.

I found that English is taught in most schools and they jump at the chance to speak it.

Don't turn your back to one of them when he is talking to you. I did(on purpose)..............Crapola hit the fan...LOL

I was not on a sponsored tour, therefore I lived and ate with the locals. Eating with the locals is a ....challange.. I slept on the floor in some places, rode the city bus and walked a lot. A friend of mine was there at the same time and he was on a government sponsored tour, stayed at the Hilton..ate steak at least once per day and his eggs were fried. We saw 2 different Japans.

I was also able to visit most of the big cities on the main island along with a number of smaller places. The country is beautifull.

They do like Americans, but they are becomming Americanized.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    They do like Americans, but they are becomming Americanised.
    Although I haven't been there, I've been noticing that as well. It's unfortunate, to tell you the truth. In fact, there seems to be a huge population of "us" wannabes in a lot of countries...and I can't figure out why they desire that.

edit: maybe it's the whole sex, drugs, violence thing (that we show so well on tv) that is alluring to some people...who knows.

Thanks for sharing so far...very much enjoy what you guys are saying!

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Although I haven't been there, I've been noticing that as well. It's unfortunate, to tell you the truth. In fact, there seems to be a huge population of "us" wannabes in a lot of countries...and I can't figure out why they desire that.

edit: maybe it's the whole sex, drugs, violence thing (that we show so well on tv) that is alluring to some people...who knows.

They have a more open attitude about sex than we do. I saw places in Osaka that reminded me of the old days on 42nd street in NY. Street hawkers and all.

It is my understanding that they ride very hard on the drug use and trade. They take the problem seriously. Their policemen are real and are supported by the politicians.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ohio Gozimus MB
    MB,

So you are learning Japanese eh? Good for you!! Nyhongo ga wa ka ti mas ka? ( do you speak / understand Japanese?) Ana ta wa Amerika gin dis? (Are you an American?) Nyhongo ga scosi wakatimas. ( I understand a little Japanese) Demo mata - jo zu ja adi ma sen (but I am not very good - I am just learning).. I've been slowly learning Japanese the past year also.

My middle son Zach, who is also on the board here is married to a wonderful girl from Fukuoka, Japan - Mari Adachi (in Japanese Mari is pronounced Ma - D) They got married almost four years ago in an outdoor Cowboy theme wedding. Her mom, Dad, sister, friend and uncle Toshimitsu came and they are absolutely wonderful people!! (love em)

Mari's dad, Seichi (say ee chee) is a country and western musician. He plays steel guitar and has a C & W band in Fukuoka. He is a Hank Williams Sr nut!

I was going to donate my drums to a local high school (got over them after 39 years) and Seichi asked Mari if I could hold on to them until after the wedding because he was bringing his guitar and wanted to do four songs together at the reception. Of course, I agreed.

When they arrived at our home, as is their culture, they brought gifts for each of us. Ellen and I got this beautiful Sake set (pronounced Sah 'K - not sockey) We all sat at the dining room table and Mari and Zachs best man (CoGi) translated for us all. At one point early on, I noticed Seichi, Mari's mom Yoshiko, Mari's sister De-a, and uncle Toshimitsu just kind of gazing at us. Then, Seichi said through Mari - "you all look like movie stars to us, we are so happy to be here with you." It warmed my heart.

As it turned out, a young man that worked with me back then also plays guitar, and my wife's brother plays, so we had a full band. Seichi sang "Love me tender" in english and it was awesome - especially when he does not speak english!! We had also sent them Christmas gifts the year before and for Seichi we bought a nice Stetson, rope tie and stylin country western shirt. He wore them all to the wedding and it was so neat to see. Toshimitsu also had bought a black stetson when they got here - so they were lookin good!!!

The wedding was outside next to the Platte river, and the reception was held under a huge canopy on the grounds. The place was beautiful, and of course the menu was BBQ!! Mari - complete with her beautiful white wedding gown and stetson hat walked up the isle - and Zach and his best man Cogi rode in our our horses. Poor Cogi - I had just given him a basic intro lesson the day before - and I could see as he and Zach trotted in that poor Cogi was bouncing the family jewels pretty hard in the saddle. The look on his face said it all!

It was a great wedding, and a life time memory for all of us. As for visiting Japan.....

Zach and Mari spent three weeks in Japan this past Christmas, or I should say they ate their way through Japan for three weeks... lol We've seen hundreds of pictures and an hour video of their trip. (did I mention that the Japanese are fond of cameras?)

I'll bring your post to Zachs attention and maybe he can offer some suggestions for you. Keep studying that Japanese MB. Ja Ma ta (see you later)

Soyonara
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I visited Japan with my husband a while back. We found things were expensive, especially in and around Tokyo but the food was just amazing. It was a business trip, so we were lucky enough to meet and get to know a lot of Japanese people. Very polite, very nice. I would love to visit again.

My sister went there last year and when she came back, she had taken 400 digital pictures, and about 90% of them were pictures of food

I love this thread! I thought I'd post some pictures from my trip...

Most of these are from Utsunomiya, a small city about 3 hours north of Tokyo in the Tochigi provence. That is where I stayed for my month long visit.

The first picture is a nice lake in the national forest area of Nikko. The second is a scene from one of the festivals we got to attend in downtown Utsunomiya.

Hope you like em!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    MB,

So you are learning Japanese eh? Good for you!! Nyhongo ga wa ka ti mas ka? ( do you speak / understand Japanese?)
    Watashi wa nihongo ga skoshi wakarimas!

Great post...very interesting! I hope they're all doing well. May have to pick your and your son's brain for info later!!

Ja mata,

Vic

Quote Originally Posted by mandalamoon
    I visited Japan with my husband a while back. We found things were expensive...
    You should look at the housing prices...it's STEEP.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    I love this thread! I thought I'd post some pictures from my trip...

Most of these are from Utsunomiya, a small city about 3 hours north of Tokyo in the Tochigi provence. That is where I stayed for my month long visit.

The first picture is a nice lake in the national forest area of Nikko. The second is a scene from one of the festivals we got to attend in downtown Utsunomiya.

Hope you like em!
    Oh mannn...very nice pictures. Making me want to hurry my progress and get there quicker!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    [QUOTE=MoneyBusiness]Watashi wa nihongo ga skoshi wakarimas!

Great post...very interesting! I hope they're all doing well. May have to pick your and your son's brain for info later!!

Ja mata,

Vic

Any time MB. Mari's dad called her last night and asked her to pick up more C & W shirts for his band. They are playing just about every weekend somewhere. It's a big switch from his stationary and office supply store. But heck yes, pick away any time and I'm sure Zach and Mari can assist.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    looks like i have to visit there soon

lucky lucky.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Hey, for those of you interested, I've found a pretty informative site a couple of weeks ago (it is FULL of info): http://www.japan-guide.com/

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread