Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is baby adopting by the celebs a new fad now?
    First there was Angelina, now Madonna. As much as I'd like to believe they're doing this truly for the sake of the child, I have a sneaking suspicion that it is no such thing.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...=Entertainment

Things like this kind of burn me up sometimes...(ranting)...

ABW Ambassador
    Well, they want the child to be adopted within the same community, except they're not getting adopted or they wouldn't be there.

"As much as I'd like to believe they're doing this truly for the sake of the child, I have a sneaking suspicion that it is no such thing."

What do you think the motive is?

Reading the story some more and if it's correct info, the father and grandmother don't have a problem with it:

"Madonna has adopted a one-year-old Malawian boy whose mother died a month after childbirth, the baby's father claimed Tuesday, saying he was happy his son was escaping poverty."

"I am the father of David, who has been adopted," Banda, 32, told The Associated Press Tuesday. "I am very very happy because as you can see there is poverty in this village and I know he will be very well looked after in America."
    "The child's grandmother, Asinei Mwale, said she learned about the adoption from Chipeta.

"The director of the orphanage came here yesterday and told us that David has been adopted by a famous American singer," Mwale said. "I am very glad for him because having grown up as an orphan myself, I know how tough life can be."

She funds projects over there for AIDS.
    Last edited by Trust; October 13th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.

Motive? Infertility perhaps....a side effect of those drugs they take that make them famous.

Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Motive? Infertility perhaps....a side effect of those drugs they take that make them famous.

She has 2 children of her own, ones she gave birth to.

I know I know, but it is really the only thing I could think of!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    What do you think the motive is?

For one, to get the spotlight. and two, likely b/c someone else was doing it, and got a lot of attention. Probably not much different than buying the latest fashions, designer dogs, getting married to whoever is hot at the moment, you name it.

And why they have to adopt a kid from far away, and different nationality beats me (when we have more than plenty who need help everyday in our own country).

I am usually a glass half full kind of guy (and try not to judge), but when I read things like that, I can't help but get suspicious as to the true intentions...

"She funds projects over there for AIDS."

I'm not going to debate that one, because whether the money is PR-related or not, it's still helpful.
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; October 13th, 2006 at 04:08 PM.

You think she's willing to take responsibility for a human life just to get attention?

When you've got money, what can't you do? Do you see Madonna, the mother, hanging out with her baby like a mother should, or touring and such while a team of "professional nannies" minds the baby?

Right or wrong, I wouldn't have a clue as to whether they are treating their "adopted" children correctly. But it definitely is something that is a trend:

http://adoptgazette.wordpress.com/20...rity-adoption/

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    When you've got money, what can't you do? Do you see Madonna, the mother, hanging out with her baby like a mother should, or touring and such while a team of "professional nannies" minds the baby
    We don't see Madonna, so we wouldn't know. We don't know how she lives her everyday life. She might be able to spend more time with her kids than most parents do because she doesn't have to work, she has all the time in the world. She probably spends more quality time with her kids than the average parent. And her lifestyle might not be normal to most of us but she's isn't like most of us and what is "normal" for people can vary greatly. I don't see a problem with the adoptions. Nobody else is adopting those kids. Having both parents and a nice life is the ideal but not the reality for everybody. If the choice is growing up in extreme poverty in an orphanage or having Madonna adopt you, I'll take Madonna.

I guess what is confusing me on this one is that the dad is in on it. If the father is in the picture, why is the kid in an orphanage in the first place? I guess he thinks that the kid will have a better life with her, but doesn't that sort of amount to baby selling?

Sheri

lil lap dogs just aren't enough anymore

Yes, all we know and see is what the media puts out there. And you know they pick things just to make a story, even if it gives the wrong idea. I saw her last documentary and her kids were very smart and seemed very happy.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    I guess what is confusing me on this one is that the dad is in on it. If the father is in the picture, why is the kid in an orphanage in the first place? I guess he thinks that the kid will have a better life with her, but doesn't that sort of amount to baby selling?

Sheri
    Kind of like adoption here. Young girl has a child, gives it up for adoption because they feel the child will have a better life that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    This is in Africa, not the US. There is so much poverty. Also, he wants a good life for his child, which he doesn't feel he can provide.

We don't see Madonna, so we wouldn't know.
    Don't disagree with you, and everything I've said is based on judgement, although I believe there is something behind what I've said (otherwise it seems that a lot of celebrities are: a) barren b) have a extreme desire to adopt.

If the choice is growing up in extreme poverty in an orphanage or having Madonna adopt you, I'll take Madonna.
    Well now, from that perspective, who would turn it down? Here's the thing, there's the "reasoning" behind it, then there's the "outcome". It's the reasoning that I'm annoyed with. Do you honestly think that I'd like to see a child continue to grow up in poverty? No. Do you think they're doing it for the right reasons though? I don't.

But, you are right, as long as the child is out of poverty and loaded with money - it is a better situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    Yes, all we know and see is what the media puts out there. And you know they pick things just to make a story, even if it gives the wrong idea. I saw her last documentary and her kids were very smart and seemed very happy.
    I'm not going to disagree with you either...b/c you're right, the media does show things from their perspective...but even your last sentence is based on that as well: "I saw her last documentary". Heck, I'm sure Michael Jackson's veiled kids and "friends" all looked happy at one point or another...

ABW Ambassador
    "For one, to get the spotlight. and two, likely b/c someone else was doing it, and got a lot of attention."

See there is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree on. I have no idea why. But spotlight, I'm not sure. She's Madonna, she's never had a problem getting the spotlight. And spotlight for what? Maybe she's doing it for all the right reasons and the spotlight is going to come with it. That's part of celebrity, people are automatically assume that kind of thing. And if this spotlight brings attention to people that there are kids that need adopting regardless of race and if that somehow translates to more kids getting adopted, that's not a bad thing. Also I don't know if it's a fad. Maybe it seems that way because 2 very well known celebrities have done it recently. Tom Cruise has had adopted kids for many years now. I'm sure plenty more celebs have adopted kids as well.

Just took a quick look at the blog you linked too about it being a fad:

"But its not just a recent phenomenon Mia Farrow adopted children from poverty-stricken countries, including Korea and Vietnam, in the 1970s."

Nothing new.

Celebs adopting from the U.S.
    "Hollywood stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, Sharon Stone and Michelle Pfeiffer have all adopted children in America."

See there is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree on.
    I know this post is a matter of opion/judgement more than anything else. Fair enough - thanks for joining in though!

And if this spotlight brings attention to people that there are kids that need adopting regardless of race and if that somehow translates to more kids getting adopted, that's not a bad thing.
    Ok, I can't resist. The following isn't meant to be a direct comparison (and is a bit of a crude comparison), but when Men In Black (2 I think) came out, and Frankie The Pug made his appearance, do you know what happened? Pug adoptions spiked very high...then after the fad and excitement wore off, guess what happened? Neglect as well as shelters taking in a lot of pugs...

of course it's different with kids...but it doens't always mean the kids are better off b/c more kids are being adopted after people see the same with the celebs...

Alright..I've said my peace!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that's probably not the best comparison. Don't recall any celebrities returning their adopted kids because the "fad" wore off

Maybe she felt connected to that child in someway and had the means to give the child a better life and acted on it. And I'm sure she talked to her husband about it too. And this one isn't a done deal yet either.

No of course not, but they can be neglected...

Maybe she felt connected to that child in someway and had the means to give the child a better life and acted on it. And I'm sure she talked to her husband about it too.
    Fair enough.

FanDamnTastic!
    Another child is saved ... shouldn't that be the point?
    Publicity = folks trying to sell a publication.
    Publicity Seeking = intent .... but nobody knows the intent -> could be sincere and I don't see an adoption selling records or the need for publicity?
    Popularity = awareness. Perhaps a high profile persons actions initiated it but it doesn't define it as a selfish action.
    What ticks me off with the article is selfishness ... better to lose all than save one at a time???
    "Yiga is one of a growing number of child welfare advocates who fear high profile adoptions undermine efforts to keep African children within their own communities."

"Yiga also says providing help for a select few ignores the greater AIDS and poverty crisis of African children."

I don't care for her but ... who is it seemingly seeking publicity and who is it that is trying to help?
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

Madonna publicist mum on reports of adoption

Wow...well, got what I wanted...somewhat of a debate. Thought it would be more of an even one, but it looks like I'm the minority here. Regardless...I enjoyed it...things like this tick me off and not enough opportunities to argue it..

I know that being a celebrity comes with "The Media". I don't think it's right that a celebrity can't do a damn think without having their every move watched. When they do something that not everyone can do, because they have money, it becomes a big debate for everyone, whether they did it because thats what they want to do or for the media. The media goes after celebs for stories, not the other way around. O.K. Not usually.

Well, in the media here today (Madge lives in the UK much of the time) was that she couldn't leave with the baby as she didn't sort the passport out and thought her celebrity status would wave the magic wand. So she came back and left the baby there for now - didn't wait a few day it seems - far too important.

If it was for the most noble of reasons, why the publicity? Surely a mega-celeb wanting a child to be brought up normally would do it discretely, how many other celebs make sure their kids have NO kind of publicity at all?

There are plenty of kids in the US and UK needing adopting, but I guess there would be less razz from the press.

I've recently started to sponsor a 4 year old in Tanzania for basic needs - 20 a month, Madge's flights alone would have dealt with 10 or more kids from birth to age 18 in a similar way.

I don't think it's just about doing something - the value and depth of what you do matters too. A greater difference could be made to the community by supporting them in situ than this cargo-cultist high-publicity event.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast