Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You Know You're Living in an Area That's Still Hicktown At Heart When...
    Tonight I was shown that despite the growth in my area, it's still a collection of hick towns (ie, rural-thinking) at its heart!

As regular readers know, I like to do things at night, or at least pretty darned "late" by most people's ideas of times. That includes shipping out my GoodBulbs orders.

Apparently, someone thought it was Very Strange that every night lately, this Mysterious Car keeps coming to the post office at about 11PM or sometimes right before the lobby shuts at midnight. And, they may have thought it was stranger yet that the Mysterious Driver carries a big black bag into the lobby (it's easier to carry the boxes that way, just one grab to move a whole bunch )

Because tonight, there was a cop staking out the place!! LOL!!!

I went in, took out one box and put it in the drop... Then when I got out the next box the cop came in, and, trying not to be obvious about it, took a real good look at me and my bag When he saw it was just a box and that there wasn't a bomb, or any mystery white powder in the bag I could see him relax a bit. Then he mailed a couple of letters and followed me out, all the time trying to pretend he "just happened" to be there at the same time! Never mind that people who only have letters to mail at 11PM just use the drive-up boxes and never walk in

I just had to share that. Around here it LOOKS like the place is getting pretty citified (well, make that suburbified), and stuff finally stays open like it ought to, but then something like this will happen and remind me that it's still small-towny after all! No real city would think it was strange that someone actually used a service that's open until midnight, at midnight! And certainly they wouldn't send a cop to check it out!!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Are you sure you're not just a little bit paranoid from using those other, umm, "garden" products? ;P ;P ;P

:doob:
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

LOL There are no weeds of potentially commercial value in my garden...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

LOL Leader
    LOL Leader, glad to hear I am not the only one not living in 24/7 town.

Its a bit of a shock to the system to move from having convenience stores and petrol (gas) available 24/7 to small towm where everything shuts at 5.30 except the petrol station which stays open until 6.30 WOW.

Looks like time to get a Good Bulbs "Night Gardener" carry bag range. But the question remains how could you be found "innocent" of posting any odd items just by a once over visual check? I don't think its paranoia to be observed but not spoken to - its just plain rude.

I do this everytime to the chickle thread!! Must learn to read first then reply!
    :Todd:

But the question remains how could you be found "innocent" of posting any odd items just by a once over visual check? I don't think its paranoia to be observed but not spoken to - its just plain rude.
    Well, the cop did say something like "Hi how are you doing?" so he tried not to be rude. But it was still obvious that he was only in there to see if I looked like I was up to something.

As for how he figured I was innocent, a lot of it is probably just the area itself, which is pretty crime-free. Maybe some paranoid had called in, and he was just checking out a report he already thought was wacky. Plus I was totally unworried about him being there. In fact, it was all I could do not to laugh!

LOL Leader, glad to hear I am not the only one not living in 24/7 town.
    It used to be that everything shut up here, and that drove me bananas.

The post office is actually in the next town over, technically speaking, but it's still the closest PO to me. In my own town, there's plenty of 24-7 gas stations and a couple of convenience stores. But, no closer post office.

What's funny is how people have apparently gotten used to the fact that these other places get customers at all hours, but someone must have thought it was Really Strange that the post office did, too!

Its a bit of a shock to the system to move from having convenience stores and petrol (gas) available 24/7 to small town where everything shuts at 5.30 except the petrol station which stays open until 6.30 WOW.
    OMG! 5:30!! What good is that?! What are they *thinking?!* That their customers are independently wealthy, and that none are at w*rk during those hours instead of shopping??
    I would soooo move; that's WAY too early for stuff to be closing.

The town in the other direction has a few small shops that close ultra-early like that, but they're not the ones who stay in business. It's funny that even now they don't realize the correlation between having their doors closed most of the time, and a lack of money in their tills! To me it's a no-brainer, if they want sales, they have to be open, and at times that people are actually free to shop!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread