Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Exclamation (When I find proof) - Anyone know how to set up nameservers in Plesk?
    I obviously sure as hell dont! LOL. Can't seem to find anything understandable telling me how either. Ill paypal anyone $50 right now who can go in the account and set up a nameserver for an account.

Im sure if they knew what they were doing it would only take a few minutes.

Hi dsteitz,

I have used Plesk for many years. Eventhough I do not recommend setting up your DNS / Nameserver on the same server as your web server, I can help you with this if you like.

Avoid this Character at all Costs!
    Im certain it was you.

Why did you bring it on yourself to use the info I sent you to try and take over the entire server?

You shut down a bunch of other people's servers and caused a whole bunch of damage.

Now Ive been denied the service as a security risk.

Hope you are proud of yourself.

It has to be you because you are the only person I sent the logon info to, and I have hundreds of other sites and a dozen other hosts that have not been tampered with so there is almost no chance of compromise on my end.

Also the simple fact that whoever did this had to be well versed in Plesk.

You are the only person who had the password and the knowledge likely to do what you did.

It simply had to of been you.

Also the person used my ip via some proxy to do their hacking.

Only you would of had my ip from the email I sent along with the log on details.

I would not trust you to have anything to do with nothing on affiliate lines on the level you are from.

I made an honest offer to you and instead you used the information I gave you for your friday night entertainment.

What a jerk.

Hope you are proud as you should hope I never run into you.

A search for the following on google shoul dlink you to a few tutorials:

"dns setup" plesk

Well I figured it out but it does'nt matter now. Thanks anyway.

I'd much rather be kicking someone's @ss at this point.

Internet Cowboy
    Can we undeniably determine that Andrew hacked your server or did something malicious? If so, this is an issue as he is trusted to claim a percentage of commissions. If he will hack someone's server, he will take commissions.
    Please contact him and get to the bottom of this either here or in private. You made a very strong accusation and if it is true it needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    Im certain it was you.

Why did you bring it on yourself to use the info I sent you to try and take over the entire server?

You shut down a bunch of other people's servers and caused a whole bunch of damage.

Now Ive been denied the service as a security risk.

Hope you are proud of yourself.

It has to be you because you are the only person I sent the logon info to, and I have hundreds of other sites and a dozen other hosts that have not been tampered with so there is almost no chance of compromise on my end.

Also the simple fact that whoever did this had to be well versed in Plesk.

You are the only person who had the password and the knowledge likely to do what you did.

It simply had to of been you.

Also the person used my ip via some proxy to do their hacking.

Only you would of had my ip from the email I sent along with the log on details.

I would not trust you to have anything to do with nothing on affiliate lines on the level you are from.

I made an honest offer to you and instead you used the information I gave you for your friday night entertainment.

What a jerk.

Hope you are proud as you should hope I never run into you.

Yes
    Albeit in my opinion.

I would not be so easy to make such a statement.

He tried to cover his tracks but sometimes a bunch of little pictures can make a big one.

His choice of timing was bad.

Other than myself the password was disclosed to no one else but him.

The person who did the hacking went so far as to use my ip. He had that from the email I sent him with the user/passwords.

The hacking stopped when I changed the password the following day.

The person who did was from my sources, "Very Skilled in Plesk". So if the password was stolen from him an additional coincidence of the thief being skilled in Plesk would be necessary.

The only other people around working customer service at the time did not even know enough about Plesk to even help me with simple DNS, much less the skill to do what this guy did.

Plus I called him on the telephone and caught his vibe. Claimed late Monday afternoon to of not checked his email since last Friday due to some flooding in the Houston area? "Price of Fish in Boliva". I can't see guys like this going 3 days with not checking their email...and agian I called him on the phone and although only heard an auditory response, I smelt guilt and deception.

If I was the source of a vulnerability, Why has not any of my other dozen hosting accounts been affected? Why was it not messed with up until the point I emailed him the password? Why did it stop after I changed it a day later after he did not respond?

Basically I think it was a case of some guy who could not resist doing to someone else what he either did not want to or could not experiment on himself with. I am completely unimpressed.

I am certain it was him.

Is it possible that it was not?

Sure.

In as much as a guy hovering with a blooded knife over a dead body might not be the murderer.

Still, if all so many coincidences would somehow point to my own mother, I would be no less in my opinion as to it being her.

You guys are open to think either way. Still, I do not think my own opinion to be meaningless. In the least as well this might serve as a sort of notice should he get any bright ideas when dealing with others.

Kinda sad on his part. I was not planning on sending the needed info to just anyone. His presentation appeared to be respectful enough to warrent some trust. I only had 1 domain set up on the account so far, and there was nothing of value being stored on the server. I figured paying someone 50$ for a 2 minute job to check the DNS was a good deal. I guess he figured living out his Plesk Hacking Fantasy was worth more to him than his conscious and $50.

In any case Im certain now he knows he picked the wrong person.

I can see right thru it and Ill call him on it.

Where is he anyway?

Internet Cowboy

This should be addressed and I am surprised he hasn't responded. He has been here (ABW) several times since yesterday afternoon.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Internet Cowboy
    If he maliciously hacked your server or used your IP and logon info to hack another server you need to contact the police and a good civil attorney.

I am not saying whether he did it or not, but if he did you need to get a good attorney because you have a great case. There will be a trail that can be followed if he logged in later and monkeyed with your server.

I am very curious to see how this plays out.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I am very curious to see how this plays out.

Ditto....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

15 years and counting
    I don't know the story but why somebody offering his help in public to an other member will hack his server? Mistakes are made sometimes. I screw up my servers settings more than a few times. That's a very strong accusation.

I am certain it was him.

Is it possible that it was not?

Sure.
    I don't know you or Andrew but this "rush to judgment" thing stinks. Why not calm down and give it time to play out.

I was a fisherman for over 30 years an got accused of stealing a man's net just because I went buy in my boat at the time he was setting the net. His word was that I was the only one that new where it was, and he was spreading the word that I was a thief. I wasn't!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I don't know the story but why somebody offering his help in public to an other member will hack his server? Mistakes are made sometimes. I screw up my servers settings more than a few times. That's a very strong accusation.
    I can't imagine someone trying to build an internet business for affiliates and webmasters risking it to hack a server. But I guess bigger people have done bigger things so who knows.

I think Zeus is probably on the right track here. It's easy to mess things up on a server if you don't know what you're doing.

It would be pretty stupid to publicly offer to help with a server, then hack into it with the password provided by the person you're helping.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I was very very tempted to do just that but you know what?

I just don't care to have to go thru such a process. I like to move around problems, not dwell on them, but showing up here on account of this guy I see as a civic duty of sorts.

I offered to cooperate with the web hosting company, and even suggested that they call the authorities, and even referred them to this url. They were going to shut down all my accounts as about the properties of about 40 other people were also shutdown because of this. I was just trying to get started with a new batch of sites. I know other people got hit allot worse than I did. It was a VPS account, but I gather the lamer went into the next level somehow and try to take over the whole server and was able to do malicious acts of some sort. It was intentional. They decided in the end to let me keep the other accounts I already had because I don't have a history involving anything like this.

At first they thought it was me due to the spoof that was being used but they come to see that whoever was doing it was very well versed. I bug their tech support too much for basic problems, so they know Im not knowledgable in that dept to pull this off. Im sure if push came to shove they (the authorities) can go thru all BS and everything else to the end result....a room with this guy's butt in it.

Personally I have no doubts it was this guy, but I dont want to waste my time with him except for exposing him for this....as already said, if he will do a childish and immature act like this, can he be trusted as an affiliate provider?

No.

I think some people just spend too much time coding and staring into a computer screen. They think they know it all and everyone else is an idiot. I may not be an expert on Plesk, but I'm nobody's dummy. I'm somewhat aware....least enough. Just because you can score a password and spoof your way into a server, does not mean anyone will not notice and not point the finger at you. I think this guy might understand that now. I wonder if he feels like a genius now.

I was not too quick to announce this, but I thought about it long enough. It could not of been anyone but him. period.

I wonder if he is not showing up because he plans to show up later and say his computer was hacked....

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think Zeus is probably on the right track here. It's easy to mess things up on a server if you don't know what you're doing.

It would be pretty stupid to publicly offer to help with a server, then hack into it with the password provided by the person you're helping.
    I agree and I thought about that end...but you can't rationalise what is not rational. It was friday night. Maybe we was having a few drinks and lost touch with his faculties....who knows.

Also it was not a case of hitting the wrong button. It was someone spoofing my ip and using the password (that i just changed from the one that was issued to me) going into the core of beast and screwing with it's innards in a knowing and purposeful way.

Also he offered to help yes. But I did not hear back from him. I waited less than 24 hours then changed the password again. Then the hacking stopped.

It certainly it sounding more and more malicious to me.

Somebody has some splainin to do...
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Personally I have no doubts it was this guy, but I dont want to waste my time with him except for exposing him for this....as already said, if he will do a childish and immature act like this, can he be trusted as an affiliate provider?
    This is a guy with a lot of sensitive information about a lot of peoples business.
    This is WHY this MUST be dealt with. It's not about you wasting your time with this, there NEEDS to be an investigation into this.

I don't konw you personally, but you are not the type, from your past posts that I can recall, to throw out something like this on a whim.

This is a VERY serious thing and the provider should be urged to investigate and this should be followed up on immeadiately.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    You know, this is the sort of thing that could get way out of hand if not handled properly. However, I have rather serious doubts about this accusation. Someone that is technologically advanced, first off, would not screw with your server maliciously and leave a trail back to his own IP.

I just question the validity of this accusation, and would certainly hope that more evidence would have been provided before an accusation was made.

If you are wrong, btw, you are opening yourself up to a fairly significant legal action, IMO.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Internet Cowboy
    The lack of comment from DFF does not look good.

Has anyone contacted DFF directly? The sooner this is cleared up one way or the other, the better.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I dislike this guy a lot (for other reasons), but am having a hard time believing this. Setting the nameservers, for me, is a simple task. For someone like him, an advanced programmer, it's childs play. This has got to be something like the c-panel exploit. As much as I want to, I find it hard to believe that even this guy is that stupid. He's probably out of town or something, explaining no reply here.

Donuts - he posted this morning in other threads - he has been here - so no excuse not to answer this accusation.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    good point Heidi, maybe the thread title... but Scoot posted a link here to this from their forum...

i don't get it... but something's not feeling right on this...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast