This was just sent to me - links removed. presumably not to be taken by anyone under 20!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hello, support@xxxx.com

As seen on NBC, CBS, and CNN, and even Oprah! The health
    discovery that actually reverses aging while burning fat,
    without dieting or exercise! This proven discovery has even
    been reported on by the New England Journal of Medicine.
    Forget aging and dieting forever! And it's Guaranteed!

* Reduce body fat and build lean muscle WITHOUT EXERCISE!
    * Enhace sexual performance
    * Remove wrinkles and cellulite
    * Lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol profile
    * Improve sleep, vision and memory
    * Restore hair color and growth
    * Strengthen the immune system
    * Increase energy and cardiac output
    * Turn back your body's biological time clock 10-20 years
    in 6 months of usage !!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, HGH as extracted from dead people.

Oh! Uck! :eek:

Reminds me of the medicine shows of the late 1800s where hucksters were always pushing some sort of snake oil - usually something with a high alcohol percentage. 130 years and countless technological advances later, life has not changed very much, has it?

That said, yes, it is possible to get almost all of these benefits (well, can't do anything about the hair loss). Here's how:
    1. Exercise (and don't let anybody tell you different)
    2. A sensible diet with lots of vegetables, fruit and lean protein - go easy on the sweets and eat whole grains for your starchy carbs
    3. Sunscreen and a high-quality facial mosturizer

I write about fitness and have a certification as a fitness trainer, so I know whereof I speak.

I'd be surprised if commercial HGH is extracted from dead people (though I haven't checked it out). It would be far more economical to attach some highly active promoter to the HGH gene in a nice bacterial vector and grow tons of the stuff and then just purify it from the bacteria.

Dead people are expensive. And I don't recall how stable hGH is once necrosis has set in.

Think I'll continue having a great time, everything in moderation...well most things, and hang out for re-incarnation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I was wondering where vegetarians stand on this?

I mean we don't eat animals. But I would have no objection to wearing something feathery if it kinda dropped out of a tree one day having lived its full lifespan and wanted to be a feather boa now, or something.

I'm thinking I'm being too fussy though. In nature animals kill and eat each other all the time. This is no different.

Perhaps this stuff is OK so long as the people it came from weren't kept in cramped cages with their claws and beaks removed and force-fed hormones. And were allowed to run round in fields every day and had a proper quality of life before being harvested.

I

ABW Ambassador
    I think webmistres is correct. It is not Human growth hormone - far too expensive to extract from corpses and not enough supply. Also have not checked but gene technology you mention is a probable answer (which kind of makes it not HGH). Alternatively it could be a substance which stimulates the release for natural HGH from the pituitary gland. I think this last choice is most likely as it would then be almost certainly safe (for people who have stopped growing at least - we wouldn't want lots of giants now would we?) whereas injections of HGH would not. I would think the only way of getting real HGH (from corpses or bacteria) into the blood would be injections as pepsin in the stomach would digest any orally taken protein.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread