Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    Snow :)
    My daughter just called from that place I used to call home (almost midnight her time too)... Rochester NY... just to tell me they are having their first official snowfall of the year.... and I got to tell her the weather here: 70 and clear....

Looking forward to a snow free winter.... my first one EVER.... my only hurdle is NYC in early November, but I will trust the snow gods to stay away until after Thanksgiving....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I'm dreaming of a 70 degree Christmas.
    lol - enjoy it too Deb.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Don't drive I-80 in November unless you want to spend a few days in Wyoming at the National Guard Armory. Free Red Cross blankets and sandwiches. Don't even think about a hotel room.

http and a telephoto
    I plan on staying right here in the southwest for the winter... no crazy driving ANY where there might be snow...
    Deborah Carney

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Brrr brr brrr! Sn*w, wretched worthless stuff!

It sn*wed a tad here Thursday morning--a dreadful sight. Not enough to stay on the ground or kill the plants, thankfully, but it was so cold that it stayed frozen onto the car hood until I drove it and got some engine heat under the stuff. And, weather.com says it's 34F right now--with a windchill of 24F!

Geesh, it's hardly FALL yet! It shouldn't be doing this here so soon! Who gave W*nter an express ticket down from the Arctic?!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Don't drive I-80 in November unless you want to spend a few days in Wyoming at the National Guard Armory. Free Red Cross blankets and sandwiches. Don't even think about a hotel room.
    LOL

I did that in early November a number of years ago. Stayed the night in Rock Springs, it snowed, and presto - I-80 was closed all the way to Rawlins - and I of course was heading in that direction.

Being a rebel and not wanting to wait, found a "back road" that more or less paralleled the interstate and hopped onto I-80 at a ranch exit (no gate on these ramps to block access).

Was an interesting ride. Snow wasn't that bad, but damn, nearly 100 miles of ice! With hindsight, probably not the worlds smartest things I've done. Road would be more or less clear for miles, then black ice would be everywhere for miles on end. There were also trucks off the road literally everywhere - some flipped over, others just hanging off the side of the road at odd angles, and yet others where the cab was in the median while the trailer was hanging out in the middle of the road.

Apparently the ice storm caused all these accidents. The Wyoming HIghway Patrol then closed the road and "rescued" all the stranded drivers. They apparently hadn't gotten around yet to clearning up the road of all the stranded/broken down vehicles - since the road was icy and probably not safe for tow trucks.

It was quite the ride all in all. Didn't see a cop, either - rather surprisingly and probably rather fortunately in hindsight!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    My daughter just called from that place I used to call home (almost midnight her time too)... Rochester NY... just to tell me they are having their first official snowfall of the year....
    WOW!! It isn't even yet snowing in St. Petersburg, Russia (where days are only about 6 hours long now)!

I love snow.

Geno

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    We got snow already too. There is about an inch or so on the ground this morning. This is early for us to get snow that sticks.

Just curious if anyone on here has any idea how travel usually is this time of year across 94/90 from MI to Idaho (McCall area)?

My husband and 2 others are leaving tonight and heading out there for a 10 day stay, camping in the mountains.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Snow already? We haven't even finished stacking our firewood! I'm never quite prepared for winter, especially winters in upstate New York.

Deb if there's anyone in Rochester you want to see you'll have to make them come to you. You do get snow in the mountains there, don't you?

Aww man...I love snow. Rarely get a year with snow in NC. I had my best years in Chicago and North Dakota, where snow was almost a given every year...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I love snow.
    I love it too.

When it stays in ALASKA!!!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Just for you Deb :)

Just something not quite right about this picture - LOL but this is how it looks outside my window this morning
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Nice one, Heidi!

How big is that pool?

Geno

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    You do get snow in the mountains there, don't you?
    Yes, but it's FAR away... People here go to see it, but I don't have it in my yard... And I can drive 30 mins south and be in the Mojave if snow gets too close....

I can drive in blizzards, and on ice, and in the crappiest conditions there are, and I have spent my share of days and nights wrapped in a blanket by the fireplace...

And I am looking forward to NONE of that this year
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    >>We haven't even finished stacking our firewood!

That reminds me to find the REMOTE that turns on the gas thingy in the wall.

The pool is around 20,000 gallons of water Cuz i waited so long to call, the pool guys can't get here til October 20th to close it, gonna be a mess to clean up next spring with all the leaves in there - ah well.. serves me right for procrastinating - LOL

Deb - I just heard Batavia is closed down this morning cuz of the snow - They got like 18" of snow!
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...9-060C21084761

got a little bit near Buffalo last night . . .

Two feet! Schnikie. 155,000 lost power too. I hope they have lots of fireplaces and candles.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    Candles, oil lamps, fireplaces.....

If I lose power here, I just can't work for the day... but it doesn't mean I'm snowed in and cold!!!!! I feel bad for all the folks without power, spent MORE than my share of days in the cold without heat and power.... (no cracks about not paying the bills!!!!)

During the big ice storm of 1991 (? or 1992) my ex was without power for a week and lived in the living room heated by the wood stove. I was in the city at my sisters, both my sisters and all nine of our combined kids camped out at her house, plus assorted cats and dogs... that was fun that I don't need to repeat either My car had a tree on it's roof, I tried to back up out from under it and it stayed frozen to the car!!!! My sister almost died laughing at me....
    Deborah Carney

[QUOTE=loxly]Candles, oil lamps, fireplaces.....

During the big ice storm of 1991 (? or 1992)

I'm too young to remember that one Deb!!

Three years ago in March we had a storm up here that dumped 6 - 7 feet of snow on us in 36 hours. What a mess!! We were snowed in without power for a couple days - but we made the most of it. Fortunately we have a generator, and some propane heaters, several propane lanterns and all the camping conveniences!! lol

I remember the ice storm of 1991 - I was working at A+ Mini Market then and I still had to report to work - fights at the gas pumps with all the people trying to get gas for their generators. I just wanted to smack the crap out of those people since I was in a situation where nobody I knew had heat so the warmest place I could be was at work - it was not fun!

I have some really cool black & white pictures that I took during that time though.
    Heidi

lol - just picturing someone getting the crap smacked out of them by the clerk at the A+ Mini Mart!!

Apu is alive and well!!!

Got our first snow here in Chicago too yesterday. Here we go...it is officially winter until May!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

It's funny, I've lived here in San Diego for over 11 years now, where for the most part, it's always fells like spring or summer. But I find myself missing the seasons...and cold weather...and snow...

....then I go away for a weekend up to Big Bear in the mountains and snow...and get over that feeling real quick!

79, sunnny and beautiful today.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

No snow here, nor am I counting on any this winter. It's still in the mid to upper 80's in these parts. Sometimes I wish it would snow just so I can make a snowman for once.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast