Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buy.com - Exciting Changes
    ... And we have many more in the works for the remainder of the year including a program that we are excited about and will be rolling out in beta form later this week across all our inbound traffic including our affiliates. Starting on the eve of Wednesday, October 18th we will be displaying a 300x250 advertisement ROS including our product and search pages. Although we have been hesitant in the past to display any outside advertising on our affiliate referred pages, we believe this new program will be a win-win for both you and Buy.com allowing us to have a profitable fourth quarter while maintaining our competitive prices. Here's whyÖ
    • Most advertisers in this program will be brand-name advertisers who are excited to get their brand on Buy.com but ultimately will not be competing directly for an online sale. We won't accept ads from unsuitable advertisers and feel that this display of premium brands will add to our customer confidence.
    • In the case where we don't have a suitable advertiser, we'll link to a great Buy.com offer thus reinforcing our branding and messaging to your customers.
    • The affiliate cookie won't be broken. So even when your customer clicks on the ad and a new window opens up, you still get credit when that customer continues shopping at Buy.com in session and up to 14 days.
    • We are obliged to display ads but do not get paid on clicks or conversion. So we will continue to optimize for your sales as we have done in the past.
    As always our affiliates are important to us and we appreciate all that you are doing to help us improve our business. We will continue to block any potentially competitive programs from your referred traffic in an effort to remain partners with you. Stay tuned for more exciting promotions this year and for continued great deals. ...
    Are you excited?

Edited for spelling ... exciting was spelt exiting. Funny how the mind works.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I am really excited!

More commissions for me! Yay!

Seriously though, I think it is funny that we should be excited. But, if it is like they say, branding ads. Then, it should be relatively revenue neutral for affiliates as Buy.com is simpy trying to monetize traffic that is useless to us both. Still, not that exciting.

Since when were new leaks exciting?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

How excited would they be if the tracking network was the one who was doing the pop on affiliate traffic? They need to consider just whose traffic it is that they are selling.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I gueses I will ditch them just for newegg now

NICE NICE!!! Look forward into it!

Oh, how I love that spin; my taxes were getting too high anyway.

Here's the email I sent them this morning:

This is a very bad decision, and Iím offended that itís being spun as something good for affiliates.

A leak is anything that will lure a customer away from the merchant site without the affiliate getting compensated, and thatís exactly what youíre describing.

It doesnít matter if theyíre brand name advertisers. The more name recognition they have, the more customers theyíll pull from your site.

It doesnít matter if they donít compete with you. The ads will still divert some percent of customers away, decreasing our conversions and compensation.

It doesnít matter if our cookie is retained (although thatís good). The best opportunity for conversion is immediately after the customer clicks through, and if you divert the customers away through leaks like this, the damage is already done. Thereís some minor consolation in that the customer might return, but very few do.

It doesnít matter if you donít get compensated for clicks or conversions. Even if you didnít compensated for anything, it still diverts customers we send to you without compensating us in any way.

In the past, youíve done a very good job at identifying affiliate traffic and disabling advertising and other leaks for that affiliate traffic. Iím disappointed that youíre deviating from that practice.

Iím going to continue to promote Buy.com, but Iíll be watching my conversion ratio closely. If this affects my commissions, your placement on my sites will be adjusted accordingly.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

How about some branding ads that lead to Buy.com - Shop the Sony Department at Buy.com banner and the link to the Sony dept at Buy.com.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I see more then the typical Branded merchant banners on every product page. You also have leakage to outside competitors in the price comparision section of the detailed product page. Seems like your getting paid commissions on those too like any Super Affiliate. sample this great notebook... http://www.buy.com/prod/Sony_VAIO_SZ...203002759.html where PcNation has the lowest price with Free freight. Now if the buyer chooses the Buy.com Visa 30.00 off promo ( get a large spiff) and then jumps on the Google Checkout option spiff your price looks really good. So why even offer the comparision shopping leaks?? OH you get the commish!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mike, the price comparison you mentioned is a moot point. Click through an affiliate link, then look at the page again. The price comparison (and all other ads) are gone. Even the Yub.com links are gone. Buy.com has always been good about disabling the leaks for affiliate traffic.

The new 300x250 ads will be their first exception.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Exclamation New Ad on Buy.com
    Hi Michael,

I didn't get your email. Did you send it to me personally or to Commission Junction?

-Melissa

Price Comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    I see more then the typical Branded merchant banners on every product page. You also have leakage to outside competitors in the price comparision section of the detailed product page. Seems like your getting paid commissions on those too like any Super Affiliate. sample this great notebook... http://www.buy.com/prod/Sony_VAIO_SZ...203002759.html where PcNation has the lowest price with Free freight. Now if the buyer chooses the Buy.com Visa 30.00 off promo ( get a large spiff) and then jumps on the Google Checkout option spiff your price looks really good. So why even offer the comparision shopping leaks?? OH you get the commish!

Hi Ecomcity,

Mike is right, we do supress these from affiliate referred traffic. I will address the message board soon as the ad is live, so we can discuss the placement and I can address all concerns.

I can understand why this would be considered "leakage" however I am confident this will have no impact to the affiliate program referred sales. I have had many boardroom discussions on this topic and I have been assured that this will have no impact to affiliate referred sales. I too will be looking at CTR rates on these ads and if it ever poses a threat to affiliate referred sales, I will bring it to the top, promise.

I'll be back tomorrow with more,
    Melissa
    Director of Marketing, Buy.com

I can understand why this would be considered "leakage" however I am confident this will have no impact to the affiliate program referred sales.
    In any case, you are monetizing traffic that was generated by the affiliate. Some of the fancy weasel words can polish it up and make it sound pretty innocuous, but it is nothing more than a dandified form of stealing.

Someone around here once said something about "putting the perfume on the piglet". That just about sizes it up.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Melissa,

I replied to the announcement. It went to affiliates [at] buy [dot] com. It's exactly what was posted above. I'll forward a copy to you.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

feh ... nothing nice to say yet. Maybe later ... don't get your hopes up.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

ABW Ambassador
    "I can understand why this would be considered "leakage" however I am confident this will have no impact to the affiliate program referred sales."

Yes, it's a leak. Why don't you keep that from showing on affiliate referred traffic like you do with YUB and the other ads? So you have the ability to do that, not doing it is disrespectful to your affiliate base. If you expect no impact, don't even have it show at all.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I did just type in Buy.com as I'm like most all internet surfers capable of spelling it do. Years of affiliate branding sure helps for type-ins. Therefore I got the full diversion/leakage load. Love your site -ecatalog displays and broad range of products. What you suffer from in getting legit affiliate showcasing your products (not just coupon pushers) has a common cure for branded merchants... http://www.goldencan.com/AllMerchants.aspx

No way will a common Buy.com feed get a bookmark or SERP listing in compeition with the major Super Affiliate comparision shopping portals. You need GoldenCan as your cure to focusing affiliate site shoppers directly to a product they have interest in. All the crossmarketing white noise just stokes the Buy.com staff competing for numbers. Affiliates can only compete on creative pre-sell before sending shoppers through the major merchant cookie landmine field.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Got my first email with next weeks offers from buy.com since they announced the new leak. I will not post any.

300x250 Ads
    ABW'ers,

Please visit our homepage - as you can see Ė most of the ads in this placement are currently Buy.com ads. Its the 300x250 ad in the upper right hand side.

Hardware Geek - It is unfortunate that you will no longer will be promoting Buy.com as we are having a record month which means less commissions to you. I wish you would reconsider getting a piece of the pie....

Our affiliates are successful because we have the lowest prices on our products. These branding ads help us keep our position as the low price leader without causing any appreciable leakage.

Conversions continue to increase not decrease; please check the CJ interface!

We welcome you back, anytime....

Melissa

It's the principal. plus I can't claim your leaks as a cost of doing business on my tax return.

I have been pushing newegg now and it's working well.

Buy.com has the technology in place to not show these ads when an affiliate link has been clicked, but wants to go ahead with it anyway. This suggests that Buy.com wants to make money off of it's affiliate traffic, without compensating them for it.

Affiliate marketing is dependent on proper, leak-free compensation. If you can't pay me for revenue generating methods that you offer to my visitors, please don't offer them to my visitors.

Melissa, the email said "We are obliged to display ads but do not get paid on clicks or conversion", so I assume that you're being paid by the impression. If Buy.com really wants to show ads to our visitors and send our traffic to other sites, why not compensate us on a CPM basis with bonus at the end of the month?

My take on this whole thing is: Who cares?

With an epc around only $10 for buy.com, it's not like anyone was going to get rich with them anytime soon, leakage or no leakage...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    "With an epc around only $10 for buy.com, it's not like anyone was going to get rich with them anytime soon, leakage or no leakage..."

Some people have a lot higher EPC with a nice conversion rate

In this case I dont think Buy.com's current EPC matters much. They're a 5 bar merchant, which means that a significant amount of commissions are being produced through them, and therefore any leak is going to mean that affiliates take a hit.

I don't send much traffic at all to Buy.com. I've produced about $10,000 in sales with them this year. But Buy.com needs to realize that every time they make a move like this, it just gives affiliates another incentive to move their links away to merchants like Amazon.com.

Merchants who intentionally create leaks are, in my opinion, no better than affiliates who load affiliate links into 1x1 iframes. Both of these methods can be considered stealing, and it's a shame to see a well respected merchant like Buy.com, creating leaks when they have (and have used) the technology to not show these ads to affiliate generated traffic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast