Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Make-A-Page alternative
    Yes yes, I know. Life's a pain when Make-A-Page is down. But, there is a solution using WebMerge that's just as simple!

Attached are two documents. One is an HTML template to use in WebMerge, the other is a tutorial. Have fun!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Oh hey, one more WebMerge tip. WebMerge will spit out an error when you click "Build Pages" if your datafeed is still open in Excel, or if the WMTable.htm file is open anywhere.

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do this for those like me who are make-a-page dependant. I am excited to try this even though I don't have a clue what I will be doing. Having your guide will certainly help.

Talking
    does this work also equally well with the non-SAS version of WebMerge?

ps: package received, and thank you!

http and a telephoto
    Maybe Richard can jump in here too, what are the differences between the SAS version and the Full version? I would like to work up some Jillery templates so need to know what differences there are cause I have the full version
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It sure does. Though I have no idea why you'd want to use any other network's datafeed!!! (C'mon, I have to say that)

p.s. You're welcome.

ABW Ambassador
    Details were in the original announcement thread, but I believe the only difference is that the SAS special will only work with SAS feeds and the full, regular version will work with any.

Yup! That's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Yup! That's right!
    is good

ABW Ambassador
    Also, in the original thread Andy (don't remember who else) was offering a "deal" for putting up his feeds.

I'll have to just wait for the Make A Page to be fixed. I don't have the 60 bux it takes to get the tool.

I downloaded the "free" trial but it only errors out by saying I can only use the SAS datafeeds. I was working with a datafeed that I downloaded from SAS so not sure what that error is about.

http and a telephoto
    It sure does. Though I have no idea why you'd want to use any other network's datafeed!!! (C'mon, I have to say that)

p.s. You're welcome.
    Jillery is a SAS client.. and if you were referring to Herb and not me, some of us have the full version
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Crocket, go download the regular trial version directly from Richard's site, it does work with up to 20 records.

Kind of Curious with the definition.
    I mean, if someone was to create a free alternative ... what is important?
    GC said it is doable there -> http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=80015
    Just thinking ... what do you desire?
    That seems to be a good starting point ... what is important/needed/desired?

I guess it pays to read instructions. I didn't realize the feeds had to be opened up in a spreadsheet program. I am def glad I didn't have the funds to make the purchase as I don't even have a spreadsheet program.

I guess I'm sol until the Make A Page is fixed. I know I can use the goldencan scripts, but I don't want a script, I like HTML.

ABW Ambassador
    Crocket, if you've got a Windows computer, chances are good that you've got Microsoft Works, which does include a spreadsheet program. Stay tuned, I'll see if it'll open up the files and do what needs to be done with them.

And there is an open source software suite available for download that has a spreadsheet program included. Open source = FREE.

Ok, I found the spreadsheet, you were right I have microsoft works (forgot lol)

I feel very stupid at this point. I thought I had it licked when I realized I had the spreadsheet, but I don't. When I open the datasheet file, I can't figure out how to sort out all the "what is apparantly supposed to be columns" All the information is showing in the first column.

I give up...and Brian can you now see why I am begging for the make a page to be fixed lol

I changed my mind...I refuse to give up.

Crocket, I don't have Webmerge, so I can't offer any tips but if you search for some of Mr. Sal's posts you will find a great deal of information.

I'd like Make-a-Page to be fixed as well
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hi Crocket

The links below will help you to get on the datafeed file

http://www.web-procreate.com/wm-what.htm

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

These links have been got from the forum itself, all the best. If you need any more help let me know via pm!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

ABW Ambassador
    This thread is about using WebMerge as a Makeapage alternative, and is obviously intended for those who have the program. For the sake of those of us who do have the program, other issues really should be brought up in another thread so that this one can stay on topic and not get hijacked.

The trial version of WebMerge can work very well with this, BTW. What it takes is breaking down the feed into separate and distinct spreadsheets by category and subcategory so that it works out to 20 records or less per page/run.

The most time consuming part is using Excel to divvy up the feed, but what ends up is happening is that it's actually a better way to construct search engine optimized pages.

Excellent, that means, webworker, you're making pages?

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent, that means, webworker, you're making pages?
    Yep! The first one went up yesterday to update an existing page and it looks no different than before, with or without using WebMerge; there are no tell-tale signs at all.

First test run I tried was Goodbulbs with tulips only because that feed is very simple, small and straightforward. It came up with an error which took a second to fix - hope this shows, something happened with opening the file to insert the extra character for space, which takes 5 seconds to fix:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/[WM-Field:%20ProductURL]">

[WM-Field: ProductName]
    [WM-Field: Copy]
    href="$[WM-Field">http://forum.abestweb.com/[WM-Field:%20ProductURL]">$[WM-Field: Price]
    Second test was pulling out one dinner category from Geno's Gourmet Station - also small and easy to divvy up the feed. Once those worked it was on to Crazy for Bargains, pulling out the categories and sub-categories I wanted, and on to the first page going up.

This is really a God-send, Carolyn you're a miracle worker! I've been trying to find out how to do up pages with several products on one page for about 9 months, and posted in the WM forum. There are ways, but they're too complicated for me and this works like a charm.

Incidentally, you can do this with a main category and have page breaks for the sub-categories once the sorts are done in Excel.

Glad to hear it!

ABW Ambassador
    Threads that go bump in the night
    I'm bumping this because I'm on a new computer and have to do up a couple of new templates, so I have to grab the files again. In a way this can be the handiest way to do up pages, rolling out a bunch at one time and then picking and choosing to refine the categories products displayed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast