Approaching Merchants to ask for affiliate status.
    I was searching and couldn't find anything on this so I figured I'd ask you pros what you've done if this has happened to you.

I LOVE to SELL, anything and everyhting; but like all of you I have topics I'm more knowlegable and interested in than others. My question is, have you ever approached a merchant who had no in house or network program and asked them to become a part of their sales process? How did you go about doing it?

I'm not a programmer, so I have little in the way of working knowledge of affiliate program operations technically speaking. There are at LEAST 10 sites off the top of my head I'd love to push toward a network or indie program and sell their stuff like ice cubes to hot eskimos, but I'm not sure how.

thanks for the replies in advance guys

ABW Ambassador
    You can just email them and tell them that they have the products that you can help sell and if they've ever considered opening up an affiliate program. And then give them some information on it.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    1) you got to have data to back it up. i.e. XYZ company open up an affiliate channel - earned $3billion in 1 year. I can help you make extra $2.8billion in 1 year.

2) Be a good salesman/lady or a good presenter. Be convincing cos all numbers are worth nothing if you can sell it.

3) Have a good reference that will able to vouch for your experience.

4) You better deliver in 1 year cos if not, you are out the door or w/o a job.

all the best.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karomesis
    I was searching and couldn't find anything on this so I figured I'd ask you pros what you've done if this has happened to you.

I LOVE to SELL, anything and everyhting; but like all of you I have topics I'm more knowlegable and interested in than others. My question is, have you ever approached a merchant who had no in house or network program and asked them to become a part of their sales process? How did you go about doing it?

I'm not a programmer, so I have little in the way of working knowledge of affiliate program operations technically speaking. There are at LEAST 10 sites off the top of my head I'd love to push toward a network or indie program and sell their stuff like ice cubes to hot eskimos, but I'm not sure how.

thanks for the replies in advance guys
    Tell them what you just told us. You will not be the first and who knows...you may be the straw that breaks the camel's proverbial back and force them to start a program. Maybe there is someone there keeping all the email requests just waiting to have enough to take to his/her boss.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

good advice guys, thanks.

Do you usually find there is a threshold with companies experiencing inquiries like these, that once it's reached they just go out and start a program?

2) Be a good salesman/lady or a good presenter. Be convincing cos all numbers are worth nothing if you can sell it.
    that's the easy part for me, the hard part is all the programming stuff.

4) You better deliver in 1 year cos if not, you are out the door or w/o a job.
    Eric, do you mean like an affiliate manager? I guess I could eventually do that, but my focus right now is on the marketing standpoint.

BTW, are you around right now to talk on the phone? I called earlier but got the voicemail.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Try calling their customer service and ask to speak with a supervisor. Ask them if they are interested in having someone sell their products for the. Customer Service is rewarded for throughput. You might hit a home run. I know that just emailing will probably get you several general response emails. Nothing beats a live voice.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread