our experience so far with SAS
    We have been an affiliate for over a month I guess.

Our program pays for leads -- the offer is a free first visit to a psychotherapist around the US. I don't want to promote our program here on this site so I'll leave it at that.

We have had a lot of "opportunity seeker" type publishers who have applied to sign up. These are by and large non-US sites (although plenty are in the US also) but the distinguishing factor is they are nothing but ads -- "free stuff dot com" type sites. Who wants to be on those anyway?

We have had a few publishers with relevant content join but these are small startup sites.

Our only affiliate that has done much is a yellow pages type site and the activity level is rather low.

So my question is "how do we promote our affiliate program?" and I spoke to Carolyn at SAS and she said we could purchase a listing at the top of one of the SAS website pages for a monthly fee. My experience with similar things is not good.

I am wondering what I should do to seek out the right type of publishers within the SAS network?

It would seem to me to be helpful if merchants could focus invitations to specific publishers, but the SAS system doesn't allow this.

I apologize if this is not appropriate for this particular forum or if I am breaking any rules -- thanks!

--Richard, capitalcounselors.com

Internet Cowboy
    The featured program on the first page an affiliate sees when they log in has enticed me to join several SAS merchants. Some of them have worked out, some have not, but that is good real estate if you have the right message. But any advertising you do on SAS should be secondary. You have to manage your program, get out there and find publishers in your niche and make deals with them. A network is not a recruiter, a network is the fiduciary between you and your publishers.

There are lots of great Affiiate Managers at this forum who would be happy to chat with you and head you in the right direction.

I agree with Scooter. And yours is a very niche market, not like products for car parts or clothing. You need to be out there working with affiliates and letting them know what you are all about. I primarily only do products so someone would need to convince me to put up links like yours. Niche markets are good, though, if you find the right affiliates. You've already done the right thing by joining SAS, also good asking Carolyn for suggestions and five stars for coming here for more info. You are on the right path. Keep going and don't take any detours.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I agree with Scooter. And yours is a very niche market, not like products for car parts or clothing. You need to be out there working with affiliates and letting them know what you are all about. I primarily only do products so someone would need to convince me to put up links like yours. Niche markets are good, though, if you find the right affiliates. You've already done the right thing by joining SAS, also good asking Carolyn for suggestions and five stars for coming here for more info. You are on the right path. Keep going and don't take any detours.
    Thanks for the helpful comments. But let me ask, why a niche product? In fact any person may want therapy. Most people (like myself) don't work on their own cars. And clothing is clearly a number of niches (runners, off-price juniors, or whatever...I'm no clothing expert )

I think we have a very horizontal package. That said, I'd like to find sites related to health and beauty, advice, family, that type of stuff. I think our ads would do okay for stuff like forums or chat that may have trouble attracting CPMs of more than a few cents.

I know a forum, where it seems, at least, half the posters need therapy. And, I mean that! They really do. Would you object to your program having an affiliate link in a poster's signiture on a forum?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Everyone needs clothes (why underwear sites do so well), but not everyone gets therapy in their lifetime, therefore I tend to call it a niche market as it is not something for everyone. Someone else may call it something else.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I know a forum, where it seems, at least, half the posters need therapy. And, I mean that! They really do. Would you object to your program having an affiliate link in a poster's signiture on a forum?

I knew I'd seen your screen name somewhere else. It wouldn't happen to be GG&J? or netpond?

Quote Originally Posted by cognitivefun
    -- the offer is a free first visit to a psychotherapist around the US-- "free stuff dot com" type sites. Who wants to be on those anyway?
    Hmmm, well your offer seems to fit with those sites content exactly and it would seem that people who frequent freebie type sites are consumers as well, and many probably need therapy and what better than a free visit to prompt them to get it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Post a banner here at ABW. Hopefully you work on a group rate or offer a 12 step withdrawl type program for the addicts here.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    No I would have no objection.

As to the "free stuff sites", I can't imagine these being good for anyone. We don't want bargain hunters. We want "buyers". In our case, someone serious about therapy but not someone who is looking at a mental health site.

Our ideal site is a broad range of health and beauty and entertainment and many other things. Not sites offering nothing but ads for free stuff which I doubt serve anyone very well.

YES, putting your banner or advertisement at valuable spaces of SAS affiliate control panel is very valuable. I personal do notice them and make sure I investigate further.

SAS is becoming a major network, if they are not considered one already. I recommend SAS to merchants at least twice a week.

If you do not have a datafeed file yet, you should definitely consider adding one through SAS also.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by DataFeedFile.com
    If you do not have a datafeed file yet, you should definitely consider adding one through SAS also.
    LOL, Andrew, this is a merchant that WOULDN'T have a datafeed.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Don't feel bad, cognitivefun - The company I work for just started a program, too, and we're getting the same kind of stuff. We sell a lot of pretty mainstream gift stuff like video fireplaces and aquariums, plus some educational and manufacturing DVDs (potentially large commissions, even).

Unfortunately, we've seen very few clicks so far, and most of the new affiliates are the sites that just throw up a bunch of links and wait for money. If anyone more experienced is reading, I have two questions: (1) Do those sites actually bring good traffic? and (2) How long did it take before you started seeing actual sales come in?

Your feedback is appreciated. I've been on the affiliate end of things, but this is my first time on the merchant side.

yo cognitive.

maybe we could speak on a personal level sometime & trade services. i'm having the same problem as you; therapize me & i'll give you a beautiful piece of crystal. :-P

ohh, jumbyjay!!

join us! :-D suicide pact anyone?

I know a forum, where it seems, at least, half the posters need therapy. And, I mean that! They really do.
    After the last few days, I believe you mean THIS forum... And affiliate links are prohibited...

j/k. Still love you guys.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by rockybalboa11
    yo cognitive.

maybe we could speak on a personal level sometime & trade services. i'm having the same problem as you; therapize me & i'll give you a beautiful piece of crystal. :-P
    I would love to therapize myself some time!!

Quote Originally Posted by cognitivefun
    * * * So my question is "how do we promote our affiliate program?" and I spoke to Carolyn at SAS and she said we could purchase a listing at the top of one of the SAS website pages for a monthly fee. My experience with similar things is not good. // I am wondering what I should do to seek out the right type of publishers within the SAS network? * * *
    Get out of the sandbox.

The network (whether it's SAS or another) is never going to bring you your affiliates. Instead, you are going to recruit your own affiliates. You need to do that: identify good prospective partners, and recruit them with emails and phone calls. Take the data from your other advertising and apply it here. Don't be passive, waiting for webmaster to find you. Reach out.

There are dozens of discussion threads on ABW about this -- every single one ends up with the same advice: recruit, recruit, recruit.

I don't know if a featured listing on the SAS site will be helpful; nor can I predict whether a paid "affiliate announcement" here on ABW will drive meaningful affiliates to you. My hunch is, "probably not," though I certainly could be wrong -- there may be some strong lead-based affiliates who would find you this way.

As the son of Psychiatrist and a Social Worker I feel compelled to respond...

Mark's hit the nail on the head. Your best prospects aren't going to find you, you're going to have to find them. Fortunately, with the power of the Internet, that's doable.

Search for websites that attract people with interest in therapy and also accept advertising. You might find some websites interested in becoming affiliates here; http://www.google.com/Top/Health/Men...ling_Services/. You can fine tune that search above through the Google Directory http://www.google.com/dirhp?hl=en to find websites that are an even better fit. When you've found a few sites you'd like to contact, create a brief email explaining the features and benefits of your program, then personalize it and send it off. If you have the time, contact the sites you feel are the best fit by phone.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread